Linked brake bleeding, anyone else have to do this?

I recently rebuilt all 3 brake calipers on my 96 ST1100 ABS with linked brakes and had a problem getting a proper bleed when just following my Clymer service manual or reading online tech articles. After rebuilding calipers, mounting and reconnecting brake lines, I filled both brake fluid reservoirs and went one by one to each of the 9 bleeder nipples but was only able to suck fluid and air from 8 of them. Using a vacuum bleeder I could not pull anything from the rear bleed screw on the rear caliper, see below:

After reading how linked brakes work on the ST, I realized the secondary master cylinder on the front fork needed activating for this particular brake circuit to work (rear caliper, two outer pistons). So I did this to activate the circuit and allow me to pull air and fluid through.

In the end I was able to get a successful bleed on this circuit and am happy with it, just wondering if others had to do this when working with linked brakes and a system completely purged of fluid?

Thanks

-mtnpat

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I recently rebuilt all 3 brake calipers on my 96 ST1100 ABS with linked brakes and had a problem getting a proper bleed when just following my Clymer service manual or reading online tech articles. After rebuilding calipers, mounting and reconnecting brake lines, I filled both brake fluid reservoirs and went one by one to each of the 9 bleeder nipples but was only able to suck fluid and air from 8 of them. Using a vacuum bleeder I could not pull anything from the rear bleed screw on the rear caliper, see below:

After reading how linked brakes work on the ST, I realized the secondary master cylinder on the front fork needed activating for this particular brake circuit to work (rear caliper, two outer pistons). So I did this to activate the circuit and allow me to pull air and fluid through.

In the end I was able to get a successful bleed on this circuit and am happy with it, just wondering if others had to do this when working with linked brakes and a system completely purged of fluid?

Thanks

-mtnpat
Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to do my '01.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Finished the brakes the other day. The same thing happened. Couldn't draw new fluid down from that bleeder too. Think I read somewhere that it has to do with the secondary master and not to worry about it. Bleeding the brakes worked just fine.

ST1100Rider on Tapatalk Pro

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Thanks for the post... I haven't had the pleasure of working on a 1100 with linked brakes yet, so I will keep it in mind if and when that day comes.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Is there a thread here anywhere with the linked brake bleeding sequence? I had problems bleeding that rear nipple as well.

Top Bottom