OBD II

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Hello,
I just got a nifty OBDlink bluetooth code scanner for use on my truck. I use it with the included programs and
Torque Pro (available from the Google store). I've seen mention of using it with some motorcycles and that
got me wondering whether the ST1300 is OBD II compliant or not. Is it?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
There is no OBD II port on the ST, and few, if any, motorcycles have them.

--Mark

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it didn't but saw a mention of it on the KTM 990 SMT. Such a port
would sure be fun and useful in the event of a problem. I ASSUME that Honda tech's can connect to some
sort of port and read error codes.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Ktm and triumph do. Its nice being able to hook up an obd2 reader / scan tool. Too bad honda is so secretive, as that would open up a world of possibilities.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Awakening a zombie thread because I got an WiFi OBD2 Sending unit to use in the Miata with the Dash Command app.

It's amazing for $30 to have access to performance data like skid pan figures, accelerometer as well as engine sensor data, codes, etc, speed, rpm, coolant, fuel trim, mpg & trip computer functions and display it on my phone/iPad. I wish the ST or NC had a OBD2 port.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I know a couple of friends that recently bought new '16 FJRs and there's supposedly some kind of adapter to be made available that allows reading codes with an OBD II scanner. Not sure if this adapter will be a dealer only thing or something that will be available to buy.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well for those with 2008 or newer ST1300 HealTech does offer an ODB tool.

$229 is a bit much considering considering the bluetooth OBD II ones that work with phones/computers only cost $30 or less. Still, I'm sure that's less than the factory tool.

My bluetooth OBDII reader uses my cell phone gps and accelerometer to give me all kinds of performance data. When connected to my laptop, it also provides links for repair articles on the fault codes.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
$229 is a bit much considering considering the bluetooth OBD II ones that work with phones/computers only cost $30 or less.
You have the option of buying a $30 OBD II scanner, but I want to be there to watch while you figure out where to plug it into your ST. OBD II tools are dirt cheap because they can be made and sold in large quantities. Just about every car and truck on the planet has one; bikes don't and won't until governments start making rules requiring them.

HealTech is selling an "on-board diagnostics" tool for motorcycles. It's a specialty item and they're probably not going to make a lot of them, which is why it's going to be more expensive. The cheap scanners also don't include supported software and updates for the life of the product.

The Honda Diagnostic System for its cars runs north of $7,500 for its cars and over $1,000 for annual maintenance of the software and a subscription to the service data. Makes a one-time payment of $299 look dirt cheap.

If they supported pre-2008 STs, there'd be one in my toolbox.

--Mark

Top Bottom