New 1000 V-Strom Announced

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
LINKY

Well equipped, well integrated, light in weight, and not nearly as ugly as a GS. I kinda like it.

(Check out the interactive brochure at the bottom of the story.)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe it will be at the shows next month. Sometimes seeing a bike in real life affirms it's not nearly as ugly as a picture of it.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I like it too. Nice bunch of accessories. Good job Suz.

How much? Did I skip over that ... ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Still has a beak.....
That it does, though not as comically huge as the beak on the new GS.

Interesting that the 1000 V-Strom sales literature includes a photo of the 1988 DR750S. I've seen the Suzuki faithful point to this bike in reminding the BMW faithful that the first on/off road bike with a beak was not the GS. For whatever that's worth.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Why do y'all want shaft drive & cruise? There is nothing wrong with chain drive. It's a whole pile of rocks lighter than shaft, and it keeps the cost down. Isn't the Strom supposed to be a tame adventure bike? I guess I don't get why anyone would want the same thing as a BMW GS/Triumph Explorer/Yamaha Tenere/Moto Guzzi Stelvio in another badge.
+1 Dave. Same folks prolly want CC on the F6B too. They make them different so they will be different. But then,,different strokes,,,:D

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Why do y'all want shaft drive & cruise? There is nothing wrong with chain drive. It's a whole pile of rocks lighter than shaft, and it keeps the cost down. Isn't the Strom supposed to be a tame adventure bike? I guess I don't get why anyone would want the same thing as a BMW GS/Triumph Explorer/Yamaha Tenere/Moto Guzzi Stelvio in another badge.
Cruise in invaluable to me when having to drone on the highway for hours. I would never be w/o cruise again after having it. As far as shaft drive....Personally, I like not having to worry about chain lube or the mess.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Droning along on the highway for hours with a cruise control set at 9 over is not what the Stroms were designed for.
I'd say Strom riders search out more enjoyable roads.
Sometimes you have to drone along the highway for hours to get to the more enjoyable roads

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Not to mention the ability to change sprockets to match different riding situations!;)
Can't do that with a shaft!!!:noway
Can too. Honda did it with a CB 900 something many years ago and also one of their little tiddlers. Not exactly "change the sprockets" but a 2 speed jack shaft, hi and lo range at the back of the tranny. They sure could do that on a medium size ADV bike. Doubt we'll see any such but don't say it can't be done. :D

Top Bottom