New 1000 V-Strom Announced

Bike
2006 ST1300
The Adventure is $13,999. And even at $2100 I'd much rather have shaft, and all the refinements the Yamaha offers. Considering the Suzuki gained it's reputation as a good budget adventure bike, the price sure went up. Exactly one year ago I was offered a brand new DL650 for $7200 out the door at Dalton Mtn in Lancaster, NH. Another $250 for the full luggage set (special deal being offered at the time). I really wanted to go for it but my employment situation was uncertain at the time. Glad I waited. I would call $7450 for a midsize chain drive adventure bike a good deal. $12,700-$14k....even for the increased displacement...no thanks.

If they are going to price their bikes above $10k, especially that far above it, Suzuki needs to get on the ball and switch to shaft drive.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I paid $7750 for my new DL1000K6 in April 2006 (it's MSRP was $8700 IIRC). For this new DL1000, I was expecting a MSRP of under $11000, so $12700 seems a bit steep to me. It appears they've addressed the vague front suspension and brakes, and added ABS, but it still seems a bit steep. The beak is one of the best looking beaks I've seen--perhaps that is worth $1000 all by itself!
;-)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, at that price point I'd go with the Super Tenere.

Put me down as a liker of the beak. I was hoping for a little lower price but for now it is at the top of my wish list. I use to have an SV 1000 and that motor was strong. What I like most about it is the lower weight. For me I'll pass on the shaft for the lower weight. When I got my ST new in '04 I told the wife I will probably have it forever, the only thing is I wasn't planning on was my wrist arthritis getting worse. It actully hurts to get it off the side stand and push it around the garage. My '08 Concours is about 40-50 pounds lighter but feels hundreds less than the ST for some reason. My only other concern, now that the price has been announced, is the seat height, it still shows TBA.

False alarm. The bike shown at Holeshot was built by them as a dealer intro bike, but it is being toured around by Suzuki for dealer eyes only at this point. Official release will be in March.

I was told that Canada will not be getting the full adventure model next year. Canada will have the base bike for $12k or the base bike plus two side bags installed for $13k.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think the base model would be fine... the only real difference between the two is aftermarket-ish stuff that you can get yourself at the same price or better stuff at close to the difference. It's not like the GS Adventure version which gives you a different bike w/better wheels, suspension travel, larger tank.

Oh well, winter is coming so no reason to rush into anything anyway.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Bikes, like everything else, just continue to go up in price. We're not rich by any means, but we decided long ago to buy it it's want it and can afford it after all our other financial obligations are met. It's just going to cost more next year anyway. That doesn't mean we don't look for the best buy, but life is short.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
And another review http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/235/17575/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Suzuki-V-Strom-1000-First-Ride.aspx

A definite improvement over the old DL1000 in the driveability area... rightly or wrongly I always thought of the DL1000 as a bit of a slug with it's low gearing, etc. but this one has a bit more juice and the torque down lower. It weighs just a tad more than the DL650, and if you think the gearing is a bit tall, it's pretty easy to change out a sprocket...... anyway, one day I'll get a ride on one and look at a used one. For those wanting new, a couple of dealers tell me Suzi is quick to offer rebates for some reason, so patience is a virtue.....

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
And another review http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/235/17575/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Suzuki-V-Strom-1000-First-Ride.aspx

A definite improvement over the old DL1000 in the driveability area... rightly or wrongly I always thought of the DL1000 as a bit of a slug with it's low gearing, etc. but this one has a bit more juice and the torque down lower. It weighs just a tad more than the DL650, and if you think the gearing is a bit tall, it's pretty easy to change out a sprocket...... anyway, one day I'll get a ride on one and look at a used one. For those wanting new, a couple of dealers tell me Suzi is quick to offer rebates for some reason, so patience is a virtue.....
You would really like this bike Ray. So it up close and personal at the IMC show in NYC yesterday. Bones is right a lot better looking bike than the Bimmer.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Having read the forums on vstrom.co.uk from vstrom owners who have been to open days and viewed the new DL1000 at the nec bike show,the reports aren't good,main issues are the price,build quality and cost of accessories,many of which should be standard.enough to put me off buying one.
Also just read a review in the current issue of ride magazine on the crosstourer dct,again the issues highlighted would also put me off the crosstourer,weighing 320 kg with luggage,fueled up.the top box also leaked which isn't good.
looks like I'll be sticking with my Vfr800fi and ST1100,might consider selling the ST at some point and getting the new type DL650 or something of that type with lighter weight and better fuel economy.
From the comments of vstrom owners it doesn't look like the new vee is going to be a big seller.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Reading more road tests, including one from Motorcycle Daily, with testers favorably impressed. Looks like a poor man's MultiStrada to me. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

LINKY

Well equipped, well integrated, light in weight, and not nearly as ugly as a GS. I kinda like it.

(Check out the interactive brochure at the bottom of the story.)
Let's not let our rose colored glasses destroy the fact that it's not going to be confused with a DUCATI Monster, or insert sexy bike here.

Highly doubt any serious adventure bike owners are terribly concerned with aesthetics. Function first, form a way distant consideration.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Well...sure. "Poor man's" does not mean one confuses it with the other, simply that it's a less expensive approach in a similar category. That said, I do like the new Strom and look forward to checking seeing one. Look forward to seeing a new RT, a new Ninja 1000, a new FJR...

Bike
Vstrom 650
The bike is supposed to be in my local dealer this week so hope to get a test ride,interested to know the price in the USA or Canada, it's 13,950 euros on the road here,that's roughly equal to $19,000 American. that's just the basic bike bike,no extras.

Top Bottom