Garmin TPMS

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
After a long delay I added the TPMS to my 390. It needed the metal valves so I waited to till I needed tires to make the switch on the FJR. After a long weekend trip, I can report the system works great.

No wires and easy connection with the 390. The interface is intuitive and colorful. Set the low pressure alarm for you desired PSI, and you're good to go. Now I always know what's going on with my tires without getting on the ground each morning with a gauge, and have on the fly PSI numbers whenever I want.

Ok I have 3 bikes, how do I need to do this?

-just switch out the caps to whatever bike I'm gonna ride. I'd leave the profile as is (the low pressure same PSI for any one bike)

-buy more caps. Would that mean I'd have to delete the current paired and reconnect to the bike I'm gonna ride?

-the unit allows a 4 wheel profile. Pair 1 and 2 to the FJR, 3 and 4 to the RT? An worry about the Honda later?

I'm wondering what happens when I ride the FJR with caps 1 and 2 and go out of range on caps 3 and 4? I gotta reconnect them when I get back? I hope I explained this in a way y'all can understand.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
1. Switching caps - cheapest but biggest hassle
2. Buying more caps - cleanest, but you would have to 're-pair' when you moved the GPS
3. 4 Wheel Profile - May or may not work - you'd have to try it and see and it still leaves the ST1300 out

This is based on my experience with my Hawkshead systems but most TPMS systems function about the same. I bought a Hawkshead system for each bike to avoid the same hassle.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have no experience with Garmin TPMS and I do not sleep at a Holidy Express.

But.. in the world of bicycles and the Garmin Edge GPS they olet you set up different profiles for sensors that track other things (wheel rotation, crank rotation, etc). If you had different sensors on each bike you just selected the appropriate profile and it listened for inputs from those paired sensors. Ignoring anything else.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
1. Switching caps - cheapest but biggest hassle
2. Buying more caps - cleanest, but you would have to 're-pair' when you moved the GPS
3. 4 Wheel Profile - May or may not work - you'd have to try it and see and it still leaves the ST1300 out
Additional options:
4. Buy a GPS for each motorcycle.
5. Sell all but 1 motorcycle.

:)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's what I did. I put on a 'TireGard (13-315U) Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor System' on each of my 1 bikes. :D
With my Hawkshead TPMS and Chinavasion 5" GPS, I'm still way below the price of a Garmin GPS/TPMS. ;-) In fact, with the recent group buy price on the TPMS, I could have almost bought both for all three ST1100s for about what a new GARMIN 590 ZUMO (or the current flavor of the week) costs. I like the Hawkshead over the Tireguard because at the time the Tireguard 'head' was not waterproof, IIRC.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Cos Baker holds all the aces he says

6. Buy a TPMS for each bike ...

Man you can't hide money.

I worked on this today. Best I can figure I use the 4 wheel profile and buy caps 3 and 4 if I want to go the easy route. The garmin will only store 1 profile. I'm thinking this needs a software update so a guy can store at least 3 profiles. I reckon garmin doesn't hang around enough to know a lot of jokers have more than 1 bike (at least they do around here lol). What I want is to bring up the menu with my 3 bikes in the profile list and just tab the one I need and good to go.

Short of that, I'm just gonna switch the caps around lol. The RT and FJR each are equipped with Pilot Roads (soon the Honda) I won't need to change the alarm for low PSI. I won't switch them for everyday use, but if I'm gonna go on a trip or long day ride, I will. It takes about 1 min, but I gotta get on the ground. My guess that route would be quicker than having to re pair each time.

The unit so far is dead on accurate when compared with my gauge ( I was curious and checked). The caps, like all garmin stuff is pricey coming in at 70$ per cap. But the garmin will have stuff baked in the software you won't find anywhere else. But mostly the garmin is what I know and I'm not up to learning new mapping software. I had a hard enough time learning basecamp.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I recently added a second 390 for my Honda Si 4 wheeler. I enjoy the Si as much as my motorcycles, but it needed a nav system. I went with the pricey 390 because I know the menus and and has advanced TPMS. The Si has TPMS but it will only tell ya the psi in one of your tires is LOW. It won't even tell ya which one, or how many. The garmin will display PSI in each tire on a seperate screen, and you can set the custom warnings to whatever you like. The Si has expensive summer tires, that will wear out quick enough when properly inflated, so I wanted to stay on top of that as much as possible.

I can report the system works well on my motorcycles. I decided to stay with just 2 caps. Just too much trouble to pair a different set of caps with the zumo each time. I just leave the caps on whatever bike I took the last long ride on. It takes about 10 seconds to put the caps on.

Top Bottom