Garmin TPMS

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Has anyone used the Garmin TPMS? It's a valve cap replacement type that syncs with the Zumo 390LM.
I tried searching ST-owners but didn't find anything. The 390 is super pricey but this could be the start of something.
While searching "garmin tpms" on amazon I also saw that Orange has a GPS unit with integrated cage TPMS and a "kitchen-sink" no-name unit that did GPS, TPMS, camcorder, and a couple other things.
Companies can do amazing things when there is money to be made, with Bluetooth 4.0 Low Power technology I can't see why there won't be sensors that can be installed that easily connect to GPS, smartphones, etc, that don't require a dedicated monitor.
The other possibility is that these products already exist and I just haven't researched enough!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yeah... something make sense to be put together. Like let's build the VCR and DVD player into the TV...

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned the kitchen sink product, my main point was that with an item like the pressure sensors the use of BT4.0 low power standard is a perfect fit and the sensor wouldn't have to be married to a specific display unit.
Adding the simple task of tire pressure monitoring to a GPS unit is a no-brainer as it's one less place you have to look at besides the road.
I suspect we'll look back on the current state of TPMS in 5 years and laugh about how far things have come.
For the record: I'm a wires over wireless guy but there is some tech that benefits from wireless. Also I will concede that wireless technology has come pretty far since I dismissed it all as a fad long ago.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Adding the simple task of tire pressure monitoring to a GPS unit is a no-brainer as it's one less place you have to look at besides the road.
I think you are onto something here.. except I would rather see the TPMS be added to the phone that replaced my GPS/music player/communication center. Soon as Android starts supporting BT4, someone make the sensor and the app for that.

Tuesday morning my TPMS saved my hide. After taking a trip to NYC and the bike being in the garage for 4 days, I hopped on Tuesday morning, half groggy from the quick trip and headed into work. Before I was out of the driveway the red light was lit and showed 22# in my rear tire. Doh!

Quick stop at the gas station down the street for a shot of air and I was able to monitor it for the ride into work and back home. Seeing it wasn;t quickly deflating I wasn't too worried about riding on it. If I didn't have the active monitoring I would have been worried that I might lose air faster and would have left the bike at home.

So is it a safety net thing or a procrastinating device?

But back to the original thought. No thanks is my thought to Garmin making a proprietary GPS/TPMS, but yes to BT4 TPMS units. Preferably internal, removes chance of theft and more accurate temperature.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I saw the Garmin TPMS system and was thinking of trying it. I saw that the literature suggested that you needed metal valve stems. My valve stems look to be non-metal. Any idea why metal valve stems might be required? Seems like a great device to me. I like having TPMS in my Corvette. It's a great sensor to have.

Joel

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Metal valve stems are required because the added weight of the TPMS sensor (which replaces the lightweight valve stem cap) can cause the rubber ones to fold over due to centrifugal force when the tire is spinning 'fast'--if it folds over, it can easily fail and the tire goes flat in a couple seconds. I would also recommend not installing these TPMS sensors on an ariette-type metal valve stem either given that the TPMS sensor will add a lot of load to the joint and seal which the ariette-type valve stem relies on. The best configuration for adding such a TPMS sensor is on a short, stocky, metal valve stem, the tip of the valve stem pointing at the wheel's axle.

I like that Garmin is selling the TPMS and links them to their Zumo. :yes:

Bike
2006 ST1300
BakerBoy,

Thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure how sensitive the stems would be. I need to calibrate!

Joel

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have been looking more seriously at the Zumo 390LM, and as I did that, I noticed that the Zumo 350LM can be purchased for $500 now, versus the $700 for the 390. In order to actually get TPMS functionality, we still have to buy two sensors, which add another $140 to the price of the 390. I see that stand-alone TPMS units are priced all over the map, but it looks like good units are in the $200 range. Using a stand alone TPMS system with a Zumo 350LM is more cost effective, but it uses a separate display. I know there are pros and cons of that, and that's exactly what's keeping me from making a buying decision this moment. I haven't figured out a reasonable path yet. In an ideal world, the equipment would last a long time, be accurate, and be integrated all in one display to keep it simple and pleasing to the eye.

If the Zumo 390LM with it's TPMS is an excellent system, then perhaps it would be worth the premium over the Zumo 350LM with stand alone TPMS. But, I just haven't found enough data on it to give me enough feedback either way. If anyone has any experience with the Garmin TPMS, I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience. Are these Garmin sensors good? Is there a stand alone TPMS that's significantly better in terms of accuracy and reliability?

Joel

Bike
2005 ST1300
John,

Any recommendations for the stem? I just had a slap myself on the forehead moment when reading the Zumo 590 manual where it said to use metal stems and remembering that you already told me that the other weekend. :think1:

Also, for anyone who's interested, the Garmin TPMS is 9.1 grams vs. 0.3 grams for a cheap plastic one.

Metal valve stems are required because the added weight of the TPMS sensor (which replaces the lightweight valve stem cap) can cause the rubber ones to fold over due to centrifugal force when the tire is spinning 'fast'--if it folds over, it can easily fail and the tire goes flat in a couple seconds. I would also recommend not installing these TPMS sensors on an ariette-type metal valve stem either given that the TPMS sensor will add a lot of load to the joint and seal which the ariette-type valve stem relies on. The best configuration for adding such a TPMS sensor is on a short, stocky, metal valve stem, the tip of the valve stem pointing at the wheel's axle.

I like that Garmin is selling the TPMS and links them to their Zumo. :yes:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Mark, I haven't bought and mounted any yet, but I found these online and was going to order them (and a different TPMS) for myself just as garmin released the 590: Gorilla Automotive VS402C Inner Mount Valve Stems (nut on inside) . The VS401C also looked interesting (nut on outside). As soon as I found out about the 590, I cancelled plans for a standalone TPMS.

In any case, our ST rims use 11.3mm valve stem hole (aka 0.453"),and most auto parts store will have something equivalent to the Gorilla ones I mentioned above.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks! I have the ST in the shop right now (front fork seals started to leak) so I'm going to see if they can install some while the have the bike. I leave Friday for Seattle and am a little under the gun :) Otherwise I'll have to find something like those. Thanks for the specs on the stems!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I would also recommend not installing these TPMS sensors on an ariette-type metal valve stem either given that the TPMS sensor will add a lot of load to the joint and seal which the ariette-type valve stem relies on.

NO! Please don't say I have to LOOSE MY ARIETTES! :cus:

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I have the garmin 390, but not installed the TPMS yet. I have 2 bikes. The RT has metal valves but no power cord or cradle. The Honda has the cradle and cord that came in the box but no metal valves.

My plan is install the metal valves on the honda when I change the tires out in prep for long trip in August. Untill then I figured no need in gettin the sensors.

When I get back from out west I'm gonna buy the power cord and cradle for the RT. Unlike the 550 the cradle can't be switched from bike to bike without a bunch of trouble (power cord is runs under the ram mount)

Other wise the 390 is great. Slick interface, slim case, well thought out, excellent GPS functions, readable in bright light, lifetime maps. The garmin products I own (fitness watches, nuvi, and the 390) all have great functionality. I've been using their fitness products since they came out in 2004? I upgrade every time they release one, and each have been significant improvesment over the prior. You can tell those watches are designed by runners, it has stuff you don't find on the others, and I find that to be true on the zumo line. Same for the 390 vs the 550. It doesn't have the mp3 player, but don't listen to music ridin, or tawk on the phone. Can you still buy a mp3 model?

Any trouble I've had on a bike has been 96% something to do with the tires. Having on the fly feedback on whats goin on with them is indeed valuable info to have.

Nothing wrong with a stand alone TPMS but I'd hafta to buy TWO. I was vexxed to learn I coudn't just switch the cradle between my bikes, the way I did with the 550. I reckon garmin learned alot jokers have TWO bikes so made sure the power cord would have to be removed each time you wanted to take the cradle off, so they could make that money to. I'll have 2 of everything but the device, so there ya go.

Question. I'm gonna have sensors on both bikes. Say the device is paired with the Honda, but today I'm gonna ride the RT. I'm wonder how many sensors the device can pair to? Reckon I can tab to a list? Or am I likely gonna have to pair it each time I change? And if so am I gonna hafta to get outta range of the last pair before connecting?

Bike
1994 ST1100
I have Garmin Zumo and their TPMS caps. First when I installed them I was loosing connection all the time. So I called Garmin and they told me that I have to install metal stems for connectivity. Not for the weight of the caps. They work good when connected bud until I change those valve stems...
i was really frustrated at Garmin for not mentioning this issue in description. But I'm planning to swap stems one way or another soon and then I'll know for sure if it was worth to spend that much money.
I'll keep you posted

Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300
It's pretty new to me and I haven't set up my TPMS just yet, but in the setup on the TPMS app on the 590, you can select the vehicle type (motorcycle, three wheels (two front, one back), Three wheels (one front, two back), three wheels (motorcycle + sidecar) and 4 wheels. I wonder if you could use it in auto mode and just have the left tires be the BMW and the right tires operate as the Honda? Not sure what that would do for the alerting functions for low pressure, though.

I have the garmin 390, but not installed the TPMS yet. I have 2 bikes. The RT has metal valves but no power cord or cradle. The Honda has the cradle and cord that came in the box but no metal valves.

My plan is install the metal valves on the honda when I change the tires out in prep for long trip in August. Untill then I figured no need in gettin the sensors.

When I get back from out west I'm gonna buy the power cord and cradle for the RT. Unlike the 550 the cradle can't be switched from bike to bike without a bunch of trouble (power cord is runs under the ram mount)

Other wise the 390 is great. Slick interface, slim case, well thought out, excellent GPS functions, readable in bright light, lifetime maps. The garmin products I own (fitness watches, nuvi, and the 390) all have great functionality. I've been using their fitness products since they came out in 2004? I upgrade every time they release one, and each have been significant improvesment over the prior. You can tell those watches are designed by runners, it has stuff you don't find on the others, and I find that to be true on the zumo line. Same for the 390 vs the 550. It doesn't have the mp3 player, but don't listen to music ridin, or tawk on the phone. Can you still buy a mp3 model?

Any trouble I've had on a bike has been 96% something to do with the tires. Having on the fly feedback on whats goin on with them is indeed valuable info to have.

Nothing wrong with a stand alone TPMS but I'd hafta to buy TWO. I was vexxed to learn I coudn't just switch the cradle between my bikes, the way I did with the 550. I reckon garmin learned alot jokers have TWO bikes so made sure the power cord would have to be removed each time you wanted to take the cradle off, so they could make that money to. I'll have 2 of everything but the device, so there ya go.

Question. I'm gonna have sensors on both bikes. Say the device is paired with the Honda, but today I'm gonna ride the RT. I'm wonder how many sensors the device can pair to? Reckon I can tab to a list? Or am I likely gonna have to pair it each time I change? And if so am I gonna hafta to get outta range of the last pair before connecting?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If you want an option for metal valve stems, which allow you to mount the sensors externally, yet not have to remove them to add air...... t-stems from tpms.ca
I have these on my bike and they work great to put the sensors in the middle of the wheel and between the rotors, while having a 90 degree stem to add air. I do not worry much about sensors being stolen, they're mostly proprietary and won't work with any other system....... who'd want them?

Top Bottom