Thread: ST1300 oil filter removal

Bike
    ST1300
    My Gallery

ST1300 oil filter removal

This weekend, I will be doing an oil change on my ST1300. I've looked under the bike, and the process looks straightforward, but removing the oil filter looks like it may have a trick. I'm not concerned about spilling oil, as I think I can mostly prevent that. I'm more concerned about the access to remove and install the oil filter. This is a bike where a lift looks like it would be helpful.

Searching on here, it appears that some take off the lower fairing, near the side stand for better access. Others say, no need. It appears to me that to torque it properly, the lower fairing may need to be off.

So, lower fairing on or off for oil filter removal and install? Any other pointers would be much appreciated!

2. › Site Search for: ST1300 oil filter removal

Re: ST1300 oil filter removal

No need to remove any fairings. I find it easier to reach in underneath from the right side of the bike. Tighten the new filter up by hand and you will be good to go.
    Andrew

Bike
    2005 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

I put foil in the search field and this is the first post that popped up. It's a good read.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...e-final-drive)

ForumST ForumsTechnicalCleaning, Oil, Maint. 30 Minute Oil Change (engine/final drive)
    Last edited by Al Gully; 09-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Al
    2005 ST1300A
    2010 Uni Go Trailer

Bike
    07 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Put the bike on the side stand, take a piece of foil and cover up the exhaust and lower plastic remove oil filter from right side. If it is real tight you may need an oil filter wrench to remove old filter.
    R.I.P. Terry 'ACL' Hammond ___ R.I.P. Bob Donaldson

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I never understood why some have problems. Yes, the filter is in kind of a tight spot but it's not too bad. I put it on the center stand; drain oil; remove filter with a small strap wrench from the left side of the bike; install new filter hand tight; fill with oil. Shoot center stand with brake cleaner to get off the few drops of oil that will get on it. Done, 8 minute oil change (or less).
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 GYTT
    IBA #47373

Bike
    10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Not that I haven't removed a few oil filters in my day, but the one reason I spend the extra bucks on K&N 204 Oil Filter is so I don't have to worry about getting it off!

If you have a filter cap wrench (the little dohicky that fits on the end of the filter and allows you to use a wrench to take it off), that will save you sometime.

My procedure for doing my oil change is to Centerstand the bike and drain the oil. after it is draining and the drips slow down enough, I push it to the sidestand to drain the rest.

I then put the bolt and washer (new washer if you prefer) back on and then attack the filter with the bike still on the sidestand.

First is to place the foil over the left exhaust, near the filter. Then use my 17mm ratchet wrench and unscrew the filter (VERY EASY to do with the K&N 204 filter! pull it out Watching where the oil drips ...

Clean up the filter mount, a little oil or grease on the o-ring on the filter (K&N come pre-lubed) place the new filter on and tighten down to spec...usually use the 17mm to push it 3/4 turn.

Remove the foil, centerstand the bike again, and put in one gallon and 5 ounces of Chevron 400le (I think that's the stuff...it's in my garage....)

Clean it all up, put it all back together and I'm done within 30 to 45 minutes.
    Bob - STOC 5901
    2010 ST1300 - 24,000 miles and going strong
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - Commuting Duty (30,000 miles) & #2 Rebuilding/Restoring
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

(Threadstarter)

Bike
    ST1300
    My Gallery

I completed the oil change today. It went fine, with no issues. The whole thing took about twenty minutes, most of which was used up waiting for the oil to drain into the pan. The other time consuming part was refilling the oil; I need a funnel that bends. The regular funnel I have requires oil to be added slowly, due to the angle of the fill part.

Had a bit of trouble getting the clips to clip in on the cover, but I'm sure that will come with practice.

I was surprised that the oil smelled pretty badly when I drained it. I have heard of this before, but have not experienced it. I'm unsure if it's indicative of oil in need of changing, or just how it is...

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    I never understood why some have problems. Yes, the filter is in kind of a tight spot but it's not too bad. I put it on the center stand; drain oil; remove filter with a small strap wrench from the left side of the bike; install new filter hand tight; fill with oil. Shoot center stand with brake cleaner to get off the few drops of oil that will get on it. Done, 8 minute oil change (or less).
    +1 I maintain the all the family vehicles (4 cars + 1 pickup truck & 1 motorcycle) and the ST1300 oil change is straight forward -- have had no problems in 45,000 miles. I use Purolater Pure 1 filters and bought a good quality metal end cap style filter wrench. EZ enough -- takes me longer to put away my tools and pour the used oil into the container than to do the actual oil change. The only vehicle I have that is easier to change oil than the ST, is my wife's Chrysler van with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. It has a cartridge type oil filter on top of the engine, so just remove the cover, replace the cartridge, and replace the cover -- no mess no fuss and takes about 1 minute. Drain & replace the oil -- good to go for another 8000 miles.
    Regards,
    Terry
    Last edited by DixieFlyer; 09-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    USMC 1966-1968 "Semper Fi"
    God promised men that good & obedient wives would be found in all corners of the World. Then He made the Earth round and laughed and laughed and laughed.

+ New Posts