ethanol vs non

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
So I was thinkin what was better, 91 octane with ethanol or 87 without?

My ancedotal experience the 1300 likes the non ethanol despite the 87. MPG is prolly 10% better. I don't use the 87 often, maybe every 10 fill ups or so, cos the manual says use 91. I'm thinkin it might flush out all that swir,l but I dunno if it does or not, or even if its a big deal.

So what does the collective think on the original question?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
In almost all cases you will get 2-5% worse fuel mileage with ethanol blends as ethanol does not have the same BTU's as equivalent gasoline. The ethanol can cause a whole bunch of other maintenance related problems over the long haul and I would be happy to find non-ethanol fuel but here in Calif. it is not available that I know of.

Dan

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Simple...

87 ethanol blend=knocks pings and 0 front wheel lift in any gear
93 ethanol blend=smooth,quiet running and torque wheelies in 1rst gear.
90 no blend= torque wheelies in first second and sometimes 3rd gear.

I'd run a tank of 87 and see if she knocks....If she doesn't check your fuel mileage....

(I run the 90 no ethanol for grin factor. It doesn't hurt that the no grain mix doesn't separate or absorb nearly as much water in my mind and the few extra pennies a gallon don't bother me.)

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Simple...

87 ethanol blend=knocks pings and 0 front wheel lift in any gear
93 ethanol blend=smooth,quiet running and torque wheelies in 1rst gear.
90 no blend= torque wheelies in first second and sometimes 3rd gear.

I'd run a tank of 87 and see if she knocks....If she doesn't check your fuel mileage....

(I run the 90 no ethanol for grin factor. It doesn't hurt that the no grain mix doesn't separate or absorb nearly as much water in my mind and the few extra pennies a gallon don't bother me.)
Yeah, but the only non I can find around here is the 87, but I'll say this, the 13 is more responsive running the 87 non, vs. any kind of ethanol swirl. I was just curious what the long term prognosis would be if I gave her a steady diet of the good stuff.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Fortunate enough to have 91 / non right up the street, so I fill up there. Otherwise, I choose highest octane blend available.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've never heard mine ping and it's life has been 87-89 octane. Real gas if I know that's what it is, usually no idea.

137,000 miles and it's not blown up yet. 55 mpg calculated running 65 mph last weekend on a no wind flat road day trip.

Run what ever tickles your fancy and doesn't knock in your bike.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Mine audibly pings on 87 doesn't on 89.
Corn free is not an option in NJ.
I've not seen many, if ANY, no ethanol stations around my area of CT. My bike (ST13) pings on the low test. Especially if you get into the throttle. I THINK I get better mileage on high test so the cost is about a wash. Probably. I really don't keep track of it all that close. I did get lousy mileage when mice were camped out in the intake! YMMV. lol

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, was happy to see Fastac arrive around here with no eth Dave. But, 40 cents more per gallon plus I still have to usually ride out of the way to get there? At least there is more of an option now, instead of the very few we had previously..

Oh, I vote for 87 without.

Around these parts, Fastrac has 91 ethanol free. Runs a little better, but I don't know about 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies~
http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Last edited:
Bike
04 st1300A
Here in BC we get 94 octain with no ethanol. The 04 Loves it. it is pricey though. $1.33 ltr for 87reg but $1.50 ltr for the 94 premium.

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Ethanol does not contribute to the power your engine makes. It does, however, increase effective octane...
...which is exactly why it's there. Lead is long gone (which I'm okay with) as is MTBE. Ethanol is what's left until someone comes up with something better, but I question whether there's any engineering or environmental reason that makes 10% necessary.

--Mark

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Around these parts, Fastrac has 91 ethanol free. Runs a little better, but I don't know about 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies~
http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
So cool, a site to show me where to get ethanol free!
Wow, look at all the blue dots for gas stations, this is gonna be great!
(zooms in)

Never mind, nearest one is 132 mile round trip. Perhaps some of us folks in the St. Louis area could do a RFG/RTE?

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
EGR makes up for the loss of led. The exhaust gas in the fuel/air mixture increases the effective octane, just as the led did.
EGR was put in place long before lead went away to cut back on NOx emissions. The combustion process is cooler when there's exhaust gas in the chamber because it's inert filler that displaces oxygen that would otherwise be used in burning the fuel. What I'm not sure about is whether that has any effect on the fuel's resistance to starting the process in the first place. I'd be leaning toward not since they'd have used a higher percentage of exhaust gas to cut back on the lead requirements if it did.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
Thats interesting over here in the UK we do not get 87 at all and very few ethanol stations, but my Honda book for the 1300 says 95 ron or above which means I can not go in to most super market stations because they sell 92 ron and if I use that it pinks like mad but it is ok on the 1100, is there a difference with the fuel ratings between the USA and the UK ? just thought I would ask :)
Keith

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
... is there a difference with the fuel ratings between the USA and the UK ? just thought I would ask :)
Yes, there is. North America uses a figure called the pump octane number (PON), which is the average of the research octane number (RON, which the rest of the world uses) and the motor octane number (MON). The differences are explained here: CLICKY

The real-world difference is that the PON trails the RON by three to four points.

--Mark

Top Bottom