Racetech Fork Caps really all that?

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I want to install the Racetech valving kit, but found mixed reviews with the fork caps. I'm trying to justify the expense versus the amolunt of use. My experience with the rear Penske shock, once it was set up, I've not touched it since the rebuild. I'm wondering if these caps will fall into the same catagory? Do those of you who have it really make adjustments? Those who don't, why didnt you get the caps?

Also, I have the Sonic 1.2 springs already installed, has others used these with the RT valve kit?

Thanks,
Denny

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Admittedly WAS (supposition) but making adjustments would fall into two categories: adjusting for various changing conditions, or dialing in the suspension to one point for all around set and forget riding.

You're apparently happy with how you've set up the rear shock. Can you do that without the valve kit for the forks? Currently they're not adjustable.

You've changed the springs. Do you feel the need for improvement? It could be that you add the kit and when dialed in, there's little to no improvement over what you have. Or you find the front suspension greatly improved and have no need to touch it again.

In the first scenario $550 didn't get you much. In the second it did. But is that worth the money? Now you have adjustability you may never use again as opposed to not having it to get you where you want to be.

The ST's factory suspension needs work. Getting unbiased accurate info is tough. I wish I was a good enough rider to know what's what. It's under-sprung for most of us. Better springs are on my wish list. And if there were simple air caps like I had for one of my bikes I'd give those a shot too. But for me I think I'd pass on the valve kit. And I like to spend a little money.

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Unless I'm misunderstanding your response, the valve kit is not in question. I know the RT valve kit will provide the performance I desire. Its the adjustabable valve caps that are in question. I've never had this feature so I'm asking those who have them, do they really utilize the flexability of make the adjustments.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ok apparently you can get the valve kit with or without valve caps, a difference of $150. I was referring to the adjustable caps so convoluted points still stand.

The initial purpose of the adjustable caps is to dial in or fine tune the suspension at the "next level" right?

Non-adjustable stock caps are replaced with machined billet fork caps. Race Tech's caps add easy to access external compression, rebound, and preload adjustment to quickly fine tune your ST1300's handling.

...according to riding conditions. Again adjustability has two levels: to get the suspension right in the first place, and to compensate for different riding conditions. I'm guessing that most of the time that doesn't change enough more most riders to change the settings once dialed in.

Can you get the bike where you want without the caps? Will you notice small differences in adjustments? You're happy with the rear settings and haven't changed them. The same could be true *for you* with the front suspension once you get it close enough.

I'd probably spend the extra money (since it's only $150 difference) just to get it where I want it, though seriously just good springs alone would be a big step in the right direction.

How are your Sonics working for you?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have the caps on my bike and it makes setting the preload just right much easier than taking everything apart to add spacers. If you ride one up all of the time, then yes, once you get the preload set, there would be no reason to change it. I on the other hands ride 2 up some of the time. It helps to be able to add some preload to the front also, as we have the handy knob for the back preload. I also dial in a little more compression and rebound damping when 2 up. When we go down south to ride with Uncle Phil in the mountains this makes a big difference in how the bike handles.

If you do track days I could also see where being able to dial in a little more preload would be nice. If you don't do either of these two, then I wouldn't spend the extra money on the adjustable caps.

I will tell you that I run the compression and rebound damping at what would be the standard setting most of the time. Also, I'm not sure how much you weight, but I found the 1.2kg/mm springs to be too firm once I changed to the RT valves. I weight 175. After much trial and error I found it was best to follow the recommendations on RT's spring rate chart.

Just my $.02 worth of advice.

Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
I didn't get the caps because they weren't available at the time. It would have saved me several trial and error preload attempts. $150 ? I would have gone for it but that's me. Having owned a bike with fully adjustable forks, it's best to find a sweet combo of damping, spring rate and preload and stick to it. Every adjustment affects every other adjustment to some degree. The errors get out of hand in a hurry when you start messing.

Bill

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Thanks for the insight on the caps. I mostly ride one up and pack very light for trips. However, there are those times for a long weekend ride with one of the kids or a camping trip that I do have a need to tweak the suspension. With that in mind, the $150 bucks would be money well spent. I have 53k miles so I figured I'd add in the $100 to replace the seals, bushings n such. This is a typical project where I’m just getting started and my budget is already shot to pieces.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have caps on front and full adj Penske on rear. If you like to ride twisties aggressively and highway or hit rough roads the caps are GREAT for fine tuning each situation. You will find the settings you need and keep them in your brain. You can then adjust compression and rebound on the fly. Just remember to keep one eye on the road. Preload is just an added benefit though when I sit on my bike (I am 170lbs) the front doesn't go down any further and added weight from luggage or a passenger goes mostly on the rear.

Top Bottom