Armor Phoenix 4 - Replacement Armor

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Anyone know a place to get "fresh" replacement of armor for a Phoenix 4 jacket & pants? Mine's toast and I'd rather not have to buy another jacket because of the armor being bad.

I bought the Phoenix 4.0 on sale probably around 2005 or 6 (?) when the 5.0's were coming out. I'll bet I haven't worn it more than 20 times though I've used it several times here lately. Today I went to put it on for a trip to the gas station and noticed that the elbow armor was not in it's proper place. I then discovered that the armor was in pieces! I opened the armor pocket and bits and pieces of extremely deteriorated rubber (some just crumbs) came tumbling out. I checked the other elbow and the shoulder pad and got the same thing. I assume that this probably means the back armor is worthless too. I haven't checked the pants yet but I have no reason to think it will be in any better shape. Sure glad I discovered the condition of the armor before a road test! Makes me wonder what the "official" shelf life of this nice Chinese armor is.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

Thanks Jason. Before posting I googled the subject and actually came upon some of the links above but I was initially looking for model specific, slip-in armor and no one seems to carry such a product. Since initially posting this however, I've come to think this may not be a bad thing!

The more I think about Joe Rocket armor, the more leery I am of replacing it with the junk that came with the jacket. I just can't believe how deteriorated it became just sitting in a clothes closet. I literally hadn't used this jacket more than 20 or 25 times the whole time I've had it. Even though the jacket has sat in a closet for most of 7+- years, I can't imagine why armor would spontaneously disintegrate like mine did by just sitting in an indoor closet. Makes me wonder about it's quality and ability to protect even when it was new!

I've thought about just getting a new jacket (and still may) but besides not wanting to spend the money, I might be better off just getting what I know to be higher quality armor and fitting it to the jacket I have. We'll see.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Mick did you see the pieces from the Knox site?

I didn't go through all of the site's "OEM" offerings; but, though the above might help.

Oh and I didn't look at cost at all; so, I don't know if it makes sense to use these guys!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thats a good thing to check for Mick, we really dont think about it.

I have replaced armor in my Cycle Gear jacket before with Alipine Stars (back pad) it fit and was a much better pad than what came with it
I pulled the shoulder and elbow to replace them, but they were sufficient

STOC #
The more I think about Joe Rocket armor, the more leery I am of replacing it with the junk that came with the jacket. I just can't believe how deteriorated it became just sitting in a clothes closet. I literally hadn't used this jacket more than 20 or 25 times the whole time I've had it. Even though the jacket has sat in a closet for most of 7+- years, I can't imagine why armor would spontaneously disintegrate like mine did by just sitting in an indoor closet. Makes me wonder about it's quality and ability to protect even when it was new!
That is troubling, for sure. I've heard and read really good things about the D3O stuff, and was considering upgrading the armor in my Firstgear summer and Rocket winter jackets to it. Your post has me thinking about it again.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
OK, just to polish off this thread, below is what I wound up ordering for my Phoenix 4.0. I decided to just stay with Joe Rocket as much as possible so as to be sure of a good fit. This was especially true of the back protector because most of the aftermarket stuff was too small for a good fit. Thanks for everyone's replies:

Elbow Armor:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-ce-knee-armor

Back Armor (I feel much better with this CE rated armor than I did about the double density foam pad that came with the jacket):
http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-ce-back-protector

Shoulder Armor:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1996/i/joe-rocket-c-e--standard-shoulder-armor

Last edited:
Top Bottom