Article [13] ST1300 - Speed Sensor replacement

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I am writing this article in response to my original post where I initially lost my speedometer on the way to work.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?132567-Speedometer-quit-working

I am also including links to other posts that may prove useful to the next member this may happen to.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?126214-Speed-Sensor-Removal&p=1597276&viewfull=1#post1597276

I have included these to give credit where it is due, and to try and clear up any muddled or ambiguous data from the ST1300 Service Manual.

So let's begin.

Removal/Installation

As you can see on page 22-13 and 22-14 with the exception of removing the middle cowl, this should be a walk in the park 5 minute job.

Well with the exception of the last step of doing everything in reverse order, they have glossed over a very significant amount of the work required to do this job.

First I will start with the middle cowl or tupperware removed and the right side of the bike exposed. Note the air canister and crash bar assembly location, your "3 pin connector" is strategically tucked well behind here. The sensor is mounted on the bottom of the back crank case cover, close to where the centerstand mounts.

First remove the canister, I just let it hang from the bottom hoses out of the way.

Then remove the little box with the two vacuum lines attached to it.

Off with the stainless steel heat shield.

Next remove the black crash/tipover bar.

Last thing to remove is the triangle aluminum bracket. Also pull the rubber apron between the engine and the frame of the bike up and out of the way, and there it is, the famous 3 pin connector (black) flat pack.

at this point you need to put the bike on the side stand, if you haven't already. This is the only way I could get to the bolts holding the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the bike.

Here is a shot of the old sensors plug assembly.

From here on out, the pictures on page 22-14 are correct for removing the assembly, however... PUT AN OIL PAN UNDER THE SENSOR BEFORE REMOVING. There will be about an 8oz loss of oil when the sensor is removed.

Some people recommend using a piece of string tied to the old connector, then pulled down between the frame when the old part is removed then tie the line to the new part connector and pull it back through to the top.

I recommend that you replace the O-ring along with the new VSS. Here is a link to the part numbers you will need, a big thanks to Mellow for helping me find the part.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f1b8f870021c54be6705/rear-crankcase-cover

You should order #9 and #16. Also Cheap Cycle Parts has changed their website around, so Mellow's original link in one of my links will no longer work, so use this one above.

I do hope this article will help anyone here trying to do this job, I tried to make it as visual as I could to explain the process, since this is the way I learn best. Thanks for reading.

Jeff

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: ST1300 - Vehicle Speed Sensor replacement

Thanks Jeff, moved to the Article section.

Putt-Putt

Dave Putnam
Bike
'08 ST1300
STOC #

Great timing for this write up. My '08 ST1300 with 40k just lost the speed sensor this week.
Thanks.

Mine just went out too. I was able to use the pics in this guide to put everything back together once I ripped it apart in a fit of rage. Lol...

One thing to note: When testing the speed sensor with the ignition on and a multi-meter on the green and pink wires you'll want to spin the rear wheel in neutral. A good sensor will read random voltage from 0 to about 4.9 volts. In my case, a bad sensor just read 4.75 and never changed. Hope that helps someone. The manual just states "Repeat 0 to 5 volts."

Bike
ST1300A

I recently replaced my sensor too. I removed the crash bar to get access to the plug end. I then tied a string around it before pulling it down, I then tied the string to the new plug and pulled it up to the proper place. The hardest part of the job for me was getting the bolts loose from the bad sensor. I had to borrow a mini wrench and was barely able to get the over tightened factory bolts out...

Great write-up, wish I had seen it before I replaced mine....
One note: I was able to avoid any oil leakage by lifting the rear of the bike up with a chainfall. Also made it easier to reach things.

Bike
2008 ST1300

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Honda-ST1300-ST-1300-Rear-Drive-ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-/400629353028?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d475eca44

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ST1300-1300A-PAN-EUROPEAN-03-12-FRONT-WHEEL-SPEED-SENSOR-GOOD-G207-/321292513270?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4ace86aff6

Hi folks,

Can someone please confirm which item I require to restore speedo function. I think the rear one but cannot find any ref to a front speed sensor and just want to be sure. Many thanks.

Bike
2008 ST1300

Any advice appreciated. thanks

OP
OP
jduff8505

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

Howard, they are both the same part from the looks of them. I would recommend using new parts in this case, if at all possible. If not, then I would try the L40.00 first. For the price of the other one, I would think we'd be able to get you one from stateside for less than L129.00.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #

Just to add a bit of detail to Jeff's excellent "how-to" post above, below is a close-up picture of the speedsensor connector, showing the colours of the various wires going into both sides of the connector.

This is not my picture, it has been excerpted from forum member P.D. Fruth's excellent illustrated instructions that explain how to install a home-made gear position indicator, which can be found at post #4 of the discussion of that subject. The photo of the speedsensor (reproduced below) is on page 25 of the set of PDF instructions contained in post #4, in the 3rd of the 4 PDFs there.

Michael

ST 1300 Speedsensor Connector

Bike
2006 ST1300
The VSS on my 2006 ST1300 failed last week, with just over 18K on the odometer. I replaced the sensor, and all is now well again. Thanks for the writeup, and for the photos. The shop manual is good, but having the photos that describe how to actually get to the mating connector was really helpful.

Joel

The link to the page on Cheap Cycle Parts seems to have changed again. For my 2003 ST1300 (just shy of 100K) I found the parts using this bread crumb.

Cheap Cycle Parts Web Site> 2003 Honda ST1300 AC OEM Parts> Rear Crankcase Cover >

Ref #9: SENSOR ASSY., SPEED PN# 37700-MCS-003 Cost: $77.06
Ref #16: O-RING (18.1X3.6) PN#91302-MAL-601 Cost: $2.31

The speed sensor assembly ($77.06) was quite a bit more than what I expected, but what am I going to do except order it save a bunch of money in labor by replacing it myself. :)

I've yet to order it and do the work, but the forum pretty clearly identified that this is my problem. My speedometer works for 100-200 feet, then goes to zero for about 3-4 miles. Then it starts bouncing for 30-40 seconds and then works fine for the rest of my 20 mile trip to work. It does the same thing consistently now with any trip I make. The Tach works fine. The odometer reads out, but doesn't register any change in mileage until after the speedometer needle starts working again.

Thanks!
Rex

This pics and instructions are priceless - especially when it comes to re-assembly.

Question: I got as far as getting ready to take out my old speed sensor and just could not get out the 2 10mm bolts. I could not find a way to fit a 10mm socket with a 1/4 inch extension on the bolt(s). Nor could I loosen the bolts with an open end 10mm wrench. Any recommendations for what tool(s) I could try using? My next thought is to by a closed in 10mm wrench or a specialized ratchet and 10mm socket with a minimal height because of the narrow gap between the sensor bolts and the center stand on the bike.

I had to put the bike back together without the new sensor because I needed to commute again. So I still don't have a speedometer. The next time I take it apart I want to be able to finish the job with the right tools.

Thanks in advance.

Bike
2006 ST1300

I remember that getting a tool on those VSS bolts was a pain. If I recall correctly (and that is truly an IF), I used a thin, ratcheting, crescent wrench to get to those bolts. I don't think I was able to fit any of my standard sized sockets either. But the ratcheting crescent wrench could be blindly slipped over the bolt and moved just a little to loosen it, and then the remainder loosened by hand.

Joel

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Great article. My speedo is still working but is out by 10% at highway speed. I have the stock size tires so do you think it is a speed sensor issue or can these be calibrated at a stealership? Btw it reads faster so it can save a ticket...

Just replaced the VSS after a mouse chewed through all 3 wires.
Thanks for the great write-up & pictures, made the job much easier.

Used string to raise the connector as suggested.
Used a 3/8 flex socket for one bolt and short wrench for the other - came right off.

Dave

Top Bottom