Article [13] ST1300 - Speed Sensor replacement

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My speedometer sensor just failed on the drive home from work today. Typed in spedometer in the search engine and it brought me here.
Now if the pictures would come up in the first post, that would be great. No pictures in the first post may be when the forum went from one web provider to another one a few years ago.
102,000 miles on the bike, so I'm happy the sensor lasted that long.

I am writing this article in response to my original post where I initially lost my speedometer on the way to work.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?132567-Speedometer-quit-working

I am also including links to other posts that may prove useful to the next member this may happen to.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?126214-Speed-Sensor-Removal&p=1597276&viewfull=1#post1597276

I have included these to give credit where it is due, and to try and clear up any muddled or ambiguous data from the ST1300 Service Manual.

So let's begin.

Removal/Installation

As you can see on page 22-13 and 22-14 with the exception of removing the middle cowl, this should be a walk in the park 5 minute job.

Well with the exception of the last step of doing everything in reverse order, they have glossed over a very significant amount of the work required to do this job.

First I will start with the middle cowl or tupperware removed and the right side of the bike exposed. Note the air canister and crash bar assembly location, your "3 pin connector" is strategically tucked well behind here. The sensor is mounted on the bottom of the back crank case cover, close to where the centerstand mounts.

First remove the canister, I just let it hang from the bottom hoses out of the way.

Then remove the little box with the two vacuum lines attached to it.

Off with the stainless steel heat shield.

Next remove the black crash/tipover bar.

Last thing to remove is the triangle aluminum bracket. Also pull the rubber apron between the engine and the frame of the bike up and out of the way, and there it is, the famous 3 pin connector (black) flat pack.

at this point you need to put the bike on the side stand, if you haven't already. This is the only way I could get to the bolts holding the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the bike.

Here is a shot of the old sensors plug assembly.

From here on out, the pictures on page 22-14 are correct for removing the assembly, however... PUT AN OIL PAN UNDER THE SENSOR BEFORE REMOVING. There will be about an 8oz loss of oil when the sensor is removed.

Some people recommend using a piece of string tied to the old connector, then pulled down between the frame when the old part is removed then tie the line to the new part connector and pull it back through to the top.

I recommend that you replace the O-ring along with the new VSS. Here is a link to the part numbers you will need, a big thanks to Mellow for helping me find the part.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f1b8f870021c54be6705/rear-crankcase-cover

You should order #9 and #16. Also Cheap Cycle Parts has changed their website around, so Mellow's original link in one of my links will no longer work, so use this one above.

I do hope this article will help anyone here trying to do this job, I tried to make it as visual as I could to explain the process, since this is the way I learn best. Thanks for reading.

Jeff
Very useful. Thank you

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Just replaced my VSS sensor today. Bike is a 2012 with 76k on it. Only took a little over an hour to fix (mainly to get off Tupperware) The string was great advise to make it super easy. I was able to get the top bolt out with a 1/2 socket and the bottom came off with a standard 10mm open-end wrench. I was in need of an oil change so I didn't worry about the oil loss while removing the VSS.

I first noticed my speedo dip down to 0 a few times in September. based on the forum I knew it was the VSS. The bike was under warranty until March of this year so I was hoping it would fail before then but of course, it waited until June. Oh, well, $100 fixed it so I should be good for another 80k.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that posted about this issue, made it easy to diagnose and replace.

Top Bottom