MASSIVE GSX-R Recall!!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
EVERY GSX-R built between 2005 and 2013 is being recalled.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued a massive recall for Suzuki's GSX-R sportbikes. The potential number of units affected is 210,228, including 2004-2013 model year Suzuki GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 as well as 2005-2013 GSX-R1000?s. According to the notice, ?in combination with older brake fluid, corrosion of the brake piston inside of the front brake master cylinder generates gas that may result in a reduction of fluid pressure transmission to the front brake.?

G'head and read the rest, it's actually a pretty interesting story of engineering forensics... btw, from the article it sounds like Suzuki is taking the lead on this and initiating the recall, not being forced into it by NHTSA.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Good for SMC! The key was that they found the same corrosion (and hydrogen generation) of the puck in new, factory bled bikes and couldn't dismiss it as "bad brake bleeding".

v8-7

Site Supporter
From the article :

"Suzuki distributors will replace the front brake master cylinder on affected models with a unit that has a redesigned reservoir port on top of the master cylinder and updated surface treatment on the brake piston. “Several associated parts will also be replaced,” according to the letter.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
From the article :

"Suzuki distributors will replace the front brake master cylinder on affected models with a unit that has a redesigned reservoir port on top of the master cylinder and updated surface treatment on the brake piston. “Several associated parts will also be replaced,” according to the letter.
Given the # of units involved in the recall, that's going set Suzuki back a few $$.

JZH

International Bodger
Suzuki probably does not manufacture the master cylinders on those bikes. Nissin? My worry would be that this problem could actually have a much wider prevalence...

Ciao,

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good for Suzuki. As I've mentioned when people criticize Toyota for frame problems- I'm more impressed that Toyota is replacing frames on 10+ year old trucks than I am with GM and others who have 6-8 year old frames rusting out and won't do anything about it.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I wonder if this is the same problem with the pistons in the secondary master cylinders on the ST1300's? Suzuki seemed to have determined it comes from a poorly threated piston surface and I'm guessing they might be the same style/manufacter.

JZH

International Bodger
I wonder if this is the same problem with the pistons in the secondary master cylinders on the ST1300's? Suzuki seemed to have determined it comes from a poorly threated piston surface and I'm guessing they might be the same style/manufacter.
My thoughts exactly. I doubt even Honda would commission NISSIN (or Tokico?) to manufacture a common part like a master cylinder piston with a specific, proprietary specification of piston surface treatment. Consequently, if the manufacturer of the recalled Suzook master cylinder is the same as the Honda manufacturer, the same potential of failure would tend to exist...

Ciao,

Top Bottom