ST1300 Heat fix

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I have a 2005 ST1300A with 40k miles on it. I was getting an extreme amount of heat on my calves and feet. I have removed the inner fairings, changed the oil to many different brands, Reflex wrapped the underside of the fuel tank and under the seat, had the starter valves synchronized, valves checked, radiator removed and cleaned, waterpump replaced all to no avail. What I did find that at least reduces the amount of heat are the Baker air wings. While I really do not like the way they look they sure bring a lot of fresh air in on my legs. And when it is cold they provide a nice envelope of warmth. The next thing I will add is the Clearview windshield with adjustable vent. It should provide a ton air to my torso. Hope this helps anyone else who is suffering from the heat issue and thanks again to Igofar for all of his advice and work. Chris..........

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
It's the weirdest thing. I have been reading about heat issues since the beginning, 50K miles on my 2004 and the only time I felt heat was paddling on the freeway when it was 100 outside. Guess I have dead legs or something.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Never noticed a heat problem either. Maybe I should try shorts and flipflops

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Either wrap your exhaust headers or have a ceramic coating applied. It sounds like you haven't tried to isolate the exhaust, it was very effective for the heat on my 05.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
When I was shopping for the ST I rode a new '07 that I could not keep both feet on the ground at a stoplight. The heat was tremendous. The dealer also had a '08 on the floor so I took it for a ride......warm yes, but nothing unusual. I ride with three guys that have '07 models with normal heat. So whats the difference? I don't know the answer but to you guys that think the ones who complain about heat on their bikes are in the wrong apparel or just whiners, I can assure you there are ST's out there that will cook the inside of your legs. Wished I had an answer for them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Had two ST's and can verify the heat issue is there.. or not there depending on your bike.

My '04 only gave me an issue twice with a very hot breeze blowing across the top of my shin when on the highway. But a slight adjustment of my leg and the hot air was deflected by the tops of my boots and I was fine.

The '05 that I am riding now is a different story..... that fereaking tank get's dang hot! Not as bad as what I hear from many other folks, but it's definitely a difference from my '04.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I wonder if some aftermarket trunks and windshields alter the airflow enough to create a suction of the engine heat into your lap or feet.....I know my Xl CalSci shield sure changes the back pressure at speed.....and the Givi trunk kinda causes a roll like the beer cans you see in the back of a pickup truck.....just wondering............then again, bring it to Minnesota at this time of the year.....heat ain't gonna be an issue.....:D........BTW, some people reported losing the heat when they got rid of the stock cat mufflers....good luck........

Bike
2003 ST1300
My bikes throws all the heat down low - ankles and lower calves can get roasted just by wearing my slightly shorter/thinner boots. No issues from under the tank, the seat, etc. Yup, I lost most of the heat issue when I was running TwoBrothers pipes. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the flat dull droning that they put out over 3k rpm, so I went back to stock pipes and yup, the heat came back.

Lose the pipes, lose the heat.

bk

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I put 20K+ on my 2003 before selling it recently, mostly due to the heat. I tried several things but couldn't fix it.
I never experienced heat on my legs/ankles. Instead, the radiator heat seemed to have nowhere to go but under the tank. On highway rides the gas tank and the frame became almost equal to engine temperature. It was very uncomfortable on my seat and thighs and I just couldn't sustain the long highway miles I craved.
I miss it. I would buy another ST (in a heartbeat!) if I lived in a cooler climate.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't want to jinx myself. There is no doubt that several riders are greatly affected by heat from their STs, but I haven't felt a problem at all. Traveling through the desert on a hot day, or stuck in traffic with a high ambient temperature might be a problem for me, but so far, nothing. The fan may run for awhile, still no heat to complain about.

Now to do some incantations to ward of the evil that I called upon myself.

OP
OP
Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I recently changed my exhaust to the Delkevics, thus eliminating the cats. I rode it for three months, did not notice any difference. Since switched back to stock exhaust. Baker air wings gave me the greatest relief from the heat…….

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I have the Fairing Deflector set and the mirror set and I am totally satisfied with the temp. It keeps all the heat away from me as well as deflects the rain

Honda part number 08P73-MCS-100a and 08P72 for the mirror set.

Bike
2010 ST1300
No heat problem on my 2010 ST. Drove it through Toronto's parking lot near the airport this summer. Stop and go on what is called an expressway. Hot air, hot asphalt, but felt almost nothing from the bike. Now the fairing pockets (aka glove boxes) do slowly cook whatever I put in them. But no excess heat from the bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have never ridden a motorcycle that didn't put off a significant amount of heat. Air cooled Harley's and my air cooled triumph and honda cb900 put out more heat. Heat seams to really be subjective. I know I'm sitting on top of a motor so I don't expect otherwise. The 04 ST I ride only bothers me in shorts and flip flops. I don't recommend riding in shorts and flip flops.

Bike
2006 ST1300
So I fixed my Heat problems by syncing the throttle bodies. I had onE that was way out of spec and it was causing onr cylinder to run very hot. After teh sync, heat problem solved.

K

Top Bottom