ST1300 Heat fix

Bike
07 ST1300
Also installed Baker Air Wings despite the poor look but they are quality made and work really well.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
With all the posts on this subject, I've yet to read a real explanation of the variance. And enough people have had both a 'hot' bike and a 'warm' bike to convince me it isn't subjective.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
With all the posts on this subject, I've yet to read a real explanation of the variance. And enough people have had both a 'hot' bike and a 'warm' bike to convince me it isn't subjective.
I've wondered about that too. I don't have a "hot" bike, but enough others have mentioned it that I also believe that it isn't subjective.
Maybe it's related to a particular rider's position on the bike. I've noticed that if I spread my legs to allow fresh air past my lower legs that when I bring them back in, there seems to be more hot air than usual. After a few moments, I don't notice it anymore. That's why I'm thinking that maybe physique (height, weight, proportions, etc.) may have something to do with it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
To add to the above, I think that people just have a wide range of physical tolerance to heat or cold. What may be unbearable for one is not worth comment to another. My ST is hot but it's never bothered me to the point of not riding. I live in a warm subtropical humid climate and perhaps I have a higher tolerance for heat because of it. Perhaps the outdoor jobs I had early in my working career helped me acclimate to heat compared to indoor types of jobs.

Clothing has much to do with it as well. Jeans and sneakers don't bode well.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
And enough people have had both a 'hot' bike and a 'warm' bike to convince me it isn't subjective.
Nope, definitely not subjective. I have had both a hot and cool ST. Maybe it's a fine tolerance on the rubber mat under the gas tank that helps direct the air from the radiator fans away?

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I live in Canada, bring on the heat.:sun1:
I find that wearing my riding pants and riding boots combat the heat on my inner legs in the summer.
The heat only bites in stop and go traffic.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I've had lots of bikes and the heat on my 2003 ST was not subjective. I live in AZ and I know hot! :D
The gas tank on my bike became so hot that I could not touch it with bare hands. My legs and thighs couldn't take it. This even happened at night, on the highway, so the sun wasn't a factor. On several occasions the gas in the tank was actually boiling when I went to fill it. Not kidding, look it up, it can happen. Insulating my tank and modifying the airflow helped a little but not enough.
I still loved the bike, just couldn't stand to be on it more than 45 minutes at a time on the highway or I'd cook.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
It's a well know fact the ST1300 has excellent wind protection, which is great in cooler weather. I live in Louisiana where the sun will cook you in August--common sense tells me don't ride in heat that will cook you. It is chilly here now and I am loving the bit of heat and excellent wind protection.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Having a tank that is too hot to touch isn't normal, but boiling gasoline happens at surprisingly low temps. I would be uncomfortable with a tank that hot as well.
I bought my '07 with wrapped pipes and Two Brothers mufflers, it is actually cooler than some other bikes I've had.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I would like to know as well, Ive been combating the heat problem with marginal results. A recent long trip I have taken has convinced me that I either need to find a solution or this bike is gone. The Heat on mine is absolutely ridiculous. Its not even rideable on a moderately warm day.
On mine it was the exhaust. I have to wear heavy boots and riding pants in any marginally warm weather or I'll just about singe the hairs off my legs (ok, that's what it feels like anyhow). I get zero heat up high around the tank or seat tho. I changed to twoBrothers slipons and no more heat around my feet, shins and calves. but the flat drone from the pipes was more annoying than the heat so I switched back.. :(

Bike
2006 ST1300
It is amazing how some are hot and others aren't.

I have a lower than stock windshield and I keep it on the lowest setting. High windshields keep the heat in your lap with the vacuum created.

My inner fairings are removed since 2008, keep a good TB sync. on it, and no problems with heat.

Last edited:
I did the don heat fix and went from a very hot bike to stone cold however i did it a little different.
I lifter the rubber mat and placed a piece across the width taped to both sides i then put the mat back and did the same again i then went from front to back with the padding and at the back i wedged numerous layers across the width and taped a piece to the underside of the tank.
lifted the seat and cut a slit for the seat bracket and put a piece over the seat mount area all the way to the back tucking the sides down the fairings
finally i put a layer on the underside of the seat. As i said th etank went from nasty hot to stone cold.
dont scrimp on the padding if there is space put more in.

Recently i mounted lower deflectors but have yet to install the covers and the bike again gets warm im not sure if the small gap is deflecting heat onto my laegs and bike or if the deflectors are stopping cold air reaching my legs i will have to put the covers on and find out or maybe duct tape the gap to test it i noticed if i point my toes down i get cold air running up my legs maybe they could make lower scoops under the pegs to direct cold air up

Also i just noticed that the first post said it had been padded on the underside of the tank and under the seat this is not the way to do it you have to go the whole hog as don said and go around the air box otherwise the heat enters the area under the tank and heats the frame. the idea is to prevent the heat entering that area. if you would like it super cold i would suggest trying a thick spacer under the front bolt so the tank is lifted slightly creating a gap this would allow the minimal heat build up to escape

Last edited:
as well as the above fix change the exhaust and wrap the pipes. i had stainless headers and they would glow red when i started the bike. one final thing would be remove the lower fairings which would allow air to blast the exhaust and suck air from the side fairings if it works great cut the tabs off the fairings to make it look stock if not do the pipes then do the heat fix above and you bike should be stone cold

Top Bottom