Preload won't hold setting

Bike
2012 ST1300A
2012 1300A, 18k miles, system has been flushed/bled by guru Igofar.

So my rear preload won't hold a setting. I dial in a full crank or whatever and it "stays" for a day or three- then I can tell by its handling and find its has backed itself back out all the way. Any ideas? I can take it in under warranty of course, but not sure what they can do for me...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
2012 1300A, 18k miles, system has been flushed/bled by guru Igofar.

So my rear preload won't hold a setting. I dial in a full crank or whatever and it "stays" for a day or three- then I can tell by its handling and find its has backed itself back out all the way. Any ideas? I can take it in under warranty of course, but not sure what they can do for me...
If your preload adjuster moves back that fast I'd be willing to bet that you should be able to see evidence of the point where the fluid is leaking from (i.e. likely one end of the hose.) Your options are to either replace the washer and tighten up that bolt or take it into the dealer and have them replace the whole shock assembly. The dealer won't mess around with refilling the preload reservoir. Seems like a waste (which it is) but others have had the rear shock replaced under warranty because of this...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Sounds like it's not leaking fluid (if you can again dial up the preload)... it sounds to me like the ball/spring/detent isn't correct, so the knob is free and it allows the preload to slowly unload.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If the dealer will replace the entire shock assembly under warranty, I would let them... if not, then I would do what scooter said, then refill the reservoir and clean the ball and spring detent.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If your preload adjuster moves back that fast I'd be willing to bet that you should be able to see evidence of the point where the fluid is leaking from (i.e. likely one end of the hose.) Your options are to either replace the washer and tighten up that bolt or take it into the dealer and have them replace the whole shock assembly. The dealer won't mess around with refilling the preload reservoir. Seems like a waste (which it is) but others have had the rear shock replaced under warranty because of this...
Sounds like it's not leaking fluid (if you can again dial up the preload)... it sounds to me like the ball/spring/detent isn't correct, so the knob is free and it allows the preload to slowly unload.
+1 X 2

OP
OP
NorCalBusa
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Update- dealer took a blush and said he'd order a new shock/preload whole-shabang- all under warranty. He said he's seen it before on P models, never on a civilian A- but not at a frequency he thinks indicates a flaw (3 out about 200 police bikes).

OP
OP
NorCalBusa
Bike
2012 ST1300A
I acted surprised when he said Honda wouldn't cover a performance shock instead, even if it cost roughly the same and I made up any difference ($800 for OEM).

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sorry for jumping in here late...I just saw this thread, I've seen only one other preload adjuster that kept loosing pressure, and it was also on a police bike!
I really don't think the knob/spring/detent ball are allowing it to turn, but it sounds like some parts may have been machined with incorrect sizes in the bore of the preload unit.
The one I saw was fixed by replacing the preload unit with a salvaged one off a civilian bike.
Sorry you were having problems. You think you could talk the shop out of keeping the old one, so we could tear it down and investigate?
Igofar

OP
OP
NorCalBusa
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Long gone I'm afraid- it was fixed weeks ago. They replaced the entire shock/adjuster/hose assembly all under warranty.

Squirrel hunter- Parts under warranty do not have to be returned (by "law" as stated)- the manufacturer service rep wants them available to verify the warranty work was done and/or inspect them. Makes sense, as customer doesn't pay for those second parts. Customer-paid parts/service are returned if requested when you sign the Work Order (although some shops simply offer all parts back).

Sorry for jumping in here late...I just saw this thread, I've seen only one other preload adjuster that kept loosing pressure, and it was also on a police bike!
I really don't think the knob/spring/detent ball are allowing it to turn, but it sounds like some parts may have been machined with incorrect sizes in the bore of the preload unit.
The one I saw was fixed by replacing the preload unit with a salvaged one off a civilian bike.
Sorry you were having problems. You think you could talk the shop out of keeping the old one, so we could tear it down and investigate?
Igofar

Top Bottom