2014 Super Tenere - Gets some upgrades ZE Edition

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/super-tenere-gets-tweaked/23919.html

More specs at the EU site:
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200ze-super-tenere.aspx?view=features

Looks like ABS can be turned off easily and electronic suspension so the FJR got some of the Super Tenere stuff previously and now the Super Tenere gets some of the FRJ electronics... nice..

Hope it will make it to the US. I would say it's a year or two behind but that's good as it gives Europe time to test the time. :D

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
It's nice to see the upgrades to an already fine bike.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hard to tell, Yamaha is pretty sporadic when it comes to announcements on the Super T..

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The upgrades are a good thing. It's a nice machine I wouldn't mind having, but pushing 600 lbs. is a bit much to me even though it's a 1200cc. I'd like to see a similar machine 800-900cc and 100 lbs. less, but that's a very competitive market too. Kudos to Yamaha though for upping the ante.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The upgrades are a good thing. It's a nice machine I wouldn't mind having, but pushing 600 lbs. is a bit much to me even though it's a 1200cc. I'd like to see a similar machine 800-900cc and 100 lbs. less, but that's a very competitive market too. Kudos to Yamaha though for upping the ante.
I wouldn't believe it if you told me but my Super Tenere was easier to ride off road than my current VStrom 650... The suspension is softer and just more forgiving I guess.. I'm not an experienced dirt rider so my observations are merely novice and probably not worth much.. lol

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
I seem to have my bi-annual bike fever again, and looking real hard at buying the Super Tenere the first part of the year. The only thing holding me back is to see what the price of the ZE is going to be. Not sure if the ZE upgrade is really necessary, but the on the fly adjustments are really nice. Got use to it on my RT (40K+ trouble free miles so far).

People are also talking that a 750 size Tenere will be coming in 2015. That would be nice size and hopefully weight for my wife.

Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I seem to have my bi-annual bike fever again, and looking real hard at buying the Super Tenere the first part of the year. The only thing holding me back is to see what the price of the ZE is going to be. Not sure if the ZE upgrade is really necessary, but the on the fly adjustments are really nice. Got use to it on my RT (40K+ trouble free miles so far).

People are also talking that a 750 size Tenere will be coming in 2015. That would be nice size and hopefully weight for my wife.

Mark
Based on UK prices I saw it looks like the ZE will be in the neighborhood of $1,100 (USD Equivalent) more than the current model.. to me that's a lot and I think the current model is pretty nice as-is. The ZE adds cruise control which a lot of folks view as a must-have. The suspension adjustments would be nice but I never know what mine should be anyway so that's useless to me :rofl1:

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Based on UK prices I saw it looks like the ZE will be in the neighborhood of $1,100 (USD Equivalent) more than the current model.. to me that's a lot and I think the current model is pretty nice as-is. The ZE adds cruise control which a lot of folks view as a must-have. The suspension adjustments would be nice but I never know what mine should be anyway so that's useless to me :rofl1:
Not..what...I...need...to...hear.....

Mark

I made the mistake of taking a Ktm 1190 Adv. for a demo ride Friday.. Big mistake! That bike is in a word "Awsom"!!!!!!! This makes the decision much harder now..

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
I made the mistake of taking a Ktm 1190 Adv. for a demo ride Friday.. Big mistake! That bike is in a word "Awsom"!!!!!!! This makes the decision much harder now..
Boy, gotta agree with that. Just parts cost, and some reliability issue's from my research into which (GS,S10,KTM,MG..etc) I wanted to get. But in the dirt, can't beat the KTM for what it is.

For my off road riding skills, they all surpass my abilities, so I just want one that will get me home. Boring is okay, I usually find a way to make it exciting without any additional help.

Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think if the ZE version made it to the states, it would be on the top of my list for next possible bikes, the new FJR being 2nd in line. I really liked my Super Tenere and wished I could have worked out a deal to keep it but the timing was just not good.. in the meantime I'll troll around on the vSTrom and wait and see what happens.

Bike
GL1800
I think if the ZE version made it to the states, it would be on the top of my list for next possible bikes, the new FJR being 2nd in line. I really liked my Super Tenere and wished I could have worked out a deal to keep it but the timing was just not good.. in the meantime I'll troll around on the vSTrom and wait and see what happens.
So what tips the scales for you on the ZE version, compared to the "old" Tenere??

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So what tips the scales for you on the ZE version, compared to the "old" Tenere??
The electronic suspension adjustments sound very nice. Cruise control is not something I need on a bike but sure would be nice to have. The display looks to be a bit nicer. Still haven't seen enough real-world info on the bike so not sure if I wouldn't just go with the base version anyway.. It just depends on the actual cost difference if it made it to the states. If the difference is in the 1k range then I think that is justified given the upgrades.

Bike
GL1800
The electronic suspension adjustments sound very nice. Cruise control is not something I need on a bike but sure would be nice to have. The display looks to be a bit nicer. Still haven't seen enough real-world info on the bike so not sure if I wouldn't just go with the base version anyway.. It just depends on the actual cost difference if it made it to the states. If the difference is in the 1k range then I think that is justified given the upgrades.
I saw that the 2014 version has an adjustable windscreen too. Did you fool with the screen much on Tenere or did the stock screen do it for you?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had the stock shield but put a spoiler on it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I suppose I should disclose the bad as well as the good as far as my opinion of the Super Tenere goes.

I did have spokes that would loosen over time. Some riders had this happen more than others and some didn't seem to have it happen at all. It was annoying but just something I had to pay attention to when I was doing my periodic pre-ride type inspection. Some actually had then come loose and break off.

I believe the headlight compartment is too small and doesn't vent well enough which allows heat to build up and aids in the melted bulb connectors. Replace with plain old spade connectors and everything is fine.

I suppose my biggest issue w/SuperTen was gas mileage/tank size. I would typically hit reserve from 160-180 depending on how hard I was running. That's a 6 gallon tank. On the DL650 I typically hit reserve around 180+ with a 5.3 gallon tank. I'm sure I don't run the VStrom as hard as the SuperTen at hwy speeds so probably not a fair comparison. I just would have liked maybe a 6.6 gallon tank on the SuperTen. just enough to break 200 even running hard..

I also didn't like the fuel gauge because it wasn't very even. The first large section was okay but the next 3 are too big and more levels would make it easier for you to understand your fuel level.. sure wish more bikes would just go back to analog for those, or just have like 10 even gradients.

Top Bottom