Michelin Pilot Road 4

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm still using PR2s...Tried the 3s and didn't really care for them.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Now in their 4th generation, I'm surprised they are still using a round profile for the rear! :crackup

I still miss the original PR's, they were very consistent and predictable when pushed hard, and in challenging surface conditions. I've have experienced some unpredictable and inconsistent loss of traction with both II's and III's in a variety of conditions that has been a bit unsettling. Most of these experiences, not all, have been in the last half of the life cycle, and transitioning from the softer outside compound to the harder inside compound, with good surface conditions. I never experienced this with 021's, or Storm II's.

I think I'm going back to a single compound Pirelli Angel ST, those and Diablo Stradas have given me great all conditions traction and are Rolex predictable edge to edge throughout their wear cycle. I tend to roach the inner half of the soft compound well before the middle of DC tires, so I don't believe I'll lose significant life range going back to single compound. If I do decide to run DC again, I'll try the Angel GT.

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Goody, goody, goody . . . they'll be making the sizes for my FJR. I'm in to give them a try at my first tire change after they're available! I wonder how they'll be different. Hopefully as good or better mileage and handling and at least as good in the rain. I can hardly wait.

I really liked all my sets of PR2s and PR3s. PR3s was the dominant tire of choice on the IBR this year for those who wanted to ride the distance without a tire change as well as having the confidence to ride safely in the rain.

Shuey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a new pair of PR3's hanging that will be installed shortly. This will be my third set of PR3's. Love these tires. The 4's will be next.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Wonder if the front will ge even longer now that they reduced the number of sipes?

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Going to put new rubber on the STroller soon. Maybe consider these? I would lack the experience with the older models though, although there is the PR2 on the front that looks to be wearing fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro. Check it out!

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
What?? just got used to the pr3's . Is the new one really much better or addressing some problem that has not surfaced on the pr3's?

Last edited:

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Wonder if the front will ge even longer now that they reduced the number of sipes?
Think I'll just go with the PR3's for now. Bikebandit has a set for just over $300. Mark, you'll finally be getting your air pressure monitor back!! (And your SK Flowmeter. Have to get one of those myself!)

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I just checked and I have 9800 miles on my PR3's and the rear is just about at the wear bars. The front looks like it could easily go another 2K miles.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
They've been yapping about the 4's for months, maybe a year- but no one has them for sale yet that I've found...

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Sure do- even a little (right amount/right place) makes for more smoothness. The wheel is off anyway, so its uber simple to balance them and takes about a minute. This last time the PR2's took waaaaaay more weight than I like to see, so I had them take it off and grab another tire.

Do you guys always balance the wheels when you fit new tyres?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Might have alot to do with the BMW contract for their 1200 something or other coming with them......and hey, marketing says if 3 is good 4 has got to be better right? Wonder how much of a price increase these will be......KoolAid here....get your KoolAid..........:)

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I haven't been happy with the mileage on anything I've used.....can't get 5,000 miles out of PR2, PR3, 023s.023GTs, hate spending that kind of money 2 or 3 times a year.....I HAVE been accused of riding the pizz out of
the ST1300....but I ride it just like I do my VFR......:D.......on the other hand all have been good handling tires (until worn) with the 023s having quicker turn in profile and more stable cornering.....PR2s and PR3 rears seem to shift a little on hard cornering....pressures always at 42/42....might have to try Pirelli Angels next.....never satisfied.....I think that's why people go Darkside.....try 'em all, see what YOU like best....there's probably not a BAD tire made today.........ff

Top Bottom