Michelin Pilot Road 4

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I think whats going to happen is that they will drop the PR2 and make the 3 a budget tire like they did the 2's when the 3's came out. The increase may be as much as 15 to 20% more for the new PR4. I'm sure they are building inventory now on them so that everyone gets their fair share of them when they release them.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think whats going to happen is that they will drop the PR2 and make the 3 a budget tire like they did the 2's when the 3's came out. The increase may be as much as 15 to 20% more for the new PR4. I'm sure they are building inventory now on them so that everyone gets their fair share of them when they release them.
Sounds like it's time to stock up on a few sets of PR2s...;)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the 3 front and 2 rear combo on my 1300. It cures the vague turn in and the 3 front is almost without noise. I'm at 12k on the set now with estimate another 2k left in the rear. I am going to order another PR3/2 set.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I like the 3 front and 2 rear combo on my 1300. It cures the vague turn in and the 3 front is almost without noise. I'm at 12k on the set now with estimate another 2k left in the rear. I am going to order another PR3/2 set.
Good combo. It saves a little cash also.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I won't be buying any more PR2 at any price, I've had two sets and the rear side walls shredded on both long before the centre's wore out. Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem with the 2s, I'm on my first PR3 rear and hope the rubber doesn't fall apart so quickly.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I won't be buying any more PR2 at any price, I've had two sets and the rear side walls shredded on both long before the centre's wore out. Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem with the 2s, I'm on my first PR3 rear and hope the rubber doesn't fall apart so quickly.
I had cords showing on the left side of my rear PR2 on my ST1300, I do not use these tires anymore.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Yes. I've worn the sides out before the center on every DC tire I've tried (021, PR2, PR3, Storm), on the ST13 and several lighter bikes. I find I am inclined to change, in most cases, before I've worn the tire fully to the indicator bars as the profile becomes significantly uneven in the first inch of the transition to the softer compound. This, in addition to the scalloping, negatively affects the contact patch and I begin to experience unpredictable traction characteristics while lifting the bike up through corner exits (transitioning from soft to hard compound) under significant throttle. The lack of decent performance oriented single compound tires available for the ST13 was one of the reasons I sold it. I'm going back to single compound Pirelli Angel ST's when this set of PR3's is done.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I got 9500 miles out of the PR2 (front) and 8600 miles out of the PR2 rear tire before switching to the PR3. I loved the handling of the PR3 but with the same bike and similar roads found the PR3 starting to show wear on both sides of the tire (front and back)and losing some of its road handling (noticeable wobble in the turns) after 7000 miles. The dealer recommended I switch to the Pirelli Angel GT and predicted I would get at least 9000 miles out of them. Only 1500 miles on the Pirelli tires to-date, but so far they are handling well and showing very little wear. I've always been a fan of Michelin tires, but my experience with the PR3 is that the improved handling, especially on wet roads, resulted in having to replace the tires quicker than I expected. I have no strong opinions formed on the Pirelli tires yet, but no complaints either.
It would be interesting to hear if other riders are changing the PR3 in the 7000 to 8000 mile range and if that is considered optimum mileage by Michelin?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
It would be interesting to hear if other riders are changing the PR3 in the 7000 to 8000 mile range and if that is considered optimum mileage by Michelin?
PR3 was totaly worn at 7000 miles and cupping badly----I am a happy Darksider now and intend to stay there

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I got 9500 miles out of the PR2 (front) and 8600 miles out of the PR2 rear tire before switching to the PR3. I loved the handling of the PR3 but with the same bike and similar roads found the PR3 starting to show wear on both sides of the tire (front and back)and losing some of its road handling (noticeable wobble in the turns) after 7000 miles. The dealer recommended I switch to the Pirelli Angel GT and predicted I would get at least 9000 miles out of them. Only 1500 miles on the Pirelli tires to-date, but so far they are handling well and showing very little wear. I've always been a fan of Michelin tires, but my experience with the PR3 is that the improved handling, especially on wet roads, resulted in having to replace the tires quicker than I expected. I have no strong opinions formed on the Pirelli tires yet, but no complaints either.
I rode a couple of rear PR3s past 9000 miles before punctures required replacement. I never actually wore out a PR3 yet due to foreign object damage. This last combo of a PR3 front and 2 rear is working extremely well for me. 12,200 miles and 2/32" left to go out back. Rear tire is wearing well albeit a bit noisy when leaned over. I felt the 3s would give 10 to 15% more mileage than the 2's but as I said I can't speak from actually wearing out a 3.

I used to get an average of 6000 out of a rear in Metzelers, Avons, and Bridgestones ......... the Michelins give me at least 50% more plus I don't cane the bike as much from standing starts. I still go quick but don't have to get there in 5.5 seconds. :)

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I am on my 4th set of PR2's. The first set lasted to about 9,200 miles but I did a poor job on tire pressure. The second set had road damage at 8700 miles. The third set went to over 11,000 miles. The last set is at 10,000 miles. My tires usually wear out on the sides first and the left side rear is what wears out. I've never gotten to the point of showing tread, but I've worn out the tread bars on the left side.

Looking forward to trying the PR3's or maybe the PR4's next spring.

I do wonder how someone wears out a set of PR2's in under 7000 miles. Must be riding very aggressively all the time?

JohnConner
:rd13:
:usflag1:

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I do wonder how someone wears out a set of PR2's in under 7000 miles. Must be riding very aggressively all the time?
As many have said here before, sometimes a bad batch of tires get turned out that last 1/2 or less than that of other batches. I find that to be the case with all brands---some worse about it than others.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I met a tire dealer at the LB M/C show yesterday, he had a set of the PR4 on display.
He was telling me, for the ST, the tire will be the PR 4 GT, designed for the sport-touring bike weight class. Our size is listed in his little book and will be available in the next 2 weeks, if not sooner.
His price, installed, on the bike is about $400. He knows the ST, he services the ST for the police bikes here in the Torrance area. When calls me to let me know when the tires arrive, I'll hit him up for a ST-Owners discount.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That price is installed. I think he said something like $320 per set.
That sounds about right. As I said earlier in this thread I was going with another combo of a PR3 front and a PR2 rear but several online sites were on of stock on one or the other but my dealer's supplier listed them in stock and I placed an order for the set. However the 3 front turned out to be back ordered in the USA with availability not until mid to late December. I needed tires and went back to BS 023s. I guess I'll have to let others be the first to try the 4s.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm going to try another PR3 on the rear. I've always been able to get around 10K miles out of the PR2 and PR3 on the rear and could have got more but had upcoming trips and didn't want to run the risk of having to get a tire on the road or runnng in wet weather on a tire that is on its last legs. My last PR3 is coming off with just about 7K on it :(, repaired a recent puncture, but it is practically shot and not worth taking a chance riding in wet weather. I'm hoping I just got a tire from a bad batch and this next PR3 will live up to my expectations.

OP
OP
Bike
2k9 ST1300
I've pass trough my first set of PR3 in less than 8 000 miles for the rear. I did the Blue Ridge and rode the Dragon 3 time on a single trip but was 2 up all the time and it was aggressive ridding . The 2 set after that I was able to get around 10 000 - 10 500 miles for the rear. I alway check the pressure to make sure that it is 42 or 43 if the wife is with me.

Left side always worn off to the cord before the centre…

PR4 are beginning to appear on the market if I believed an article on the concours forum

Top Bottom