ST1300 Valve adjustment - wknd project

Bike
'04 ST1300
I have a long weekend and needed to do some work on the ST. I have a 2004 w/ 38,120 miles. I purchased it w/ about 19,000. The previous owner, he was the 2nd owner, told me that the 16,000 valve service had been done by the original owner at 14,000. I' checked the valves and all except two exhaust are within spec. I'll list them below. What input would you have for those that are on the low side but still within specs? Would you change them or let them be?

Also, are there any gotchas that you would caution me about or look out for?

Here are my current valve clearencs:

Exhaust .010 / .009
Intake .006 / .006

Exhaust .008 / .008
Intake .006 / .006

Exhaust .009 / .009
Intake .006 / .005

Exhaust .009 / .010
Intake .005 / .006

Thanks for your input. Have a great Veteran's Day

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
tight exhaust should be adjusted, those are the most prone to having problems if they're too tight and not closing fully at the proper time.

If you're numbering your cylinders like this, which I assume you are:

2 1
4 3

then you could leave the left side alone until next time (I would), the .005 intakes are still in spec and intakes aren't as critical as exhaust.

As far as gotchas, is this the first time you've done this on any bike, or are you experienced and just asking about specifics to the ST1300?

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
Yes, the cylinders are numbered left bank and right bank.

This is the first time I've done the valves on a bike. I don't mind suggestions both general and specific to the ST.

I was leaning toward leaving the intake alone. I wasn't sure it would be better to change them now while the bike is apart or wait another 20,000 and check them again.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I checked the valves and all except two exhaust are within spec. ... What input would you have for those that are on the low side but still within specs?
Definitely pull the left camshafts and re-shim the exhaust side of #3, because that one's clearly out of spec. I'd leave the other valves on that side alone. They're in spec, and in spec means the engine should be just fine at those clearances. If they're moving, you'll learn that in another 16K at the next check.

--Mark

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Definitely pull the left camshafts and re-shim the exhaust side of #3, because that one's clearly out of spec. I'd leave the other valves on that side alone. They're in spec, and in spec means the engine should be just fine at those clearances. If they're moving, you'll learn that in another 16K at the next check.

--Mark
wouldn't #3 be the right camshafts?

left/right reference is while sitting on the bike, and #1 cylinder is usually (but not always) front/right. I'm assuming the cylinder numbering on the 1300 is the same as the 1100, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
This is the first time I've done the valves on a bike. I don't mind suggestions both general and specific to the ST.
Mark the cam gear and timing chain with a sharpie before taking the cam out, then you can use that for an additional reference when re-assembling.

I don't have a 1300 so I can't give specific instructions, but the general rule is to put the camshaft opposite the cam chain tensioner back in first, and get all the slack out of that side of the cam chain. But when you do that make sure you don't rotate the crankshaft in the process (putting the bike in gear and locking the back wheel with a bungee cord on the rear brake helps with that). Then put the other cam back in and engage the cam chain on that sprocket so there's no slack between the cams. Then re-install the cam chain tensioner and take a look at your timing marks. With any luck they will be correct, but sometimes you get it off by one tooth, so you have to remove and do it over again.

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
clutch (left) side on the 1300.

Clutch lever side, when I first read this I was thinking you meant the clutch it self, which is in the front of the engine. I was confused at first. Not hard to confuse me though. They are numbered left to right front to back.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Not sure what you're trying to say, do you think I have it backwards?
No, was just having a bout of silly. The 1100's crankshaft rotates in the opposite direction from the 1300, which may have something to do with the cylinder numbering being different between the two bikes.

--Mark

Bike
2004 ST1300
Clutch lever side, when I first read this I was thinking you meant the clutch it self, which is in the front of the engine. I was confused at first. Not hard to confuse me though. They are numbered left to right front to back.
I agree with your first sentence.

Top Bottom