Stainless steel brake lines.

I`m just in the process of overhaul the front calipers and renewed the seals and pistons.Before I complete the job what is the opinion of fitting replacement stainless steel brake lines -do they justify the extra expense ?:confused:

Bike
2020 BMW S1000XR
STOC #
I did it and was very pleased with the overall improvement in brake performance and look. I also did the clutch line at the same time.

Take a look at my album to see pictures of my installation.

BytownBandit.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I`m just in the process of overhaul the front calipers and renewed the seals and pistons.Before I complete the job what is the opinion of fitting replacement stainless steel brake lines -do they justify the extra expense ?:confused:
I've put them on every bike I've owned since the mid '80s, and they are definitely worth the time/money, but just for the fronts. The improvement in braking feel and power is noticeable, and I'm fairly sure that whatever lining they have (teflon?) doesn't bleed into the brake fluid like the black rubber hose does, so your fluid will stay cleaner looking as well.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Add me to the SS front brakes only club. On my XS though. Haven't yet felt the need on the ST but I'm sure I would like em on that as well.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
What is Honda's recommendation for replacing the brake hoses? I have mine down right now to replace the seals and do a good cleaning but was just curious about the lifespan of the original hoses.
21 years seems like I have gotten my money's worth from the originals.

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
What is Honda's recommendation for replacing the brake hoses? I have mine down right now to replace the seals and do a good cleaning but was just curious about the lifespan of the original hoses.
21 years seems like I have gotten my money's worth from the originals.
I've not heard of a brake line failing unless it was damaged, but it probably has happened. The performance gain by changing to BSS was the reason that I changed. And IIRC the BSS lines are cheaper than replacing with the original OEM ones.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I did this on my older bikes (not Honda). What brand SS braid hoses did the guys who did this use? Any pitfalls? As I recall, bleeding the brakes on my Guzzi was very difficult the first time. A few stubborn bubbles made bleeding a long drawn out process (used a MightyVac).

If I replace only the front brake lines, do I have to bleed the entire system or can I simply bleed down to the front calipers and secondary master cylnder?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What is Honda's recommendation for replacing the brake hoses?
Most MFG suggest a replacement after 4~5 years... at the driving school they'd given us a number of 5 years...
I had the lines on my '92 on for almost a decade, but kept a close eye at them, watching for cracks in the rubber and other signs...

The first that gave in was the line of the clutch actuation, apparently starting to draw humidity from the ambient air into the brake-fluid, causing the clutch to act up.
Upon this I'd replaced all brake and clutch hoses with OEM parts, plus overhaul of master and receiving cylinders to ensure getting all crap and goo out there.

I actually can't really follow the hype over braided lines, their length and fitments are far from perfect, so one might end up with quite some trouble to route them accordingly, their also way too thin to fit the rubber blocks in the clamps, so further issues there to get them on properly so the won't cause trouble or rub on fairing parts and other structures... whilst OEM lines provide a simple drop-in installation, having all the protective sleeving attached where required, angle and direction of them banjos comes as needed, they will fit the fixing brackets, etc...

I'm rather focussing on a quality brake-fluid and a proper bleeding job during the annual replacement... YMMV though...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed stainless steel brake lines on my '84 V65 Sabre, and I could feel the difference right away! Of course, by the time I had replaced them, the bike was 20 years old.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I actually can't really follow the hype over braided lines, their length and fitments are far from perfect, so one might end up with quite some trouble to route them accordingly, their also way too thin to fit the rubber blocks in the clamps, so further issues there to get them on properly so the won't cause trouble or rub on fairing parts and other structures... whilst OEM lines provide a simple drop-in installation, having all the protective sleeving attached where required, angle and direction of them banjos comes as needed, they will fit the fixing brackets, etc...

I'm rather focussing on a quality brake-fluid and a proper bleeding job during the annual replacement... YMMV though...
All good points and I fully agree. There is nothing wrong with OEM lines that SS is going to make better.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I had 2 '01 ST1100s at the same time. I could not get one of the bike's front brakes to feel as 'tight' as the other. I kept bleeding them over and over.
I finally went to BSS and still love the feel of the front brakes.

I bought the rear BSS line; but, didn't think it was worth it when I really started looking at installing it; so, I didn't (sold it) and I haven't ever felt I needed the BSS on the back.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Mark, I went with braided lines on the front only, of the XS1100. Made a huge difference up front and really didn't want that feel on the back. I have a set for the ST but I'm still happy enough with my 23 year old lines on the ST.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I did front, rear and clutch SS lines in a Galfer group buy on ST-Riders a number of years ago. I agree with Martin's remarks about fitment issues. I'm glad I replaced my aging non-ABS ST1100's lines, and I did notice a slight improvement but not enough to matter. I could easily apply controlled maximum braking right up to locking up either brake with the OEM lines. The Galfer lines work very well.

Would I do it again? Yes, but I'd measure the lengths and banjo bends/angles carefully and do a proper custom order with one of the quality aftermarket manufacturers. FWIW

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
All good points and I fully agree. There is nothing wrong with OEM lines that SS is going to make better.
Given that the ST is an overweight pig to begin with, and probably many riders ride it non-agressively anyway, I'm going to qualify my comments a bit with that caveat. On any other bike with a greater level of performance than the ST this statement is totally incorrect. SS lines, due to their lack of flex, greatly improve the braking feel through the lever, and also increase the available power with less lever travel. Rubber brake lines expand under the fluid pressure and do not come anywhere close to the feel of SS lines. I've replaced them on every bike I've owned since the mid-80s and have noticed a definite improvement in braking feel on every one of those bikes, including the ST. This is the first time I've encountered this indifference to SS lines in the m/c community, usually anyone who's installed them is very glad they did.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ok, but I question WHEN those lines were changed. Right after the bike came off the showroom floor, or several years later? I'd imagine several years later in most cases and, yes, you may notice a firmer feel, as the older OEM lines may have developed some give to them, as compared to new OEM lines.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The '01 was less than a year old when I replaced the lines with BSS.
The braking was immediately noticeably improved in both brake handle movement and stopping power.
I have never looked back and recommend BSS to anyone with an ST1100.

I agree with John O. as well... Find someone that will custom make a set for you with proper sized grommeting.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hi Mark,

OK, I give. I can't argue with your experience after changing relatively new OEM lines, but I would say that stopping power ends at the point of front wheel lock up and my OEM front lines managed to get me near to that point once, just a few years ago, during the only such panic stop I have had in almost 20 years of riding my non ABS 1100 (car pulled out of a parking lot without looking). I didn't actually lock the front wheel, but the tell tale tire howl of imminent lockup allowed me to ease off the front ever so slightly and still come to a controlled stop less than a foot from the car's left front fender.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Bush,

I'm not arguing 'stopping power'... it was brake handle feel that bothered me, it was softer than the other bike and it wouldn't bleed to 'hard'.

I agree, after you get to locking up the front, it's pretty much over...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Bush,

I'm not arguing 'stopping power'... it was brake handle feel that bothered me, it was softer than the other bike and it wouldn't bleed to 'hard'.

I agree, after you get to locking up the front, it's pretty much over...
Yes, same here, I also switched mine in the first few months of ownership. I was comparing brand new OEM vs. SS, and the difference is more in the feel, not the outright power. Its easy to see, if you grab the front brake with the bike stopped and look at the OEM rubber hoses, you can actually see them expand under the fluid pressure. That expansion is converting potential braking force into wasted force, the non-flexing SS lines are more linear, and ultimately more powerful, but I will agree that the rubber ones are still powerful enough to lock the wheel.

Top Bottom