Stainless steel brake lines.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dunno... attended an MSL today... 5 STs and some other bikes... instructor thought that a little competition would not harm... in stopping distance (as well as in the slalom) my ST1100Y made 4th... a, from its concept >25 year old bike, with nearly twice the weight, no ABS, bias-ply tires and OEM brake lines... only beaten by brand new bikes with ABS, like a 900 Hornet, an Aprilia and a K1300R with an admittingly excellent working, latest gen ABS...

So don't bash them OEM-lines, that stuff works better then its reputation ;-)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
And I'm sure the rider's skill had nothing to do with how the ST1100 placed! Right! ;)
Can't tell, only sat on it, randomly pulling levers... ;-)
Also lost a few grams off the peg feelers... :(

There is one pro on braided lines though: narrow inner diameter, thus less liquid to push around... helps when flushing/bleeding the system.
This would be especially crucial for a CBS, but I rarely see full kits been offered for those.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
I did front, rear and clutch SS lines in a Galfer group buy on ST-Riders a number of years ago. I agree with Martin's remarks about fitment issues. I'm glad I replaced my aging non-ABS ST1100's lines, and I did notice a slight improvement but not enough to matter. I could easily apply controlled maximum braking right up to locking up either brake with the OEM lines. The Galfer lines work very well.

Would I do it again? Yes, but I'd measure the lengths and banjo bends/angles carefully and do a proper custom order with one of the quality aftermarket manufacturers. FWIW

John
John, I just read through 3 pages of info on the ss brake lines and you are the only one that indicated you did the rear lines as well as the front and clutch. My question to you is, did you pull the gas tank out to make replacing the rear line easier? A couple of the hold downs look like they might require removal of the tank to get them out. I am OK with doing that but without doing it I can't see how I can remove the rear line.

Thanks,

Larry

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Larry, Are you referring to the steel brake line that is fastened along the left swingarm? I'm pretty sure you would still use that line and only need to replace any rubber portions.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Yes that is what I am referring to. I will be replacing the OEM line with the ss braided one.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yes, Larry, I removed the fuel tank when I removed the OEM rear brake line and replaced it with a Galfer stainless steel braided one. Near impossible to do that without removing the tank.

John
via iPhone 6

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Enlighten me if necessary, but I fail to see the need to replace that steel pipe portion of the rear brake.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Yes, Larry, I removed the fuel tank when I removed the OEM rear brake line and replaced it with a Galfer stainless steel braided one. Near impossible to do that without removing the tank.

John
via iPhone 6
Thanks John. I appreciate the tip.

Enlighten me if necessary, but I fail to see the need to replace that steel pipe portion of the rear brake.
The new braided ss line replaces the entire rear brake line assembly. It is a 1 piece replacement line from the m/c to the caliper.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Tip: the OD of my SS line was less than OEM so I cut and split short lengths of rubber tubing to 'shim' the SS line in the OEM routing clamps. FWIW

John
via iPhone 6

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
;1732568]But sometimes i think it is what we percieve![/quote]

I think that happens more often than we think. I for one notice a big improvement in speed and handling not to mention braking with each oil change.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Tip: the OD of my SS line was less than OEM so I cut and split short lengths of rubber tubing to 'shim' the SS line in the OEM routing clamps. FWIW

John
via iPhone 6
I wondered about that very thing, thanks for confirming. I will do the same thing.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Unfortunately this won't help you in Finland, but for us in the US & Canada, Brake Material & Parts in Ft. Wayne can make custom s.s. brake lines for a reasonable cost. Just send them your old brake lines and they will copy them.

But you never can tell - maybe they can ship to Finland at a reasonable cost. But you would need to send them you OEM brake lines to copy. Unless someone on this Forum has an old set of ABS-1 brake lines that they can donate and send to BM&P for you.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
maybe they can ship to Finland at a reasonable cost.
Good luck with that. International shipping to just about everywhere outside the US is pricey. But it's never hurts to ask.

I like the look of SS brake lines but it's more of a farkle than a useful upgrade for me.

Bike
ST1100AN
Thanks, Jim Van. I installed one set of "stainless" brake hoses years ago and I'm very disappointed in their quality. Banjos are chromed mild steel, for example. I don't remember the make or the brand anymore. Other option BF Goodridge but they are making only front set and it costs about 210 pounds. So I'll ask them a quoute.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you found a good complete set of SS brake hoses for an ABS I?
Someone else here gave Spiegler a good recommendation. I emailed them and asked the same question. Bottom line, no - but they can and will make up custom lines if I send them measurements and specs or the old brake lines. Someone else here suggested buying an old set of brake lines on ebay and sending those to be duplicated in SS braid. Another suggestion was to go with SS braid for the front brakes since most of the stopping force comes from the front anyway.....

Just for giggles, here is the guy's contact info: Brian Hart
Spiegler Performance Parts
Director of Dealer Development
Sales
Phone:937-291-1735
Fax:937-291-2368

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Get a quote from Brake Materials and Parts in Ft. Wayne before you make a purchase from Spiegler. I'm sure the cost difference will be significant.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Top Bottom