Anybody purchase aftermarket saddlebags from Mutazu Motorcycles (ebay)?

Bike
'15 Kawasaki Versys
I lost the left saddlebag from my '03 ST1300. In searching for a replacement, I came across ebay seller Matazu Motorcycles. They have molded ABS direct replacement saddlebags. $400 each. Have any of you folks bought from them? I'm curious about the quality. I don't know whether to spend the $ or wait for someone parting out a bike.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
after hearing about my dad (suprasabre) buying a set of ABS molded from china that should of been a direct fit, and was far from it i would think twice of doing it, spend the money on a new one or used set and have it painted to work with your color.

I've never seen anything but universal hardbags from Matuza. I did buy a set of Matuza hard bags for my wife's Sportster but they were just some cheap teardrop cruiser bags. They look pretty good and work good for her but they are about the quality plastic I expected for the price.

2013-07-24_20-30-11_862.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
These?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-Honda-ST1300-ST-1300-Hard-saddlebags-saddle-bags-match-factory-colors-/251225979717?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a7e3c3b45

I agree w/Justin...

If you zoom into some of the pictures you can see how the plastic doesn't line up like the OEM stuff does. Just small details like that may seem like no big deal but hard to say what the fitment will be like once it's in the sun for a season.

They are apparently in San Leandro, CA. Wonder if they have a place where someone in CA can ride over and check out the fitment and quality in person...

If you look at the seller negative response for the past 6 months... not looking very good.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mutazu&iid=251225979717&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

OP
OP
Bike
'15 Kawasaki Versys
Yes, that's the one I saw on ebay. It's a lot of money to take a chance on an untested product. After reading the negative feedback, I'll probably wait and keep searching for an OEM saddlebag.

These?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-Honda-ST1300-ST-1300-Hard-saddlebags-saddle-bags-match-factory-colors-/251225979717?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a7e3c3b45

I agree w/Justin...

If you zoom into some of the pictures you can see how the plastic doesn't line up like the OEM stuff does. Just small details like that may seem like no big deal but hard to say what the fitment will be like once it's in the sun for a season.

They are apparently in San Leandro, CA. Wonder if they have a place where someone in CA can ride over and check out the fitment and quality in person...

If you look at the seller negative response for the past 6 months... not looking very good.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mutazu&iid=251225979717&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
OP
OP
Bike
'15 Kawasaki Versys
Chris- The ebay link you posted is the Mutazu Motorcycles aftermarket bags I was asking about. I'll just be patient and keep checking ebay for a used OEM bag. I contacted Bike Bandit and Ron Ayers Motorsports; Honda doesn't sell the complete saddlebag. Apparently I would have to buy each individual component of the saddlebag separately, then assemble it all to have a complete saddlebag. That ends up being $$$$$!

A member here had a scuffed up bag from a crash that I bought when I lost one of mine and I was able to find a nice color matched lid on ebay. It just tool some searching. What's nice about this board is the help ans support you will get during your search. Like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-Honda-ST1300-ST-1300-Hard-saddlebags-saddle-bags-match-factory-colors-/251225979717

Chris

NewsMag

R.I.P. - 2022/08/23
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Four years later and I have the exact same need. Left saddlebag is gone, forever. Lost in the tundra. Retracing 75 miles of ride in the Utah mountains turned up nothing. I am also intrigued by the Mutazo product. The bike is essentially a ratbike now, so I can ride bagless, one bag, or try one of these. Surprised nobody here tried one. Their reviews are mostly positive, and negative ones seem to revolve around shipping and communication. I searched through 4800 reviews and found 3 for the ST1300, one for the saddle bag and two for the ST13 headlight assembly. All 3 of those reviews were positive. Of course they have Red, White, Silver, and Black. And I need BLUE. Should I go for it? Maybe I can get a white one and write on it with a sharpie "Pretend this is blue." Current link HERE.

Opinions welcome...

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Steve-
What did you end up going with? I lost the left side saddlebag on my 2008 last week. I depend on those bags. Need to figure out what to do. I am not as concrened about color as mine were painted flat black.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Apologies for what might be a stupid question, but what fails on the bike that results in a lost saddlebag?
dunno if the ST1300 is similar/identical to the ST1100, but on the 1100 if you don't properly latch the retainer clip at the front mounting point I've heard the bag can work loose and fall off.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^ That makes sense, but I’m assuming the bag was latched properly and still fell off, no? I’ve always made it a practice to look at the key latches on both sides before I leave on a trip to make absolutely sure they’re in the locked position.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I must admit that I have always been concerned about loosing a bag - and so I very seldom ever remove mine unless I am washing the bike. Then, I take great pains to ensure that they are properly latched on. To make things more convenient, I have a set of those nice ST1300 bag liners which can be had online for less than $100. They fit perfectly, look good and keep all of your goods and chattels together for trudge into the hotel or tent.

Having said all of that, it sure would be interesting to have an opinion from someone who has actually tried those aftermarket knock-offs.

Pete

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
When I purchased my ST, it was missing a side bag. I purchased one of those Mutazu bags off the ebay site ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/251225979717?rmvSB=true) . It looks just like the OEM bag and the quality is at least the same. The seams line up and it closes up like it is supposed to do. I would have no problem ordering another one, although I hope I never have to....

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
When I purchased my ST, it was missing a side bag. I purchased one of those Mutazu bags off the ebay site ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/251225979717?rmvSB=true) . It looks just like the OEM bag and the quality is at least the same. The seams line up and it closes up like it is supposed to do. I would have no problem ordering another one, although I hope I never have to....
This is great info Ted - there is nothing like first hand information.

Thanks for the post!

Pete

Bike
2008 ST1300A
To follow up on Erdoc48's question, I had a user error due to a mechanical error. There are two bolts on the hinge point of the latch (on the bike). Unbeknownst to me, one of the bolts was gone. When I pushed the latch down, the hinge point (which shouldn't move up in the first place) did not go down far enough. I locked it up and rode away. The bag, when it was ready, left on it's own free will.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Apologies for what might be a stupid question, but what fails on the bike that results in a lost saddlebag?
In my case it was the rider on the bike that failed..... to close the latch after working under the seat. :rolleyes:

Bag was loyal for a good 250km at highway speeds up to 100mph (Autobahn) before it decided to leave me. Never noticed it was gone until a K1600glt overtook me and pointed out the issue. After making a 20km round trip to get back, I found all it's contents on the Autobahn. Many cars ran over it, at least 3 stopped, fortunately no serious damage. The bag-liner kept some of hte stuff togehter, but I keep everything organised in small bags inside the bagliner inside the pannier. It paid off this time ! After the police came to stop the traffic, I collected all my stuff. Except one split pole from my tent all my gear was fine and I could continue my 2-week trip around the Balkan. Only had to buy a soft-bag and some duct-tape to fix the tent pole.

My 2nd biggest mistake : I did not look for the pannier lock among the debris. After I bought a used pannier, I had to tweak the locks, and the result is not great...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When I first got the ST I had a lot of trouble putting the bags back on the bike. After finally taking a close look as to how they actually attached to the bike the process became much easier.

And the handles always get a tug or two to make sure all is properly fitted. A bag may never be lost but a handle may eventually need replacing. LOL

Top Bottom