ST1100 Fork Brace

Bike
1998 ST1100
Hi,

Has anyone installed a fork brace on their ST1100? I have a 1998, and it feel sometimes like the front end has a little shimmy in it. I don't think the tires would cause that, and I'll be putting new rubber on the bike soon. It just seems like the brace would stiffen the front end, and eliminate the shimmy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I put them on both the ST1100s we ride, really like what they do to the front end.

ABS doesn't need a fork brace (and I don't think anyone makes one for the ABS models so that's easy!).

Mark

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it feel sometimes like the front end has a little shimmy in it.
Ever did a fork rebuild, with replacing the bushings on that mount? Condition of wheel- and head-bearings?
The ST already has a 'brace', hidden underneath the fender; proper torque on its mounting bolts as well as on the axle clamp bolts is crucially, when it comes to proper wheel guidance.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
As mentioned earlier, freshen up the front end of your bike FIRST! Slapping on a fork brace to take out a wiggle is only putting on a band-aid, to a potential problem.

However... Heavier / aggressive riders will need a fork brace for the best feed-back and stiffening up the front. The cheesy factory (under fender) brace just doesn't cut it....

Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
+1 on the not required for ABS and is required for aggressive rider as there is flex in the fork tubes.

Bike
95 red ST
STOC #
I put a super brace on my 95 ST1100 and it tightened up the front end a noticeable amount. I like the difference. I also notice a little instability in corners as my front tires get closer to their lifespan.

Bike
92 ST1100
Have had a brace on for several yrs. now. I installed one for the reduced load/wear on slider bushings, and it also reduced somewhat the cupping of the front radial tire. In order to eliminate the shimmy(very common), replace the ball type steering head bearings with tapered roller bearings. Be a good time to service the forks since they'll be off the bike;).

Top Bottom