Seat won't unlatch ST1100

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Be careful what you wish for. Last month, I couldn't get the seat to latch. Thanks to this forum I discovered that the latch mechanism had come loose. I put it back together and tightened it down, and the seat latched perfectly. Now it won't unlatch. Sat on it, jiggled it, moved it left to right and it still won't unlatch.

Any ideas?

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Not sure if you've tried this....put some downward pressure on the back of the seat and then turn the key to release the latch. I am in the habit of putting some pressure on the back of the seat whenever I release the seat latch...it makes the key turn easier.

Hope this helps.

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Well...that's a bummer.....because it gets much more difficult if you can't get it to let loose like that. Does the key turn easily? What I am wondering is does it feel like the key is actuating the latch mechanism?

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Key turns very easily. It doesn't really feel like it is doing anything.

I wonder if something on the key end slipped out of place when the latch mechanism fell apart earlier.

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
One method I have used for bikes where the seat latch is sticking, despite the key turning, is to deliver a karate chop to the seat, in this case just behind where the step in the seat is and in a downward and slightly rearward manner.... whilst having the key held in the unlock position.... assuming the key is actually operating the latch, there is probably too much pressure on the latch for it to undo... the karate chop method gives a sharp downward release of the pressure for a moment and this sometimes does the trick....

Doesn't always work, but it might.....

If this doesn't work, you have to first establish if the cable is still attached to the latch.... if it is then you may need to get at it between the side panel and frame to pull it further than the key will turn it.... again possibly delivering a sharp blow above where the latch is while exerting a pull on the cable....
If it is detached, not sure what you can do, but trying to cut a hole in the rear mudguard under the release lever might be an option.... of course that means wheel off etc...

Hope you are successful.......

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
The latch is rather loosely holding the seat. There is a noticeable amount of "play". How do I get to the back of the key mechanism to verify the cable is attached?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I can't remember ever seeing this problem come up on various ST/Pan sites, but it has often crossed my mind what one would do if that latch failed. This will be interesting. Good luck and keep us informed.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Oh, it's come up before. There's even a ST-Riders.net AOW article (search on 'seat latch') about the fix[-] unfortunately the pictures died with Webshots[/-].

You may have to pull the rear wheel and cut a hole in the inner fender for access to release the latch from the saddle. It's been done before.

John

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Oh, it's come up before. There's even a ST-Riders.net AOW article (search on 'seat latch') about the fix, unfortunately the pictures died with Webshots.

You may have to pull the rear wheel and cut a hole in the inner fender for access to release the latch from the saddle. It's been done before.

John
John you are like a WIKI for the ST- Amazing amount of knowledge

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've had this problem. Easiest for me was to remove the left side cover (it can be done even with the seat in place.) You'll get enuff access to see behind the latch. I've managed to pull the cable directly with a pair of needle nose to get the latch to unlatch. I don't recall what caused the malfunction right now but I fixed it and haven't had the problems since.

I've also had the bolt which holds the latch fall out, a long time ago. The loose bolt landed on the rear fender and didn't get lost. :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John you are like a WIKI for the ST- Amazing amount of knowledge
Hey, I'm just a "spring-butt" that's owned an ST1100 since 1994 and been a STOC and ST-Riders.net member since 1998. Hard not to have picked up a few things over the years and I'm STill learning. :) Have also had a LOT of help from the community; anything I do these days is just "paying it forward."

This may be of some help[-] I'll be asking my friend Tom to reinsert his pictures[/-]:
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3745.0

John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

Last edited:
OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Sorry George, didn't see your post. Yours is the best solution...if I'm lucky. My bolt on the latch fell out last month. I must have screwed up something when I put it back together.

Thanks John for the link.

Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
Be careful what you wish for. Last month, I couldn't get the seat to latch. Thanks to this forum I discovered that the latch mechanism had come loose. I put it back together and tightened it down, and the seat latched perfectly. Now it won't unlatch. Sat on it, jiggled it, moved it left to right and it still won't unlatch.

Any ideas?
I bet the cable came out of bracket or undone from latch when you put the latch back together. This might help https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?118293-ST1100-Broken-Seat-Hook-Latch-fix&highlight=

I bet if you can pull on the cable from left side it might come unlock.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've got to get the garage warm enough to give the plastic a little flexibility. My little electric heater won't heat the garage enough.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Among all these tips, you'll be able to get'er done. Please poST the results. The pics in a couple of the posts are great but ya can't take those with the seat in place. :D

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Hmmm.. I don't remember dealing with the small metal square. I also didn't test to see if the key operated the latch.

Top Bottom