Seat won't unlatch ST1100

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
No, the garage has been too cold and I was afraid I would break some of the tabs. I'm going to wait until it warms up a little.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
The cable came unlatched when I re-bolted the latch. He had to remove both side panels, the tail cowling and the tail superstructure. Cost me $75; money well spent. It is in the 50's here today so the 15 mile drive up and back was pleasant. He locktited the bolt that holds the latch so this won't happen again.

Found this thread helpful today when I had this problem. Thought I'd share a slight addition in case it helps someone else.

I used a pry bar to lever the seat up to gain access to the front grab rail bolt. All other steps to get the tail unit off is straight forward or said already in the links above.

My latch mechanism had 'failed' due to the outer sleeve popping out of its 'stay' on the frame. See circled picture. A slight press with the g clamp on that 'stay' or clip meant it now holds that cable much more securely.

It was likely knocked when it was removed or possibly some material lost when frame was sand blasted and powder coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom