New TPMS for the budget conscious

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have a Doran TPM system on the FJR and like it. I've had others on past bikes. I was looking for a TPMS for the Wee, and was wondering what new systems are out there. I was looking for budget, user-replaceable sensor batteries primarily. Here is an interesting one from Hawk's Head. Advantages, small sensors, user-replaceable batteries, wireless remote display, displays both PSI and temperature.

http://www.tpms.ca/

Visit their website and check out the T-shaped metal valve stems, which seem to be very convenient, i.e., you don't have to remove the sensors to air up your tires. Also, good where there is very little clearance to the front brake calipers (FJR), therefore, not possible to mount the Doran sensor externally, especially with Doran's angled metal stems. With the T-shaped stems one should be able to (I will convert at next front tire change). I prefer external mount so one can change sensors easily if need be, and for winter storage, remove the sensor to preserve battery life (they transmit continuously as long as there is air pressure, and don't transmit at 0 psi). And all that hype about possibility of sensors being stolen, forgedaboutit, who would care about your valve caps.

While I was shopping, I think I found the identical system on ebay, direct from Hong Kong or China... search Lexinmoto TPMS...... for significantly less $$. (I paid $106 w/free shipping).

I received it in a week, and opened the nicely made box. Looks like quality materials and finish, user manual printed on decent paper, nothing cheap looking about it. The sensor caps screw off with some effort to get at the batteries for replacement. There is a very thin O-ring seal, that gets fully encapsulated and won't leak. The kit comes with two spare O-rings (you may never need), and two allen keys to install the set screw locks onto the valve stem. I have not installed this system yet nor ridden with it (it's winter!) but will update with a further review in the spring. I plan to mount the display in a prominently visible spot on my dash shelf (keep reading).

Playing with the remote display, there is an audible beep, vibration and flashing display if tire pressure or temperature goes beyond the limits you program. But I would say you may not hear it while riding, or see the backlight in bright sunlight, but may see the black LCD display flashing. You can just put the remote in your pocket, and feel the vibration alert, but you won't be able to monitor the readings.

On the Doran, there is a bright red flashing LED for alerts, which is hard to miss. You do have to push a button to see tire pressures (no temp. feature).

Anyway, if you're on a budget and want ease of install and use............... there are other cheap Chinese ones out there, but this one looks better to me.

Edited out non-functional web link.....

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Good find Ray.

FYI - The 1st link ... Google Chrome couldn't find. The 2nd link had more than enough info ...

OP
OP
RaYzerman
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Good find Ray.

FYI - The 1st link ... Google Chrome couldn't find. The 2nd link had more than enough info ...
Yep, doesn't work for me any more so I'll edit it out........

Also forgot to mention, the remote display unit does not appear to be waterproof, so you'll just have to be aware of that if it rains.

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am using a TPMS by TireSafeGuard the unit is not waterproof so I put mine in an Otter box I drilled a small hole the sizre of the power cord it works well and is hard wired to the bike the sensors also have a replaceable batteries.
Just another option.
http://www.tiresafeguard.com/

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have the Orange but have yet to have the system functioning. I have had the sensors in other wheel/tire set ups and have yet to have both front and rear on the same bike at the same time, so it would work right.
I do like the simplicity of the end of stem approach and will likely go with these. I would think there id a way to dip or otherwise waterproof the fob. Maybe a small Otter Box mounted in clear view?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Any updates on this TPMS system? How's it working for you?

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
My orange system is working better than when I purchased it a few years ago. All that has changed is I installed a new battery.
Worked great on the rainy drive home today.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the Orange but have yet to have the system functioning.
I bought my bike last Sept, and it had the Orange TPMS already installed.

Thought it was pretty cool,to have real-time pressure and tire temp - then, after a month, the rear quit working.

Over the winter, in the garage, I turned on the key and both were dead :confused:

Tried emailing, and phoning Orange - no reply, they're gone.

So I had to pull both wheels, and spend $60 to have my tires broken down to remove the Orange junk and put in valve stems. :mad:.

Lesson learned - I will never, ever, buy any TPMS system that has to be installed into the wheel ;)

But, I wonder if the ones that screw onto your valve cap would affect wheel balance ?

OP
OP
RaYzerman
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Sensors are sensors, inside or out........ so yes, they will affect balance. You could just put an equivalent weight 180 across the wheel, then next tire change balance as a unit.

The original one I posted is still in the box, awaiting something called Spring, whenever that comes.............

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have a Doran TPM system on the FJR and like it.
On the Doran, there is a bright red flashing LED for alerts, which is hard to miss. You do have to push a button to see tire pressures (no temp. feature).
Hey Ray,

I would add for anyone considering the Doran: you have to push a button to see tire temps in normal operation, when there's a loss though, it immediately shows the low tire and it's pressure, continuously, without a need to push anything.

Spring is coming Ray . . . I promise!

Shuey

PS: Doran external sensors work great on the ST, but don't fit the FJR front wheel using the provided Doran 90 Degree stems, however they work just fine using the Ariete stems which are shorter and closer to the wheel rim. (They're also a better stem period, never failing after over 300k of use.) FWIW.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
(They're also a better stem period, never failing after over 300k of use.) FWIW.
Do you do anything special when installing them? Add some sort of sealant around the stem or refresh the install at some point. Are these the SlowBoyRacing (the vendor here) stems that look exactly like the Ariete but don't say Ariete, or the branded deal?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Do you do anything special when installing them? Add some sort of sealant around the stem or refresh the install at some point. Are these the SlowBoyRacing (the vendor here) stems that look exactly like the Ariete but don't say Ariete, or the branded deal?
Mine are the Bridgeport (Ariete) stems and . . . normal install, didn't do anything to them, there great as they are. The only time they get re-looked at is when tires are changed and they've never leaked or required any adjustment on my tires. Also, since the valve stem isn't rubber, they don't break or crack! :)

Here's an Amazon reference with good pics. Notice the "B" on the gold one (Bridgeport).
http://www.amazon.com/Ariete-Racing-Tire-Valve-Stem/dp/B001EFD6UQ

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Do we have any long term evaluations of the original product yet? I am looking into getting a TPMS and always assumed I would go with the Doran unit however, Hawks Head, the manufacturer of the original unit mentioned, now offers a motorcycle handlebar mounted, IP69 waterproof, unit. This new unit is also usb rechargeable.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have used the Hawks Head system for the last 3 years for about 15K miles, it has been working OK and I have not had any problems. I don't have the system turned on all of the time, mostly when I need to check pressure during a long trip.
I have my sensors mounted on 90 degree stems and it has not been a problem. I works ,and still with the original batteries, and it has been accurate.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Ray it says its weatherproof.

The weatherproof IP69K monitor can be easily detached from its mounting bracket and removed from the machine if needed. Simple charging with a supplied USB Cable of the motion activated monitor removes the problem of chopping into your bike wiring for a monitor power source. Easily take the system with you when switching motorcycles.

Also check out Tire Safe guard

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The new HawksHead version is only a little less expensive than the Doran, $175 vs $199. I might still go with the Doran for the piece of mind of a hard wired system. For somebody not wanting to mess with wires or needs a smaller exterior valve mounted transmitter, the new MC HawksHead looks really nice

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Do we have any long term evaluations of the original product yet? I am looking into getting a TPMS and always assumed I would go with the Doran unit however, Hawks Head, the manufacturer of the original unit mentioned, now offers a motorcycle handlebar mounted, IP69 waterproof, unit. This new unit is also usb rechargeable.
I've been using the HawksHead TPMS for about 4 months now. I like it a lot. It's the older model that's not waterproof. It did get wet while sitting on my bike at work during a long hard rain. I took it apart, pulled the battery, dried it as best I could and put it in a dehumidifier... it came back to life after a few hours. Since then, I've tethered it with a long tether... if it looks like a hard rain, I just pop it off my home made mount and it goes in the glove box. So far, it's worked flawlessly, although it takes a few seconds after the tires rotate to get a signal. In addition to tire pressures, it can also display the tire temps with one button click. And, at night, one button click lights it up. I like the waterproof version and would buy that one if I was buying one now.

I also like it because I can easily transfer it to another bike if needed. As I add farkles, I try to select and mount them so they can be easily moved to another bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I have had the Doran system going on 3 trouble free years, it has been saturated and still works just fine, on my second set of sensors, they last a couple of riding seasons.

Top Bottom