Gloves Held Steve Classic Gloves - Discontinued?

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The few sites that carry Held gloves seem to have very few sizes available in the Steve line. Anybody know if they are discontinuing this line of gloves? Shame if that's the case because though pricey, they were the ONLY gloves I've ever worn that were truly comfortable, offered great protection, and allowed feel on the palm side (thin kangaroo hide).

If the Steve has indeed been deep sixed, not sure what glove I could get that would compare with them. I need a touring glove, one that is good for all day riding. I've got a stack of old gloves that were OK for hour or two rides but longer than that, seams started to dig into your fingers or they bunched up in the palm. The Steve's never did any of this.

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
I have a pair of Steve Classics in size 9 or 9.5 a size .5 or 1 too large for me that I got from a friend who drove his Goldwing off of a cliff-and lived. Sold me all his gear. PM me. I have the Steve II gloves and love them as well as a pair of Rev'it Summit that are great. What's wrong with the new Steve II's? They are 30 bucks off on Revzilla right now. I can't see the difference that much but if you want the Classics let me know.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
What's wrong with the new Steve II's? They are 30 bucks off on Revzilla right now.
Look closer at the Revzilla site and you'll see that the Steve II has been discontinued. There is only one size remaining available for order of the Steve Classic so I have to think they too may be getting ready to be axed.

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Look closer at the Revzilla site and you'll see that the Steve II has been discontinued. There is only one size remaining available for order of the Steve Classic so I have to think they too may be getting ready to be axed.
Damn, I too thought I had found the perfect glove. I see that New Enough, now Motorcycle Gear.com has some Classics in a few sizes and most in long or short. I'm going to order another pair.

I really like the built in visor wipe which is something that should be on ALL MC gloves.

Hope you find a pair in your size.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Damn, I too thought I had found the perfect glove. I see that New Enough, now Motorcycle Gear.com has some Classics in a few sizes and most in long or short. I'm going to order another pair.
Call ahead first. I ordered a pair that their website said was available and turned out they didn't have it. Had to get a refund.

The guy at Motorcycle Gear wrote me that he was told by the Held folks that the classics weren't being discontinued, that they would be available again "early" next year but I have to wonder. Of all the times not to have your items for sale! You'd think they'd go out of their way to have a full stock of everything they have available for their vendors at Christmas time. Doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The guy at Motorcycle Gear wrote me that he was told by the Held folks that the classics weren't being discontinued, that they would be available again "early" next year but I have to wonder. Of all the times not to have your items for sale! You'd think they'd go out of their way to have a full stock of everything they have available for their vendors at Christmas time. Doesn't sound right.
You'd think, but you know what they say about the best-laid schemes of mice and men. Sometimes something in the supply, manufacturing or distribution chain goes awry and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. If the product hasn't been discontinued, then Held is probably more unhappy about it than people trying to buy them.

The best way to find out for sure is to cut the middleman out of the picture and ask Held directly. I got a quick, helpful response from them last time I dropped them a line.

--Mark

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The best way to find out for sure is to cut the middleman out of the picture and ask Held directly. I got a quick, helpful response from them last time I dropped them a line.
I did and got the same response as the folks at Motorcyclegear.com. From Held: "Look for Steve Gloves after the first of the year."

Either the German parent company is planning on discontinuing the gloves or somebody along the line screwed up.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I did and got the same response as the folks at Motorcyclegear.com. From Held: "Look for Steve Gloves after the first of the year."

Either the German parent company is planning on discontinuing the gloves or somebody along the line screwed up.
The literal interpretation of your quote from them implies they expect to have them back in stock after the first of the year, doesn't it? Or was the message something like "we don't know what's going on, come back and look for Steve gloves next year and we might know more but then again we might not"?

If you can't get them, another glove that's very comfortable is the Z Custom Deer Tracks. I think they technically renamed them something else, but I think the Deer Tracks name has continued on unofficially so they would know what you're talking about if you ask for them. The construction is such that there are no seams that your fingers will rub against, and the deer hide is very soft, but thick enough for great protection. They don't have that 'pick up a dime' feel of the Held's, but they're an excellent glove that you can't beat for comfort and durability.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The literal interpretation of your quote from them implies they expect to have them back in stock after the first of the year, doesn't it? Or was the message something like "we don't know what's going on, come back and look for Steve gloves next year and we might know more but then again we might not"?
The quote was direct from the US supplier of Held gloves. If I take them at their word, then yes, they'll have them 1st of the year. On the other hand, I'm a bit suspicious that the German parent company didn't supply them with an abundant supply of these gloves during Christmas. Seems weird that they'd short their American suppliers during the busiest buying season of the year. Take a look at how many sizes that are on back order.... LINK .

At any rate, I don't need new gloves right this minute. I can wait until the first of the year. It's just that I have a really hard time finding gloves that I find truly comfortable. The Steves are as close to being the perfect glove for me as I've ever found.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Seems weird that they'd short their American suppliers during the busiest buying season of the year.
Its warm enough where you and I live to be riding at Christmas, but for a very large percentage of the motorcycling world (including Germany) its too cold to ride (except for the few hardcore riders who'll ride in anything). So I suspect for motorcycling gloves Christmas may not actually be their busiest buying season of the year, and may be the time when they start producing and restocking for the next riding season. Of course, those Aussies are in their riding season now, so they may be buying at Christmas, maybe its their fault that the supplies are so low right now.

JZH

International Bodger
FWIW, I was reading somewhere recently, possibly the UK Motor Cycle News, that Held is one of the few motorcycle gear companies that still manufacture custom gloves (e.g., for people who are missing fingers, etc.), at only a modest extra cost over RRP. I used to wear what I think are now known as "Steve" gloves, so I feebly recall that the Steve model was one of the ones they customise. So, I doubt it is really discontinued. Good luck.

Ciao,

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Shall any of us Euros prepare a care package? ;)

Appreciate the thought but the U.S. supplier claims they have not been discontinued and to look for a resupply during the first of the year. What I saw on the German link you provided seems to back that up... good news! As mentioned, I'm not desperate for new gloves right now so I can wait before checking with Held US in January or February.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
The lack of availability may have something to do with this press release stating that Held North America will 'close down' effective Dec. 20: Held NA press release

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Also says new representation for the US should be established 'very soon' whatever that means.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

JZH

International Bodger
Back in the "old days", Held gloves were imported into the USA and sold by Helimot in Fremont, CA. I bought my first pair there. It sounds like "Held North America, Inc." was just an independent distributor that went bust (with no ownership relationship with Held in Germany). Maybe Helimot or someone else will start importing them now?

Now that I live in Europe, I buy my Helds in Germany through Louis stores or online via Louis.de, who have an English-language site and ship to the UK (and possibly to the USA?) Louis used to have "Rastposten" (outlet) shops in some German cities as well, offering deeply discounted items, such as Held gloves, but they may have shut those shops down, as I cannot find any references to them online anymore...

Ciao,

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I got this email from Motorcycle Gear why ago.

Held USA Quits Business Liquidation Sale
Held gloves (and other apparel products) are made by Held GmbH in Germany and have been distributed in the US for the last 10 years or so by Held USA, which is a small "mom and pop" out of North Carolina. In mid-December, Held USA announced they were quitting business. And at that time, we bought their remaining inventory of Held gloves in the US as a closeout/liquidation. There has not yet been a new distributor established and therefore no more stock is currently available (other than the gloves in our stock and the gloves that other retailers may have in their own stock).

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I recently tried to buy some Held Airstream gloves (a fantastic summer weight glove) and found their availability to be pretty minimal. My research says that Held is going to be distributed by Schuberth (the helmet folks) but I still find places like Rex Zilla to be out of stock. I pray that Held can get back on its feet and make its full line of gloves available soon.

Best I can tell, Motorcycle Gear no longer has Held glove for sale.

Anybody have more info??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I recently tried to buy some Held Airstream gloves (a fantastic summer weight glove) and found their availability to be pretty minimal. <SNIP>
Anybody have more info??
I wrote Held an email a while back (info@heldusa.com) in December or 2013 asking about availability of the Held Steve Classics and got the following response:

RE: Held Steve Gloves
"Look for Steve Gloves after the first of the year."

You might try emailing Held Germany an email.

Top Bottom