Bad elf Pro advice

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm looking at using my ipad mini as a GPS device. I have a wifi model only and looking at an add on device. In my search I cam across Bad Elf. They have a plug in unit as well as a bluetooth device that allows up to 5 devices to share the signal via blue tooth.
Here is a link to the website http://bad-elf.com/
There are apps that one can download that make the ipad function like a GPS with the aid of Bad Elf. No data plan required.
I'm curious if any of the members here have had any experience with this set-up, if so what did you think?

Thanks
Robert

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I use the bad elf Pro with my

WiFi only iPad mini @ Foreflight... and use it extensively inflight.

It works great! I wanted to stay away from the plug in types because I think it would prematurely wear out the plug on the ipad.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
It sounds like a good idea, but WHY? The Ipad Mini is a bit big for a motorcycle for sure, is not weatherproof, and for under 100$, you can get a dedicated GPS which will probably do the job better.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I do have a dedicated GPS, but the power connection is bad, so I'm in the market for a new one. Given the price point of a new one and the bad elf it wasn't too far off.
I have a mileage app that I can record fuel economy, so I can easily do that right at fill up time instead of transferring the data later.
Thought it would be cool.
Yesterday I made a waterproof cover for it.
i own it (the ipad)
i have the ram mount
the downside; doesn't work with gloves on. Yes it's big ;). Need to remove it everytime I stop for lunch or pie. I don't know what the software or app is like, so not sure about the transferring of route files and if that works or not. Hence seeking experiences on the usage. From the small search I've done it's popular in aviation as you yourself are doing. The on the ground stuff I'm curious about.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Honestly, most dedicated GPS units aren't particularly suited to survive on a motorcycle either. While the Bad Elf pro "won't get you there" (which is about par with a Garmin product too) it will record your track and send to a tablet or phone later.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Since my last post on this topic, I think the Bad Elf has become an even keener product with the surge of off-network GPS apps for smartphones. I really love this little unit. In combination with my iPhone, the Bad Elf has relegated the Zumo to a box in the basement that I can't remember where I stack under all the other boxes.

In a nut-shell, the Bad Elf makes your phone a true GPS unit that doesn't rely on your cellular network for triangulation and location.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
I use the bad elf Pro with my

WiFi only iPad mini @ Foreflight... and use it extensively inflight.

It works great! I wanted to stay away from the plug in types because I think it would prematurely wear out the plug on the ipad.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...
Not to mention that foreflight uses a lot of power! If you used a plug in gpstype, you couldn't have the iPad plugged in to aircraft power or a backup battery. I use the Dual xgps150. I haven't tried the bad elf units.

Top Bottom