Exercise routine to improve your motorcycling abilities?

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Does anybody else feel the need for exercises or an exercise routine to stay in better shape for motorcycling? I use a bicycle magnetic resistance stationary trainer indoors. Got the bicycle set up for the highest gear and the trainer set up for the highest resistance. I can hop on and off the trainer a couple times in the morning and a couple times at night. It tones up my leg and back muscles in a way that directly benefits my riding comfort. FWIW I've taken the seat off the bike too, forcing me to stand while pedaling. This *really* works the leg and back muscles and also the shoulder muscles much more efficiently and helps protect my knees from strain also.

What is your exercise routine specifically for motorcycling?

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I've always exercised for life in general with a focus on endurance which aids motorcycling and lots of other stuff. Especially after having both knees replaced and the other numerous orthopedic procedures, I have to stay active or I will lock up. Since I can't run after the knee work (highly not recommended), I do a 100 scrunches, 30 minutes at high resistance on my stationary exercise bike (usually 10+ miles) and then walk 3 miles five days a week. Then three days a week (every other day) I lift weights as long as my shoulders and wrists behave - small weight (60 lbs) but lots of reps (100). (I have nice 'smilies' scars on both elbows from lifting too much and tearing tendons and after my wrist surgery, they just don't handle a large amount of weight. ;-)) I think the key is keeping your 'core' strong, your back limber, and your legs toned up.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Phil, I agree, finding a way to keep limber -- especially the back -- is a great boon to being comfortable after the second hour on the bike. Even some gentle twisting and bending from the waist helps to keep things loosened up. Makes it a lot easier to get back on the bike the second day -- without a morning round of painkillers :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm in need of strength training. When I dropped lipSTick in the driveway last Friday morning, I couldn't lift her alone. That's a first. :(

Too much time in front of the monitor...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I make sure I always lift a cold beer or two while sitting around the house. That gives me the confidence I need so that when I'm out riding and want to stop for a cold one I don't have to worry about pulling any muscles while sitting at the bar.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I know it's not for everyone, but consider martial arts for strength AND flexibility. It ain't for just the kids. I started Tae Kwon Do at age 44, earned my 2nd degree black belt by age 50. It becomes a way of life and does a lot to keep things from locking up as Phil said. I don't think I'd recommend a high contact art form for anyone over 50, but there is many light or no contact arts available to those of us in the senior divisions.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I make sure I always lift a cold beer or two while sitting around the house. That gives me the confidence I need so that when I'm out riding and want to stop for a cold one I don't have to worry about pulling any muscles while sitting at the bar.
+2 :bow1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For motorcycling I think light cardio a light general exercise regimen and squats (with and without weights) for the quads is the ticket. Maybe racers need something specific. Or maybe something for Competitive Tent Assembly.

Otherwise just general exercise and work the quads. Specific to motorcycling (and other sports) exercising the eyes to track together might help. For most of us that's not as common as you'd think. Any activity that can increase reflex and speed would be good. Not that easy in um, advanced years.

RCS

I do light weight training (pushups situps, pullups, 20lb weights) 3x/week for about an hour each time and 2 hours on the bicycle 3-4x/week for aerobic exercise. It keeps all of my muscles toned and joints working well. Also strengthens my core. In total it is about ten percent of my waking hours. The aerobics also helps me sleep much better.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I ride a bicycle for cardio and endurance. I have a magnetic trainer but hate that thing. I'd rather ride outside in a 35 degree rain for 2 hours than pedal on the trainer for 20 minutes!

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Besides weight training and aerobics a few times per week, I go through a routine for stretching and extending the range of motion for my lower half every morning. Since starting this routine about 5 years ago, I find that I no longer have any problems with my legs or back while riding all day for multiple days. I think flexibility is as important as any other aspect of riding health.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
I reside in a 100+ year old house with over 100 feet of sidewalk to clean snow and ice from. For exercise I use non powered equipment. When my body tells me enough, I go for the power equipment. I also collect wild mushrooms in the seasons.....all walking, stretching and bending when I am able.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Exercise should be a way of life, not only considered for a specific need. Find something that interests and works for you, then you'll stick with it. The older we get, the more important stretching and weight-bearing exercises become. Personally, I do Insanity/T25/P90X type of workouts. My wife does Yoga 4-7 days a week and we both hike & bike. I'm 53 and she's 51. Get your heart rate elevated (125-145) for 30-60 minutes a few times a week (for stamina I can routinely get my heart rate into the 180's). And balance exercises are very good too. Just don't consume too much pie or it's counter-productive ;-)

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Ha! I agree, magnetic trainers or rollers can be boring but I stick a picture on the wall and transport myself into one of my favorite rides.... headed up into Banff/Jasper.

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Ha! I agree, magnetic trainers or rollers can be boring but I stick a picture on the wall and transport myself into one of my favorite rides.... headed up into Banff/Jasper.
We used to call rollers and/or treadmills "practicing boredom". I have done neither for years. Ugh!

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
All of the advice is excellent.

In addition, I do balance excercises 5 days/week. One of the best, for me, is standing on 1 foot, on the Bosu. The Bosu is a inflatable 'half sphere' rubber bladder w/ a flat bottom.You can begin this exercise in a corner, if you are worried about falling off the Bosu.

This exercise has dramatically improved my balance for skiing, bicycling, dirt & street bike riding.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I swim laps...different strokes for different folks, but mostly freestyle for me.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
When I turned 59, I joined the local community center gym.
The goal wasn't bike-related, but rather to keep healthy as I get older.
Treadmill or eliptical, along with weights for me.
I try for 4 days/week.
After Christmas, I'll add some night skiing.

Steve :04biker:

Top Bottom