Exercise routine to improve your motorcycling abilities?

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
My wife and I go to community gym 3x each week, I work out with weight machines to strengthen my shoulder and legs, and she works out on the elliptical. I have torn rotators on both shoulders and swimming laps helps to keep my shoulders in shape. Nothing fancy just the ole sidestroke.

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I go to the gym five days a week. Thirty mins of cardo on the stationary recumbent bike and then thirty or so mins of weight machines. Arms, chest and shoulders one day and then legs and ankles on alternate days. Set ups and stretching to finish.
Usually about an hour to hour and one half.
I think it provides me with a good balance of training to keep the ticker strong and good muscle tone.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I'm thinking bicycle (road, mtn, or trainers) with ROAD being the best of the 3. It most mimics the slight lean forward of the ST. The extreme lean of of my Trek, makes riding my Honda seem feel like baby carriage. The road bike builds a solid core of ab and back muscle which are most used in motorcycling. Along the way it builds the endurance to counter the fatigue felt in arms and shoulders by leaning forward on them for long periods.

All I know is several days a week of cycling, a few months before embarking on a cross country ride, made everything about that ride better. The only thing I dislike is the inherent risk of cycling, it goes against every instinct I have as a long rider. It calls on you trust a motorist much more than you ever will riding. Depending on a car to give you room when they come up behind is not natural.

Top Bottom