Race Tech Rear Shock Re-Build

rhc

Bike
2005 St1300
Santa came early to my house! I have been wanting to get the rear shock re-built for a while. After putting the Sonic Springs in the front forks, the rear shock started to show it's limatations
under two up riding. I have not installed the shock as yet. Work keeps getting in the way...

Ken

Attachments

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shock set you back? Looks like a plug and play replacement!

STOC #
Hi,
I have a full racetech setup on my '05??. like nite and day? Racetech put on a new spring for my weight, drilled the stock shock and replaced the oil and gas. I also have sonic springs and the gold valves on the front. The bike now just dances over bumps and tracks like on rails? Slightly stiffer but more plush if that makes sense.. The shock was done about 5 years ago and cost $425 with a discount coupon. Another point is now the shock is rebuildable. The stock shock is a throw away item.. Now I can have the oil and gas changed for a lot less than a new shock...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The stock spring was adequate for my weight and style so the RT rebuild with Gold Valve was about $350 several years ago. Amazingly I have 52,000 miles on it and it still works like new based on static and dynamic test.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shock set you back? Looks like a plug and play replacement!
That's because it is. Race Tech will rebuild your OEM shock, install a Gold Valve, and re-spring it for your weight if necessary. Mine works great. Less expensive than a new OEM shock, and better performing.

By the way: I have a loaner OEM ST1300 shock that can be sent to Race Tech if you don't want your bike down during the rebuild. See the "Loaner" forum.

OP
OP

rhc

Bike
2005 St1300
Hi Vinny,

Plug and Play replacement is correct. New spring, Gold Valve, all new bushing and seals, nitrogen fill valve assembly (so the shock can be re-built/re-charged again) $533.74 shipped to my door.
Race-Tech returned the old spring and valve/seal parts in the box.

Ken

OP
OP

rhc

Bike
2005 St1300
Just a quick follow-up on the Race-Tech rear shock. I was able to get the shock installed today. Not difficult but time consuming. I did remove the rear wheel for additional room to work.
Everything else went smooth. The bolt for the lower mount is now reversed.

Performance of the shock is much improved over stock. It appears the Gold valving and spring really makes a difference in the travel of the shock. Much smoother over all road surfaces and even my wife noticed the improved ride!
I am very pleased with the performance vs cost. I put on 125 miles today on some roads that we have ridden just lately, more shock movement (travel) without the undue sharpness is the best I can describe it.

I hope this helps someone else thinking about going this route,

Cheers,

Ken

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
The stock spring was adequate for my weight and style so the RT rebuild with Gold Valve was about $350 several years ago. Amazingly I have 52,000 miles on it and it still works like new based on static and dynamic test.
Dave did you have to send the shock to RT for the rebuild?

Top Bottom