Found a bad Seal

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
During the winter maintenance I found a seeping fork seal. As luck would have it, I had the seals, bushings on hand for a Race Tech Gold Valve install that didn?t happen. So that part worked out well. On disassembly, I found some nicks that were probably the cause for the seal failure.

With 53K miles on the clock and having everything here, I decided to go ahead and replace the bushings as well. Both sets were showing some wear. However I did see scoring or scratches on one of the lowers. I used Amsoil Medium Weight Suspension fluid which I?ve used in the past and I really like how the bike feels and responds.

Pics show new bushing on left, worn on right.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What was the wear like on the upper bushings, the ones on the right?

Putt-Putt

Dave Putnam
Bike
'08 ST1300
STOC #
The wear on the upper bushings will show on the inside. Did you find what caused the gouge in the lower bushing?

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The wear on the inside of the upper bushings is minimal. This is surprising considering the amount of miles on the bike. Can this be contributed to changing the suspension fluid every year?

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The scored bushing is the one being replaced.

Here is a basic parts list. You can do some searches to pull up the part numbers.
2 dust seals
2 oil seals
2 upper bushings
2 lower bushings
2 washers ("special washer" #24)

Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
A vacationing penguin is driving his through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Top Bottom