Jackets Jacket recommendation

Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I'm looking for a good comfortable 3/4 jacket for riding long distance. I recently purchased the tourmaster saber series 3 jacket and can't stand it. IMO if and if the vents are open it poofs up and acts like a sail, if the vents are closed it sucks up on you. Just very uncomfortable. So I'm curious what do you guys wear or suggest? I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 250 lbs.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I wear the Tour Master transition 2. No problems with the vents open or closed but it does get a little warm above 70 even without the lining.

Sometimes your gloves can have an impact on how the air flows. Is the air going up through the arms on your jacket? Or up from the bottom?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Olympia AST. Good vents on upper arms and chest. Two outlet vents on back. Got to be careful closing them up for a rain storm. Good quality. Fair price. Hi-viz yellow available.

pete

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I'm using a Tourmaster Intake 2, have had it for a few years now. It's a mesh jacket with a rain liner and insulated liner.
Works well in a wide range of temps. I wear it year round and it was 17*F a few days ago. Of course in the summer I remove the two liners and it's a mesh jacket so plenty of air.

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I've tried with gloves In and out of jacket. Only difference I see is with gloves in the jacket some of the poofed up air is able to escape. With the gloves on the outside of the jacket the poofed up air is trapped. I just decided to find a better jacket

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I use Joe Rocket full mesh with armour coat and zip open mesh on pants. Most time I am well vented with the full mesh and if a little cool I just wear my heated vest without plugging it in. I comes with a rain liner but only use that in rain. No puffing at all

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Tourmaster Epic, if it's cold. TM Intake Air 3 if it's warm.

John

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I dig my Firstgear Rainier, toasty warm when need be. I use a Tourmaster Intake 2 during the summer.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I will be getting the KLIM Latitude Misano.
Good jacket, with Goretex, good venting. I tried one on and didn't think I'd like it long term, sleeves didn't fit properly.... Revit Sand2 is good too, but I think I'll go with the Olympia X-moto (obsolete this year). Olympia fits me just right.. and check out the new Olympia MotoQuest to replace it.... maybe glad I waited.

Last edited:

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm looking for a good comfortable 3/4 jacket for riding long distance. I recently purchased the tourmaster saber series 3 jacket and can't stand it. IMO if and if the vents are open it poofs up and acts like a sail, if the vents are closed it sucks up on you. Just very uncomfortable. So I'm curious what do you guys wear or suggest? I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 250 lbs.
Firstgear Kilimanjaro. I'm not sure you'll avoid the puffing up, but i've never notice it looking like a sail. Their sizing is "real world" too. Every other brand, as I'm sure you know, seems to run majorly small.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 that I like, an Olympia Mesh that I also like. But they both stay in the closet as I exclusively use my Aerostich Roadcrafter Light suit which I LOVE ! Even in the Texas heat when it is over 105, the 'stich is my choice.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I've tried a Darien Light and others. I've been using a Kilamajaro for the last few years and it has been great.
I'ts waterproof and actually comfortable.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've worn a FirstGear, a Fieldsheer, a Joe Rocket, a one piece Roadcrafter, and a custom fit Motoport Kevlar Mesh. The money I spent on the first 3 would have easily paid for the Motoport, along with gas and a motel for the trip to San Diego to get sized. I still have my Roadcrafter, but the Motoport is a perfect fit and offers more protection than all the rest. Can't say anything bad about Aerostich, but the Motoport continues to be my first choice.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The problem may not be your current jacket. If you are using the stock windshield it will have significant effect on how your jacket vents and puffs up. the back pressure created by the vortex of the windshield will pull heavily on the back of your jacket and tends to cause it to inflate. This may happen with most styles of jackets. I had that issue early on with my Roadcrafter. Once I modified and vented the windshield, the problem went away. You may want to check out an aftermarket windshield or modify the stock one.

Last edited:
I bought a Kilamanjaro at Leather and Steel for $225. What a great jacket, warm with the removable liner in, and the venting is amazing with it out. Really impressed with this jacket. I live in a small town in Fruitvale BC and am so fortunate to have Leather and Steel here. They have an amazing store with great selection and prices. They do online sales as well.

Top Bottom