Jackets Jacket recommendation

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The finest jacket out there in my opinion is the Olympia Air Glide 3. It has a thermal liner, waterproof liner, and mesh outer shell. With all three in place it's warm to the upper 30s. With just the mesh in place it's good in 100+. Not a cheap purchase at $289, but quality riding gear.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I bought the Olympia XMoto and that has served me well in 30 degree, 40 degree Rain (stayed dry) and close to 90 degrees so far. The new version looks better but more expensive. I am still going to get something that is vented better for the heat as I could tell that it was getting a bit toasty at the warmest days.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Well I did a 4000k mile trip with the KLIM and it performed very well temps ranged from 24 to upper 70s with some rain the jacket vents well and I think could be worn easily to 80 degrees maybe a bit more as long as you are moving. It fits me fine I am very happy with it. No more rain gear or having to stop and put a rain liner under my jacket.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I had a Tourmaster Cortech textile coat and pants - much too hot for the summer. This year I purchased the Tourmaster Sonora Air Jacket and Venture Air pants. The jacket is awesome! Under 190.00 online, jacket is mesh and well padded. It comes with a gortex liner for rain (not tested yet but reviews are really good) that zips in, then a thermal liner that zips inside of that. The inside pockets are repeated in each layer so that you don't lose that capability when using layers.

So far I love this jacket, especially for the price. I've tested it from 35 degrees up to 75 so far and absolutely love the ability to stay cooler. The pants work the same way AND they are long enough to stay over my ankle even when seated (the cortech didn't do that). I was able to purchase both for less than the KLIM jacket alone. Good luck with your decision!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I bought the Olympia XMoto and that has served me well in 30 degree, 40 degree Rain (stayed dry) and close to 90 degrees so far. The new version looks better but more expensive. I am still going to get something that is vented better for the heat as I could tell that it was getting a bit toasty at the warmest days.
+1 on this one. The one I had served me well in my accident last October, although it was totaled along with every thing else, so bought another one. However, until I can get this scaphoid to heal, it has been In the closet for way too long. Impatiently waiting til I can get back out again!!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
IMHO is genuine GoreTex combined with long-sleeved/legged Transtex underwear mandatory for any serious riding...
Anything else advertised, like D-Dry, Sympatex, Texapore, etc... is just not working when out on the road...

Besides this I've further personal preferences/expectations on a touring jacket:
- adjustable, high collar, must reach up to my jaw, with soft, skin-friendly lining (fleece, neoprene) to avoid skin irritation/inflamed beard stubbles...
- sufficient total length (should at least cover 1/2 of your butt)
- removable shoulder and elbow/forearm armour (the often included back-armour might not be well vented, breathable, flexible and comfy as the ones worn directly on the body, like my Dainese Wave Air...), when washing/water-proving the garment twice a year.
- removable thermo lining, short enough to not soak up water from the saddle/bottom of the jacket
- double zip "labyrinth" front closure
- adjustable waist-strap/belt
- no metal buckles or buttons at lower front/belly to avoid paint damage
- 4 waterproof outside pockets
- 2 waterproof inside pockets, accessible by opening the main outer front zip
- adjustable sleeve width to fit over the glove-gauntlets
- patches or woven threads/zones of highly reflective material
- proper cut to support your riding position (you need to try that out in a shop...)

Once found the jacket, you will realise that you don't feel it at all while riding down the road, not temperature wise, nor obstructing your agility or feeling bulky in any way...

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I own a Tourmaster Intake 3.0 jacket, recently purchased, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. So far I like it and my son bought the Sonora which is the 3/4 version. I'm in Phoenix so we now are liner freenow, unless you want heat stroke!

Last edited:
I'm looking for a good comfortable 3/4 jacket for riding long distance. I recently purchased the tourmaster saber series 3 jacket and can't stand it. IMO if and if the vents are open it poofs up and acts like a sail, if the vents are closed it sucks up on you. Just very uncomfortable. So I'm curious what do you guys wear or suggest? I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 250 lbs.
I've been prowling for a jacket to supplement my perforated leather I've had for years. I want something lighter, but my main concern is safety.
I noticed a lot of the replies in this thread are oriented around the range of temperatures XXXXXX jacket can handle, but not much feedback with respect to safety.

Anyway, admittedly, I'm frugal and don't like to spend the money if I don't have to. I narrowed down my choices to:
* KLiM Induction
* Olympia Airglide 4 (lots of cool features - I recommend those on a budget to check it out)

I was about to pull the trigger, when I continued my research and came across the Motoport gear.

$500+ each for a jacket and jeans seems crazy to spend (in my mind), but I've decided to pull the trigger on this gear.
Turns out Kevlar is the only other material approved for road-racing.
Motoport has the best warranty also (7 years!): also, if you go down, and they can't repair it, they replace it.

Strong points to consider:
* Kevlar dries in minutes.
* 3-8 LBs lighter than leather *and* 10 times stronger, and doesn't stretch or shrink.
* All seams are safety-lock stitched
* All zippers are YKK.
* They also have more body armor in the jacket \ pants (not an extra!) than is offered by any other maker
* Kevlar doesn’t conduct heat \ cold like leather or nylon (95% of mesh\textile jackets are nylon \ polyester).
* Kevlar doesnt melt if you're sliding on the pavement like nylon \ polyester ...
* Made in the USA

They also offer a 1000 Denier Cordura, which is the only non-leather, non-Kevlar material that they recommend ... that Ultra II jacket is ~$380.

I'm going with the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar (wanted the stretch Kevlar, but they don't recommend for high-heat \ humid climates as we have in Texas) jacket and pants.
The added bonus is they're made-to-order ... I don't have to worry if it "fits correctly here, but not there" issue with off-the shelf gear.

I also convinced the g\f to order with me ...I agreed to "buy" her recently purchased Cortech mesh jacket.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes!!
Motoport makes phenomenal gear.
If I'm going to pay $500 for a jacket or pants it's not going to be because it has great italian styling or 36 zippers with 10 different liners. The only reason I wear a jacket is because of protection.

I've been prowling for a jacket to supplement my perforated leather I've had for years. I want something lighter, but my main concern is safety.
I noticed a lot of the replies in this thread are oriented around the range of temperatures XXXXXX jacket can handle, but not much feedback with respect to safety.

Anyway, admittedly, I'm frugal and don't like to spend the money if I don't have to. I narrowed down my choices to:
* KLiM Induction
* Olympia Airglide 4 (lots of cool features - I recommend those on a budget to check it out)

I was about to pull the trigger, when I continued my research and came across the Motoport gear.

$500+ each for a jacket and jeans seems crazy to spend (in my mind), but I've decided to pull the trigger on this gear.
Turns out Kevlar is the only other material approved for road-racing.
Motoport has the best warranty also (7 years!): also, if you go down, and they can't repair it, they replace it.

Strong points to consider:
* Kevlar dries in minutes.
* 3-8 LBs lighter than leather *and* 10 times stronger, and doesn't stretch or shrink.
* All seams are safety-lock stitched
* All zippers are YKK.
* They also have more body armor in the jacket \ pants (not an extra!) than is offered by any other maker
* Kevlar doesn’t conduct heat \ cold like leather or nylon (95% of mesh\textile jackets are nylon \ polyester).
* Kevlar doesnt melt if you're sliding on the pavement like nylon \ polyester ...
* Made in the USA

They also offer a 1000 Denier Cordura, which is the only non-leather, non-Kevlar material that they recommend ... that Ultra II jacket is ~$380.

I'm going with the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar (wanted the stretch Kevlar, but they don't recommend for high-heat \ humid climates as we have in Texas) jacket and pants.
The added bonus is they're made-to-order ... I don't have to worry if it "fits correctly here, but not there" issue with off-the shelf gear.

I also convinced the g\f to order with me ...I agreed to "buy" her recently purchased Cortech mesh jacket.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If I'm going to pay $500 for a jacket or pants it's not going to be because it has great italian styling or 36 zippers with 10 different liners. The only reason I wear a jacket is because of protection.
At the end you get what you pay for...
And with the second skin (motorcycle) clothing "protection" is a wide field: heat, cold, wind, sun, rain, etc... and the worst case scenario...

Top Bottom