Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I don't know anything about the Dutch mod, but on the standard interface all you do is tap on the screen from the default map view. That allows you to zoom/pan, switch between 2d/3d modes, select a place with a cursor, etc. Or from the "Destination" menu, one can direct to a place on the map.
That's also how it works on my 5" version with Primo and the Decent skin.

Bike
ST13 - 2004
Mmm. .. if I tap on the map it takes me to a different menue. I must admit I'm leaning to flogging this on eBay to someone with more interest in playing with it. I think I may return to a Garmin that I'm used to.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where do you tap on the map? With the MC mod, tapping on the map gives you the detailed menu. If you have a route or a destination set, hit the map to bring up the menu, then hit OVERVIEW. This gives you a +- option to enlarge or shrink the map view. Handy if you are wondering if Mr. GPS is ending you the wrong way ... ;-) With PRIMO, it all depends on which 'skin' you are running as to which features happen when you touch the map. The Dutch mod made the menu come up with large 'buttons' that would be easier to hit while wearing gloves.

Last edited:
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I've had good success with the Rage when putting in an address. Now I am trying to load a route by creating a KML file and loading to the SD card. It sees the route but when I load it the Rage insists on recalculating it, even though I have the Automatically Recalculate Route option set to No in the Extra Route Settings menu. I just want to load the route as it is defined in the KML file.

What am I missing here?

Edit: This is running Primo with the Motorcycle Edition skin.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
As I understand it you import a number of so called Placemarks into your GPS, which are locations/coordinates and a name assigned to that location. The GPS still needs to plot a route through those points.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I understand it you import a number of so called Placemarks into your GPS, which are locations/coordinates and a name assigned to that location. The GPS still needs to plot a route through those points.
Yes, it generally always 'calculates' but it is just computing the route through the 'waypoints' you have included from the start to the destination. But what can happen (which is true of most GPS systems) is they may chose a slightly different route unless you put enough 'waypoints' to force it to chose the way you want. With the MC version, when it finished calculating, touch the screen anywhere, get the button menu, and press OVERVIEW. You can then zoom in and out, scroll and see if what you got was what you wanted.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks Pieterv and Uncle Phil. I expected it to create a route just through the waypoints (placemarks) in the KML file but during route creation it adds like UP says extraneous side trips between waypoints. My waypoints were a few miles apart at most but the calculated route included "get on freeway West for 20 miles, get off and turn around and go 20 miles back East to the same road, then on to the next waypoint".

I'll try a denser collection of waypoint. Are there other settings in the route options I should look at? It's set to mostly defaults like Fast rather than Green or Easy.

Bike
ST13 - 2004
I've had good success with the Rage when putting in an address. Now I am trying to load a route by creating a KML file and loading to the SD card. It sees the route but when I load it the Rage insists on recalculating it, even though I have the Automatically Recalculate Route option set to No in the Extra Route Settings menu. I just want to load the route as it is defined in the KML file.

What am I missing here?

Edit: This is running Primo with the Motorcycle Edition skin.
I'm running the same and have just found this out as well.
I'm going to try adding placemarks to the route but I used to use a removal tool in my Garmin to remove the surplus of waypoint when had plotted a manual route so they didn't clutter the screen and keep announcing themselves.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I've found is mapping/routing software and GPS software sometimes 'disagree' as to exactly where something is located. Just for grins, I went to 5 different online mapping sites and got the long/lat for our company 'address'. They were from 1500 yards to 3 miles off as to where we are actually located - and each one was different! You sort of get 'practiced' as to where to put waypoint to force the GPS to go where you want to go. Also, you have to really zoom in on the mapping software when you plant a point to make sure you are actually on the road and not a couple of hundred yards east or west. :D For me. MS Streets & Trips and the PRIMO maps seem to usually line up pretty well but there is the time where they don't. If you find it wanting to send you back, press ROUTE OPTIONS>EDIT which will bring up the points of the route. Normally the first point is your current location. You can delete the 'erring' point (which should be the next one) and then continue on your way.

Bike
ST13 - 2004
What I've found is mapping/routing software and GPS software sometimes 'disagree' as to exactly where something is located. Just for grins, I went to 5 different online mapping sites and got the long/lat for our company 'address'. They were from 1500 yards to 3 miles off as to where we are actually located - and each one was different! You sort of get 'practiced' as to where to put waypoint to force the GPS to go where you want to go. Also, you have to really zoom in on the mapping software when you plant a point to make sure you are actually on the road and not a couple of hundred yards east or west. :D For me. MS Streets & Trips and the PRIMO maps seem to usually line up pretty well but there is the time where they don't. If you find it wanting to send you back, press ROUTE OPTIONS>EDIT which will bring up the points of the route. Normally the first point is your current location. You can delete the 'erring' point (which should be the next one) and then continue on your way.
Cheers Phil.
I'll have more of a play when I get time. Off on a 3 day jolly to Wales on the bike and was going to load a garmin route done by one of the group but it going to take me to long to sort it out tonight I think.
\v/

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My waypoints were a few miles apart at most but the calculated route included "get on freeway West for 20 miles, get off and turn around and go 20 miles back East to the same road, then on to the next waypoint".
I don't know about the Chinavision but when using Basecamp you have to zoom into the map far enough to prevent you from placing a way point on the north bound lanes if you are intending to go south. The software doesn't recognize that this way point is not something you want to visit but just there to shape your route so it insists on taking you to the waypoint. I try to zoom in on each waypoint so that it doesn't create weird routing, having said that I did have a similar detour on Thursday last week.

Gerhard

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
BTW, I need to up date the maps in my 5" version as they are from a bit back and on a trip it tried to send me down a closed road at night in Texas. Is the regular IGO better or is Primo? Saw the IGO source went up on his prices just a little but don't know a source for primo though.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The maps are the same 'format' for IGO8 or Primo and are interchangible. I personally like the PRIMO 2.4 with the MC 1.9 mod better than IGO8. If your source is the one I recommended, he also has PRIMO as an option.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
The maps are the same 'format' for IGO8 or Primo and are interchangible. I personally like the PRIMO 2.4 with the MC 1.9 mod better than IGO8. If your source is the one I recommended, he also has PRIMO as an option.
That would be the same guy! Thanks for the info

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Just wanted to check in with you. Have you had any issues running Primo? He says that the 128 memory is the least recommended and works better with 256 and he said the IGO8 would be better. Maybe your model has more memory than mine. Just caught off guard by his response.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do have the Rage or the 5" inch model? There are some 'sys.txt' options to use that seem to work around it. If you get PRIMO with the new maps, your old IGO 8 will work fine with the PRIMO maps. You just copy the \CONTENT\MAP folder from one to the other.

v8-7

Site Supporter
If you currently have a Peaklife or a Rage, you should be able to use the same software. You will need to edit the SYS.txt file and get the screen resolution 'correct', but it should copy across fine.
After dragging my feet for a year I picked up a 5 inch version..

I popped my ig08 sd card in and the screen goes blank when I hit "navigation" The navigation path has been set and the resolution is set at 400x272..

Here is my sys.text:

[interface]
skin="ui_igo8"

[rawdisplay]
driver="gdi"
class="landscape"
highres=0
screen_x=480
screen_y=272
stretch=1

[map]
2dheadup=1

[tts]
tts_buffer=118674
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
expected_engine_delay=1400

Is that what it is supposed to look like ?

Top Bottom