Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have attached a PDF file with pictures to help anyone who has purchased the Chinavasion GPS and IGO8 software set up the device. The instructions should also work for IGO Primo software but I haven't tried it. I also have added a Users Manual For IGO8. If I can be of any help in the process or you find mistakes in the document, just PM me.

****EDIT****11/06/2015****

Given the issues with the 'satellite' fetching of the RAGE that some folks have experienced and I have commented on, I recommend looking at the 5" unit from CHINAVASION instead of the Rage. I've found that their 5" unit syncs up very quickly and have much better backlighting than the Rage, not to mention the slightly larger screen for about the same price. They also have a nice 'hood' already built into the cradle. Slight less 'waterproof' by technical rating (IPX5 vs IPX7 for the Rage) but either rating is far above what is needed on a motorcycle unless you spend a lot of time in a carwash. The only issue I have found so far with the 5" units is that they want to come out of the cradle on rough roads so you have to be sure the security screw is well locked. I also added a little 'stopper' velcroed to the cradle as extra protection. They also run the same software as the Rage and the stuff in this thread applies to them. Hope that helps somebody along the way.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...when the sun gets directly behind you, it still washed out some.
Maybe an anti-glare protection foil would ease or cure this? They float around for a few cents in their millions on Amazon and smart-phone stores...

And thanks for sharing UP,
Despite my old Quest-I is still serving me fine, I keep eye-balling this unit, as I don't see much point on the currently offered, overpriced 'entertainment-centres' in today's satnav market...

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Uncle Phil,
This may be a stupid question but I know next to nothing of these computer things. Could this GPS run off Microsoft Streets and Trips? I use it on my PC for routing and trip planning.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's exactly what I use for my route planning. However, you will need a free program like GPSBABEL to convert from the .est format to the .kml format that the GPS uses. I do it all the time with great success.

snowdigger69

Snowdigger
Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
I received my Rage Gps today. It was ordered Jan, 14th. It says it will take an 8gb Micro SD card.. Does anyone know if it will handle a 16gb? I would like to carry my audio files. Moe

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Hi UP. Is there any benefit in using Microsoft Streets & Maps (sold as Microsoft AutoRoute in Europe/UK and cost ?39 in the UK) over Google Earth on the web which is essentially free?
In Google Maps you can save routes and export them and convert via Garmin Mapsource into routes uploadable to a Garmin (which is what I have as my GPS - Garmin 550).

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Derek - I like S&T/Autoroute (I have a copy of 2010 Autoroute also) for route planning better than Google Maps or Mapsource. But that's just a personal opinion based on the way I use it. I carry my netbook when I travel and have S&T/Autoroute stored on it. If I need to change a route or create a new route and I don't have Internet access, then I'm still good to go. S&T/Autoroute is also the only routing software I've found that you can import a list of address and it will resolve them to pushpins on the map. And it will also export a GPX file that the Garmins are fine with if you don't have Mapsource.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I've just ordered the Rage. It was only $5 more to have delivery in less than a week vs. 25-30 days so I chose that option.

When I went to the URL provided in the Peaklife thread to order the map card (keeping in mind I wanted to request the correct screen dimensions) I was redirected to this page. Not surprising at all as it refers to a newer version of the software so that's good. But not so good because it appears there is no way on the page to actually order the software:( Has anyone else faced that issue? Or has suggestions for ordering the best software for this unit?

I got both the iGO8 and iGO Primo off the internet, PM me for details. It is a bit of a pain, but both are working fine on my unit now. I run one on the internal memory, and the other on the 16gb SD memory card.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Not surprising at all as it refers to a newer version of the software so that's good. But not so good because it appears there is no way on the page to actually order the software
I emailed the guy using the ask seller a question or something like that and he sent me an address to paypal him the funds .

This was his reply :

"Hi,
Sorry for the confusion. I am having technical difficulties with the eCrater checkout system right now.
Meanwhile you can send the payment directly via PayPal to adderlan1@gmail.com
Thanks."

So you might email him at the above address .

v8-7

Site Supporter
On another note, I'm having a hard time connecting to the usb port on the gps unit .

I think there is some rubber or plastic preventing the connector from fully seating .

I got the unit working but it just turns off now . I think it may be because the battery is near dead and won't charge .

Have you guys had this problem ?

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I had to work to get the rubber cover off the USB port. I finally figured out that was what the stylus in the cradle was for. Once it was open, I had no problems seating the USB and charging/loading from the computer.

Bike
2007 ST1300
It's a known problem that the unit has a finicky USB port. The cable that came with the unit seems to be thinner and allows a good seat. Although I haven't noticed the problem on my unit, it might be the luck of the draw with the cable I use?

Dennis

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
No problem here with the USB connector. My Rage arrived today and I managed to pry the USB cover open with my fingernail (thanks for the tool tip, above, I'll use it to insert the micro-SD card) and plugged it in to a wall charger. I'll leave it charging overnight and try installing the iGO software tomorrow. I ordered the "North America 2013 Latest iGO 3D 2D GPS map software online update maps Micro SD/SD Card" from GPSMapStore.com for $32.90 incl. shipping. Tomorrow we'll see if it works. :)

I'd like to send a big thanks to Uncle Phil for putting the time into supporting this GPS platform here on the forum. Without his encouragement and assistance I'd be doomed to peering at the multi-folded road map in my tank bag for the rest of my riding life, because I'm never going to spend the money needed to put a Garmin on my ST. Thanks Phil.

Top Bottom