Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Is that what it is supposed to look like ?
Mine looks the same. (EDIT: It's right for the older version of the Rage but not the newer one. See below.)

Has the path to the navigation app been set properly? (That's under Settings.)

--Mark

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Stan - The 'new' 5" models are 800X480. I'm running PRIMO MC 1.9 but I will get IGO8 running on one of mine and verify the sys.txt file if yours does not work. PM on the way.

It should look like -

[interface]
skin="ui_igo8"

[rawdisplay]
driver="gdi"
class="landscape"
highres=0
screen_x=800
screen_y=480
stretch=1

[map]
2dheadup=1

[tts]
tts_buffer=118674
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
expected_engine_delay=1400

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The first 5" models were 480X272 then when they released the GEN2 (which is what you got), they bumped 'em up to 800X480. I discovered this when I tried to install the PRIMO MC 1.9 mod and it wouldn't work. If you have any more issues, let me know and I'll see how I can help.

I've had a long time now - over a year - to use the Rage and I've been running the Moto Mod, edition 1.9. I don't have a sys.txt. Maybe having one would force some features I would really like.

I always want North Up - I mean always. Tapping the compass arrow puts the map to North Up until you revert to the previous screen and then it's back to a floating compass and traveling direction up and that really throws off my brain's internal navigation.

The zoom creeps back to a level where it's neither far enough out to give me a perspective of what's "out there" and coming up when I'm between towns on a tour, and on the other hand when I get into a town it's not zoomed in enough for me to distinguish roads 1 or 2 at a time as they come up.

Information bars and the font sizes in general are too small. So are the buttons plastered all over the edges of the map while traveling. The buttons in the settings sections are better.
I'm using the Rage CVUG-TR53 with 4.3" screen. I thought the motorcycle mod was to make use on a motorcycle easier but I'm not experiencing any benefit. I'm ready to revert my loader to iGo8 or Primo 2.4 and see if my feelings change.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My version of MC Mod 1.9 only has 'buttons' when you tap anywhere on the screen. Then it brings up a whole 'page' of oversized buttons. Do you have PRIMO 2.4 as the 'base' software? The MC mod is a 'skin' that goes over Primo 2.4 and supposedly only works with Primo 2.4. BTW, there are all sorts of 'skins' out there for PRIMO 2.4 to make it look pretty much any way you want it to. You can find them with a little search of the GPS boards.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hello everyone,
I have been watching this thread and finally decided to jump in and get a Chinavasion 5" GPS. I purchased the software here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322468537410?rmvSB=true. First problem I noticed was even though the ebay listing says "Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item" the memory card arrived in a regular envelope with no packaging or documentation, So that may be the problem. I made a backup copy of the memory card and then installed it in the GPS. Following Uncle Phil's directions I selected the navigation path and then pressed the navigation icon. Nothing! I pressed it a second time got a pop up message "Warning the application failed to start last time. Do you want to reset to factory defaults and lose all your POIs, tracks and settings?" I tried selecting both Yes and No with no effect. I made sure the Resolution was set for 800 X 480. The sys.txt looks very complicated so I renamed it and substituted a simple one that I saw here on this thread that was no help either.

Any ideas besides a problem with the software? Any recommendation on where I can buy a "real software package" the link to the GPSMapStore.com doesn't seem to be a link to a store but rather a menu for other links and advertisements or am I missing something there

I was hoping to get this going so I could try it out on my trip to Moonshine next week but time is running out for this. Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mel

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Melvin - Do you have a 'reader' so you can see what is on the microsd from your PC? Is it IGO8 or Primo (the name of the .exe you pointed to)? My first instinct is either the microSd card is bad (what brand is it?) or the software is corrupt. Some EBay sellers are less than 'honest' and do not have a good download to install. I'm planning to be at Moonshine and I will be more than happy to help you sort it out there - which won't help you going up but will going back. I just bought 4 units directly from Chinavasion (for my cars and a couple of backups) but then I installed the software myself from my good working copy. The source for my original software is - yehob25 at gmail dot com. Here's what my sys.txt looks like now but it is for Primo 2.4 not IGO8 (which may or may not work) -

PRIMO 2.4 SYS.TXT -

[debug]
max_memory=40000000
reserve_memory="1500000"
experimental_features="1"
hnr="1"
show_hnr="1"
show_arrows_on_route="1"

[loading]
show_statustext=0

[folders]
has_secondary_root=0

[interface]
show_minimize="1"
recalc_voice="0"
start_navigation_time="5"

[camera1]
speedzoom="0"

[camera.intersection_zoom]
enabled="0"

[camera.roundabout]
enabled="0"

[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road="1"

[3d_config]
disable_roadsign_navigation_mode=1 ;0= 3D 1= 2D

From an old IGO8 Install -

[interface]
skin="ui_igo8"

[rawdisplay]
driver="gdi"
class="landscape"
highres=0
screen_x=800
screen_y=480
stretch=1

[map]
2dheadup=1

[tts]
tts_buffer=100072
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
expected_engine_delay=1400

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good Morning Uncle Phil,

Yes I have a reader and can see what is on the card. There are two folders one named "System Volume Information" and one named "Primo", In the Primo folder is located Primo.exe that is where I set the navigation path to. The micro SD card looks like a no name brand. I backed up the card to my Laptop hard drive when I received it, After your thoughts on the SD card I copied it to a SanDisk card but have the same results. I am going to use the sys.txt file you posted and try that. Based on the way this software was packaged and sent I suspect it is the problem. I have also sent an email to yehob25 at gmail dot com to see if I can purchase from him and how quick I can get it.

I would appreciate the help at Moonshine if I Can't get it working.

Thank You
Mel

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Uncle Phil

I got a response from JB "yehob25 at gmail dot com" and he says quote "Primo requires powerful new devices with at least 256MB of RAM or it will run slowly and/or crash. Otherwise you should use the iGO8 card."

Has anyone had problems running Primo on the Chinavasion 5" with only 128 MB of RAM? I already purchased some software that does not work I hate to buy something else that will not work. Is there a big difference in features between iGO8 and Primo?

Mel

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I got the same response a while back and scared me off from it for now but think UP has the same model and runs Primo. I will defer to the expert on that part and will wait to see what he says.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I run a stripped down version of Prim 2.5 with the Motorcycle 1.9 mod. On rare occasion it hiccups - no more than a ZUMO550 I rented in the U.K. ... ;-) But with the 'newer' version of PRIMO (which is an update to IGO8) it might be problem. IGO8 will do all you need it to do - I like the Motorcycle Mod (it only works on PRIMO 2.5) because it gives you waypoint warnings and you can throw them away if need be. I just use the maps from his distribution (did the update a bit back) since I have a working program. That's one of the nice things about this - a map update is just copying the maps and POI folders from the microsd he sends you to the proper folders in the GPS. I'd go with the IGO8 version to be sure it works because I don't believe his PRIMO works with the MC mod anyway.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well I ordered iGO8 from Josh at "yehob25 at gmail dot com" on Sunday, anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

Mel

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Re: Setting Up on FridayA Chinavasion Rage GPS

Well I received the new software and with the help of Uncle Phil spending some time with me at Moonshine I am all up and running on the new 5" GPS.
So far I am very impressed with it. Thank You UP

Thanks
Mel

Top Bottom