Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Keep us updated on it as I have looked at the same one. May get one if you have a positive experience from yours. Tired of using phone or trying to make a car one work on the bike.

Got Rage Christmas and have not been able to connect wiht my SENA SM10 motorcycle head set.
I follow GPS "on screen" propt. SENA SM10 is found. It tried connect but never does.
It the something I don't know to do?

Rage was loaded by suppllier with iGO myway Primo 9.2.0

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Never tried to sync to a SENA. Assuming you are in the 'base' (PRIMO not running) and go to the BLUETOOTH option, then it shows SENA SM10 as found (in the list of devices), does it just shows "CONNECTING" and never connects? Does it give any fail message or does it say CONNECTED?

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Just thought that I would give you an up date on my 5 Inch Motorcycle GPS Navigator from Chinavasion. I just got the IGo primo SD chip today plugged it in and set the path using Uncle Phill's Rage directions and it butted up right a way how ever the I was only able to see just a portion of the screen. so I went in to the SYS.TXT I didn't see the exact txt that Phill stated but I did find this

[interface]
show_exit=1
show_minimize=1
extra_settings=0
connection_enabled=2
enable_natural_guidance=1
enable_stateanim=1
resolution_dir="800_480"

and all I did was save it to my desk top and then changed the line reslolution_dir="800_480" to reslolution_dir="480_272" then rebooted the GPS and that fixed everything.

From what I can tell it sets up almost exactly like the rage it does have blue tooth and the cradle has a built in sun shade. The built in audio port has a boot that covers it so I would believe that would eliminate the waterproof rating with a audio cable in it. But it is a simple fix just unplug the cable when its raining and push in the boot. The only little complaint so fare is the on board speaker isn't very loud I could barely hear it in my truck but it was fine when I hooked it into my MP3 player jack in my truck which simulates how I will be using it on the bike by hooking it into my intercom system any way. I would also say I can see where there could be some issues with the cradle power connector it just clips in to the back of the cradle and just take a little squeeze to pop it out it seems solid now but I can see where it may come off with a tug on the cable. I haven't had a chance to run it on the bike in the day light to see if it is bright enough but it works well in the truck and I think the sun shade will help on the bike. other wise it tracks well and reacts fast when you go off route. On a side note I find it really annoying that IGO primo it tells me I have exceeded the speed limit when I am doing 60 in a 55 it does it just once right away when you go over but I don't like it "but my wife thinks it is good"

I do have to say I am really impressed the it found my location right away when I turned it on for the first time in my house very cool but I really only have experiences with military GPS devices and they wouldn't have done it unless I was right in fornt of the window.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
At 1/3 of the price of a Garmin, I'm considering it. Apparently you buy the SD card with the map loaded off Ebay. I'm not sure I could figure out how to change the resolution on the screen. How did you save it on your computer and make that change? If I ran into trouble I could take it to my computer repair guys.

Would someone like me be better off spending the money on a Garmin?

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
When you double click on the file it opens up in note pad and then I just did a save as so I had a copy of the original file on my desk top. then I made the changes and then did another save as and changed the name so that I could save it to the same location the copyied and pasted it to the SD card. you can access the SD card either throught a card reader if you computer has one or by using the USB cable that came with it. I it is really a simple as moving word files around on you computer. You can copy and past the hole SD card over to your computer so you have a back up in case you lose the SD card. I would bet that if you needed some help changing the resolution that some one here could help you out. Even if you needed to send the card to me. I didn't get the program from ebay I got it from gpsmapstore.com for $37.00.

Bike
VFR800
Would someone like me be better off spending the money on a Garmin?
I wouldn't skip on something like a GPS. I have been using Garmin since the late 1990s in airplanes as well as in the car and I wouldn't recommend anything else. I do understand the motorcycle side of Garmin GPSs are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wouldn't skimp on something like a GPS. I have been using Garmin since the late 1990s in airplanes as well as in the car and I wouldn't recommend anything else. I do understand the motorcycle side of Garmin GPSs are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Well, my experience has been a little different than your opinion of a device you may have not seen or used in person. :D There are folks that swear by Tom Toms, Magellans, etc. and don't trust Garmins. We have Garmins at work and our NUVIs models have crashed and burned and refused to boot (system error). Garmin makes a great product (although the one I used in Europe died pretty quickly - ZUMO550). This is just another less expensive option for folks who are interested. Mine have managed to get me all around the USA (Alaska included), Canada, and New Zealand. The GPS software is the one that is used in most automobile GPS systems in Europe, so it works well. And hopefully, no one will follow their GPS off a cliff or have a heart attack if the silly thing burps ... ;-) It's just a question of value versus how much function.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This is like computers some like PCs, some Macs and others are in the Linux camp. I have been using Apple computers since the 1980s and my brother is a Linux user, both of us have the same goal when using the computer but the essential difference is that my brother enjoys getting the computer to work where I am only interested in that it works. I believe it a bit of the same with these GPS devices in that you have to be a little more dedicated to make it work. I was seriously thinking about the Chinese GPS when I read Uncle Phil's zeal for them but then when I realized that it involved buying the device, buying the software and installing and tweaking it I thought this will be just too much for me to enjoy.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's not that I have so much 'zeal' as much as it is such a good deal for those that want to give it a whirl. ;-) Sometimes when we venture out of 'safe' zone, we encounter a lot of life's adventures. :D But I understand the 'no hassle' approach also. But it is really not that much of a deal when you get down to it - it sounds a lot more complicated that it is. I help set Gizmo's up in the Cracker Barrel parking lot in Ohio in a few minutes. ;-)

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I help set Gizmo's up in the Cracker Barrel parking lot in Ohio in a few minutes.
I was there but by then I had already bought my GPS, and I was impressed that you set it up while being distracted by various conversations.

Gerhard

P.S. I think Robert (kiltman) ordered his before or shortly after we left Ron's house

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I thought it was a good deal so I went for it, however,mine had an issue and never really worked properly. I have sent it back as it has a years warranty. The company is really good at keeping you informed as to the progress of the repair. I hope to get it back in a months time.
The IGo8 software has some neat features, and I have explored a number of screens. It didn't take much time to set it up. UP's set-up instructions were easy to follow and I was able to follow them.
I like the speedo screen with average speed , stop time, distance traveled and max speed.

I have a Mac so uploading routes can be tricky if you don't have something like Garmin's base camp. (I'm tempted to by a cheap Garmin just to get the license for basecamp and return it under the 30 day return policy that Staples has.)
The bluetooth hooked up easily with my Sena headsets but I had issues of pairing both my iphone and rage to the headset at the same time. I think that can be resolved depending on the order one pairs the units.

When I had the unit in my GM vehicle the radio frequency interfers with my remote keyfob so I have to use the key to unlock my door instead of the remote.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was there but by then I had already bought my GPS, and I was impressed that you set it up while being distracted by various conversations.
I forgot about that. But nowadays, that 'forgetting' seems to happen more often .....:D The great thing about memory loss is you wake up with all new friends everyday! ;-)

FWIW I have a Sena 20S and a Rage GPS and encountered the same endless connect.

I had a phone already linked to the Sena using A2DP and the GPS wouldn't connect.
When I broke the link between the phone and 20S the GPS connected. Looks like the Rage needs to use A2DP.
I couldn't get both GPS and phone to connect to the 20S using A2DP so I dropped the GPS connection as I'd rather have music from the phone than directions from the GPS.

(BTW I did load some music on the Rage but the performance was dismal, stuttering and laggy.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
(BTW I did load some music on the Rage but the performance was dismal, stuttering and laggy.)
Nice to know about the music issue - I had a hunch that the processor was just not enough to do both. I have my own MP3 player so I never went down that road. I just merge my Radar Detector, MP3 player and the Rage into an Amplirider and into my Valk CB system which works really well for me.

Hello,
recently I bought Rage GPS. It is second generation with 8GB internal memory
It arrived with IGO software and maps.
Unit works fine, but problem came with Bluetooth connection to my helmet headset.

I have Cardo Scala Rider Teamset PRO and Cardo Scala Rider Teamset

I couldn't connect neither of those with GPS device.
When "SEARCH" is turned ON unit sees and finds Cardo Scala Rider but pairing doesn't works.
It looks that Bluetooth hardware works, but software doesn't.

So far I didn't made any software changes and unit is in same shape I received it

Please help! :confused:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Are you turning them on in the right order? My Sena and Rage are a little picky about which one starts first. Here is a section from the Cardo manual, which indicates a certain procedure for the first pairing. After the first pairing, it seems to be easier. Hope this helps.

1. Turn on your GPS device. Make sure Blutetooth mode is activated.
2. With the scala rider TeamSet pro headset turned ON, press and hold the CTRL Button for at least six seconds until the Red and Blue Lights begin rapidly alternating.
3. Search for Bluetooth headsets on your GPS device by following the device?s instructions.

John

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
How has that unit worked for you. They have put that unit on sale in case anyone else is interested at $119
https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycles-GPS-Navigator/
I have ordered a GPS from Chinavasion and I have been looking for the IGO software does anyone know if it is available for down load or is just available on micro SD. I guess that I am just impatient. I didn't get the Rage but I got this https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycles-GPS-Navigator/

Top Bottom