Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

I hope everyone is having a good riding season. Mine is just getting started. I still have the 4.3" Rage with Primo 2.4 and the Motorcycle Mod 1.9 I downloaded in 2015, but I'm hoping I can get advice on what I could upgrade to if I were to buy a unit today.
Chinavasion offers the 5" motorcycle unit - https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/ . I think that's it for motorcycle focused units, other than the 4.3" Rage.

And if I were to order the 5", what software should be installed and where do I get it that is a reliable source? Downloaded or a shipped microSD card.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Take the microsd out of the Rage or make copy of it to use in the Chinavasion 5" unit. You'll have to modify the sys.txt file a little bit which should be posted somewhere in this thread. Here's what I use -.

[debug]
max_memory=40000000
reserve_memory="1500000"
experimental_features="1"
hnr="1"
show_hnr="1"
show_arrows_on_route="1"

[loading]
show_statustext=0

[folders]
has_secondary_root=0

[interface]
show_minimize="1"
recalc_voice="0"
start_navigation_time="5"

[camera1]
speedzoom="0"

[camera.intersection_zoom]
enabled="0"

[camera.roundabout]
enabled="0"

[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road="1"

[3d_config]
disable_roadsign_navigation_mode=1 ;0= 3D 1= 2D

Bike
2003 ST1300
Take the microsd out of the Rage or make copy of it to use in the Chinavasion 5" unit. You'll have to modify the sys.txt file a little bit which should be posted somewhere in this thread. Here's what I use *snip*
Uncle Phil - do you have a picture somewhere of the 5" unit on your bike? Was looking at those today, but they look a tad humongous..

thanks.

bk

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uncle Phil - do you have a picture somewhere of the 5" unit on your bike? Was looking at those today, but they look a tad humongous. thanks. bk
Not as big as they seem. A lot depends on where you mount them. I have mine on my right reservoir.

Attachments

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I mounted mine on the center of my handlebar...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
ChinaVision Rage battery is not replaceable...correct?

I notice in a recent thread that Garmin is, and have no idea about others.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Wouldn't you know it, just as I was trying to load the routes for this weekends adventure in Ohio my the micro flash card decides to give up the ghost. I had a backup of the IGO8 software on a smaller card but not enough memorie to load the routes. I do like my Primo 2.4 but it's lost in the ether. Frantically trying to search through these posts to get the instructions on how to install the primo again.
Failing that, I loaded this weekends routes on the IGO8 platform but they won't come up when I go to the menu to load them.......AGH....... More searching required. (I have the 4.3" Rage)

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's where I have them. and they have the .kml extension It's a mystery :)
Can you 'create' a route on the GPS? Create a simple route and save it. Then see if it shows up in that folder.
If not, you ain't looking where you think you're looking. ;-)
If all else fails, I'll take a look at it at Mansfield.
If you want, email me one of the routes and I'll download it to one of mine and see if I can see it.
PM me if you don't have my email.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Can you 'create' a route on the GPS? Create a simple route and save it. Then see if it shows up in that folder.
If not, you ain't looking where you think you're looking. ;-)
If all else fails, I'll take a look at it at Mansfield.
If you want, email me one of the routes and I'll download it to one of mine and see if I can see it.
PM me if you don't have my email.
I've sent an email. I'm heading out now. chat soon. Thanks for your help cheers
Robert

And then somehow get it put back together correctly.
Have you ventured into opening up the case yet? I've opened mine a few times and it's another revelation of how well this gear is constructed.
The tedious part is fishing all the little black rubber plugs out of their holes. They reveal a bunch of screws to remove. The case comes apart without much fuss. You shouldn't have to pry it and damage any mating edges.
When I see equipment these days at this price where they took the trouble to use threaded brass inserts for critical screws, I'm impressed. This case won't loosen up like it would if those threaded posts were just soft plastic.
I can't remember much of the innards except it's cleanly laid out. One of my photos from 2015 shows a bit of the gold foil wrapped thingy that is likely the battery but it's mostly hidden by my fingers. I think you'd be able to de-solder the battery and replace it.

I opened it because the spring for the microSD card had failed within months of purchase so I ended up keeping the card jammed in with a shim. I can transfer everything needed via the USB so no big loss.
Chinavasion wanted me to ship it back for a look so I said screw it; it will be the end of riding season before I see it again or they send me a new one.

Top Bottom