Has anybody used the Motorsport Portable tire changer?

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Although I haven't used one, years ago a friend made something similar...my thoughts on this one:
Some rubber over the top hoop would prevent marring spokes.....
The fact that the hoop is off of the ground allows changing tires without removing or damaging rotors....
The "wing nut"/hold down is a shortcoming.....I would at LEAST find a couple large washers to contact the wheel.....better would be a tapered cone,
Hope this helps....have fun!

I picked one of those up on e-bay for $60, works "okay" as a bead breaker then the usefulness falls apart. Center bolt isn't long enough to mount a rear wheel properly and ended up screwing up a set of rear wheel bearings in the process.
Now this was on a 919 and I can't tell you if it would be any different on an ST, but if you want to try I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
When I'm due for tires again I'm going this route from Harbor Freight Tools

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html

OP
OP
Marcomalo
Bike
2007 ST1300
Those Harbor Freight dealies are a pain with the tools furnished. About everybody who uses one has some sort of modification. I just finished mounting a front tire (PR2) on my ST1300 and it was a bear to do it. This is the second time...did the rear a while back. The front is more difficult. There must be a better way.

I think the tire changer itself is okay for auto tires. It's the motorcycle attachment that is an ordeal. I think HF has stopped selling them. That is usually a good sign something ain't right.

I think I am going to pony up for the Nomar changer. I should have done it to start.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I picked one of those up on e-bay for $60, works "okay" as a bead breaker then the usefulness falls apart. Center bolt isn't long enough to mount a rear wheel properly and ended up screwing up a set of rear wheel bearings in the process.
Now this was on a 919 and I can't tell you if it would be any different on an ST, but if you want to try I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
When I'm due for tires again I'm going this route from Harbor Freight Tools
The harbor freight one goes on sale all the time for something like 30 bucks and screws on top of the grayed out car changer mounting base with the bead breaker.
The lever that comes with it isn't the best for demounting or mounting but spoons work, the bead breaker on the base works ok. Cut up pc of plastic milk jug works to protect the riim depending on what kind of irons you have.
Also you'll want a pc of round stock that fits thru the wheel bearing.

The rim clamp tabs are just painted metal but you can fabricate some chunks of delrin block that fits in the welded section. The tang adds a little bit of extra support.
Give me a sec I'll snap a picture.

Some sistered up pcs of cutting board would probably work.
HF rim clamp shim.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom