Uncle Phil's 2014 New Zealand Trip

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, in 47 days I'll be on a big bird headed for my New Zealand ride finally. I've been trying to sort this out since 2009. Finally this year the money and the time have come together so I'm getting a bit excited. Now a question for folks that have done it or live/lived in New Zealand. I've got an old LG CG225 cell phone that will take a cell card. I am only interested in voice not data. Looks like Vodaphone is one of the big players, but I am wondering if their sim card will work in my old phone. Anybody's experience that's actually done it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Congrats Phil!

I'll ask Matt if he thinks it will work, he, Jo, and Delta (1yr old) are in Dunedin.

Mark

P.S.
We are planning for our trip to visit them in Oct '14.

Bike
Vstrom 650
The best of luck on your trip Phil and I hope you have a great time, I hope to tour Ireland and some of Scotland this year,my horizons are limited compared with yours:)
Looking forward to your write up on your website,ride safe.

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
Hi Phil, I live in Melbourne Australia and had an amazing holiday 3 years ago in NZ. Unfortunatly not on 2 wheels but 4. You will have an amazing experience no doubt!
The roads in the north island are truly world class with smooth paved (!) emergency lane shoulders!
The food is the freshest you will ever source and the locals are friendly and have integrated with the Maori population.
The only advice I can give you is plan for the unplanned as you are very weather dependant on 2 wheels. As a rule of thumb, follow the dry weather routes and be careful on the wet.
We had 10 days of BLISS in "Pahia" at the "Bay of Islands" . Enjoy!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Sounds like a great trip, it will autumn then in New Zealand?

Is your cell phone unlocked? Here there are little kiosks selling cell phones accessories in malls that seem to be able to unlock most phones, they are usually flexible with pricing so be prepared to negotiate a little. You could probably email the New Zealand cell company and they should be able to tell if the phone would work.

We'll meet you at the Ohio RTE

Gerhard

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
And sorry I meant to say, your best bet is just to purchase a pre-paid sim card when you get to the airport and just make sure your phone is unlocked to all GSM 3G 4G networks.

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
And sorry I meant to say, your best bet is just to purchase a pre-paid sim card when you get to the airport and just make sure your phone is unlocked to all GSM 3G 4G networks.
I spent several months in Australia and New Zealand. You are best to buy a cheap phone and card (cost me $60 with one month of service, .25 cents per call, never used the whole amount) Your phone here won't work and different voltage for charging. If I had known this a week ago I would have brought my phone down to you for free. I was in Nashville last week.

You will love the trip, one thing you will find is climate can change quick, but in 15 min you can be in another one. fantastic roads, great people enjoy both the north and south (I perfer the south)

Last edited:
Bike
Suzuki SV650
I'm so jealous! I went to NZ in '99 and '00, and toured both islands by car. It's a stunning country, especially the South island. Have a great time!

Hawk52

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Have a good one Phil your going to love it. Probably better just to get a cheap phone there. I'm planning on going in Dec this year for a nephews wedding.
Mac

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
UP, I have no idea about the phone, but can you tell I am envious? Safe travels and take pictures!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Phil,
Look at your chargers. Most will operate on 240V, so all you will need is the plug adapter. Found this out cause ny sister lives in Oz and I've had to send her a extra charger that I had.

Have a good trip

John

Bike
2007 ST 1300
hi uncle Phil
im thrilled you are making the effort to travel to Gods own down under. I live in Hamilton and would be happy to ride with you if you are spending some time in our region. This summer hasn't been one of our best but its still a warm but slightly wet, fantastic ride. if you are looking for some local knowledge and my-be a ride together just drop me a line. phs pick up a cheap prepaid best bet. if you need any info would be happy to help cobie

Last edited:

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I'm so jealous too! I would love to go to New Zealand. ;) I will look forward to reading the trip report.

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Phil, most of the phone advice is confirmed by my experience. Make sure yours is a GSM capable phone or you'll need to get one there.

Are you renting or swapping? "Olegeezer" was in NZ for two months with a swap and really enjoyed it. He'd have info for ya.

Do you have the New Zealand maps for your Chinavasion GPS?

Looking forward to pics with stories... ;)

Enjoy the ride!

GS3&TT2

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Glad you are able to make this trip Phil, I know it has been long in the planning......

I look forward to reading all about it and drooling over the pictures later in the year...

Can't help on the 'phone, although the best option may be to buy a cheap PAYG.....

Ride safe and enjoy!

Not jealous.... much.... sigh.....

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, the sim in the phone is about 1/2" x 1" (2.54 cm X 1.27 cm) with the upper left corner trimmed off (old AT&T/Cingular) phone. Since it won't take up much room, I'll just throw it and the car charger in the bag for grins. So -

Cobie - In your opinion, which company - Vodaphone, etc. and where is the best place to pick up a sim card (and a phone if need be)? Airport or somewhere around Auckland? We'll start out on the North Island for several days before we head to the south island, so I would like coverage both places. Looks like you're south west of Auckland, so I think the closest we'll be to Hamilton is when we are in Auckland or Rotura. If we can hook up that would be great!

Mark - Thanks for asking for me. If you could get to him to check the sim card size without a lot of trouble, and where he bought it/phone and from who, I'd really appreciate it.

Alain and I will be renting ST1300s from Te Waipounamu, picking them up in Auckland and dropping them off in Christchurch. All of my electronics will run 120/240 (thankfully) so all I had to do was to get plug adapters for New Zealand. And the New Zealand maps appear to work great on both the Chinavasion Peaklife and Rage (I always carry a backup!). I've actually done flyovers on the GPS to make sure my routes don't make me get GPSed (GPissed - when your GPS takes you in tight circles or off on some crazy tangent!) :D Te will also be providing paper maps and I have the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas and Peter Mitchell's book, plus Keith Hooper (Around The Right Way) who has ridden a bunch down there, and another gentleman, Stephen, who lives down there, to look at my routes and offer suggestions. And Ole Geezer was kind enough to mail me a map that he used. Also got an appointment with TSA Pre Check to see if I can get an easier check in procedure. So needless to say, it is very hard to focus on work with this adventure coming up soon! ;-)

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
U.P.

An answer from Matt:
"Any quad band phone will work in NZ. Some phones will only work with certain providers, but that can be figured out here. 2degrees is a much cheaper service than vodaphone but uses the same network. The telecom network is the more "geographically filled out" network but you pay dearly for that extra coverage."

I couldn't see the size of your sim card listed so I suspect it's the standard size.
I'll bet you do want the 'telecom network' because of its more 'filled out' nature...

Mark

Top Bottom