I need help with Race Tech Gold Valves and Preload Adjustment at Adjustable Caps

Bike
2009 ST1300
With the help of large amounts of experience and "how to's" gleaned from this forum, I recently completed the above upgrade. My heartfelt thanks to all. I like a challenge and boy did I get one with this project. Well, today I am checking sag for the first time and find I need more preload on front springs. My sag target is 35mm and I have measured 53mm. During assembly I had to trim about 15mm off of RT supplied aluminum spacers to get recommended 15mm preload.

RT instructions do not say which way to turn adjusters to increase preload. Intuition says clockwise. Turns out they only turn clockwise. Turning the adjusters, I expected them to rotate, force the nut beneath the cap down on the preload spacer adapter and slowly increase the srping tension. However, the adjuster backs out of the fork cap instead. I know this is not right because it reveals the "o" ring on the adjuster. I feel dumb and and concerned that maybe the jamb nut on the damping rod has come loose.
Anyone have any experience with this? I can check with RT tomorrow, but that is a long time to have that funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bike
2009 ST1300
Thanks to all who have viewed this post. I contacted RT today and the professional I spoke with thought that my RT fork caps were defective and replacements would be forthcoming. I suppose it happens.

OP
OP
Bike
2009 ST1300
Informed by RT that replacement caps are on the way. Very pleased with their customer service. After original installation of new RT springs and valves and caps I was getting some spring squeak in one fork (sounds like spring rubbing on fork tube when front suspension is compressed). RT support suggests polishing outer edges of spring with 450 grit. I will try this when I swap caps. Anyone else have any experience dealing with spring squeak?

Top Bottom