Radiator Fan

I had a faulty fan switch, now I've replaced it my fan dont work. Done the earth lead trick to see if the fan works and now it don't. How easy is it to change the fan With the tupperwear removed?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Rad Fan

I had a faulty fan switch, now I've replaced it my fan dont work. Done the earth lead trick to see if the fan works and now it don't. How easy is it to change the fan With the tupperwear removed?
Sounds like you need to verify its not something simple like a blown fuse, connector problem, etc. before swapping the fan, or have you already done that?

OP
OP

not swapped the fan yet only the fan switch. was going to but a flick switch in so i could bypass the fan switch but not done it yet

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

You misunderstood, I wasn't asking if you have already swapped out the fan, I was asking if you've already checked out all the other possible causes before swapping out the fan.

OP
OP
I had to weld the exhaust up which had to be taken off, worked before the removal of the tupperwar when bypassed the fan switch. after refit and new switch fitted fan seem to spin slow when at temperature (like loss of power). Fuse ok and power is all there

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
measure voltage at thermo switch tab when fan is operating (should be close to ground). Perhaps when you put new switch in its not making a good connection to ground, thus creating a voltage drop that's lowering the available power to the fan? Clean connector on thermo switch to make sure its not corroded and causing voltage drop. Bypass thermo switch directly to ground and see if fan speed changes.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...now I've replaced it my fan dont work.
When you reach in, can you spin the propeller by hand (cooled, stopped engine of course...)?
Those rubber well-nuts are prone to fit exactly into the gap between radiator fins and propeller blade edges; and they fall 'into place' with absolute silence... ;-)
Is the propeller sitting firmly on the shaft, or wiggling around?
Under consideration of UK climate/all year use: chances that the fan motor (ground) cable has rusted off the bracket? (you can check the fan connector for conductivity of winding -> ground with multimeter)
Aside the fuses also fuse box contacts/crimps/cabling might suffer corrosion; remove it, clean and protect also the backside.

For access to the fan the radiator, where its bracket is attached to, has to be removed, thus saddlebags, seat, both side panels, belly pan, front insert, access covers and both lower fairings need to be removed, coolant drained, etc... Cover your front fender with a rag to prevent scratching (unless you decide to remove wheel and forks to gain comfortable access/workspace).

Depending on age/mileage of the bike this 'hangar time' might be a good occasion to do the timing belt, spanner- & idler pulley, and possibly the water pump as well...

sfox618

Hawaii ST1100
Bike
Nightawk 750
My fan stopped working on my 1991 ST1100.

A prior owner installed a manual switch to turn the fan on and off. The fan was blowing the fuse every time we flipped the switch to the on position. We were able turn the fan by hand. The bi-pass switch wiring isn't very well done. It really needs to be replaced.

So I have to remove the radiator in order to get to the fan? It also sounds like I have to take basically all the plastics off the front of the bike to get to the fan and radiator.

My brother in-law is a skilled mechanic (Cars) and will be helping me with this project. He has worked on cars, semi-trucks and motorcycles. How long does this job take?
Will we need any special tools?
What parts, other then the fan will / should we replace?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for me to review? The hack that installed the switch cut some stuff out.

Anything else I should know?
Suggestions on anything else we should test before we start the project?

Thanks - Sean

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Ya, maybe the switch was mis-wired and is shorting the +12 volts to ground, or some such other problem. Have your Bro in-law bring a meter over and get an electrical diagram for him to work with. Otherwise you are wasting your & his time without a meter & electrical diagram for troubleshooting. Most electrical problems are easy to fix ( it's not magic ) with these two aids. Good luck, it should be fixed after a few coffee's or other beverage.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Here is a LINK to one.

No special tools needed. You might want to look at this link also and print out the sheets to keep track of all the fasteners that you remove.
He is working on an 1100, you provided a link to the 1300 wiring diagram and tupperware worksheet.

To the OP:

don't assume the fan is what's causing the fuse to blow, it could easily be some of the customized wiring that is shorting out somewhere. If that's the case you're going to have to trace that out first before doing anything else because it will continue to blow the fuse until you fix that issue.

I'd also suggest you remove the wires from the fan to isolate it from the rest of the system and test it. Jumper two leads from the battery to the fan to see if it works and turns properly. Just give it a quick tap to see it turn because if it is drawing too much current you don't have a fuse in your jumper wires. If you have a jumper wire with an inline fuse that would be even better.

I've attached a scan of the schematic for the non-ABS ST, some of the margins are bad but it should work for you.

fan_0002.jpg

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Here, try this: colored wiring diagrams in the ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom:
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3908.0
Easy to print out and match/join halves. I always carry a copy on the ST in my aux tool kit. The colors match the actual wires on the STeed.
HTH

John
via iPhone 4S
Looks like I'm off to my friendly copy center in town today.

BTW John, Who is that picture of in the above link ?? Your younger brother, maybe ??

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
My fan stopped working on my 1991 ST1100.

A prior owner installed a manual switch to turn the fan on and off. The fan was blowing the fuse every time we flipped the switch to the on position. We were able turn the fan by hand. The bi-pass switch wiring isn't very well done. It really needs to be replaced.

So I have to remove the radiator in order to get to the fan? It also sounds like I have to take basically all the plastics off the front of the bike to get to the fan and radiator.

My brother in-law is a skilled mechanic (Cars) and will be helping me with this project. He has worked on cars, semi-trucks and motorcycles. How long does this job take?
Will we need any special tools?
What parts, other then the fan will / should we replace?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for me to review? The hack that installed the switch cut some stuff out.

Anything else I should know?
Suggestions on anything else we should test before we start the project?

Thanks - Sean

Sean,
Hey I'm just a couple of hours away. I could bring some tools over. I have had more than one ST1100 down to just a frame before. .
Besides. ... IT looks like we are going to be getting more snow here in Washington State.

Top Bottom