Capt_Gruuvy: Four years to today or what I have learned about filing for Disability

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
First off I want to update you all on my diagnosis. Last time we chatted I was diagnosed with Advanced Dementia. This was a radical statement and incorrect. I have an Executive Cognitive Disorder which effects my ability to speak and remember. I am way too alert for dementia. Still no recovery from this. Lifestyle adjustments are in order.

This is really good news compared to the dismal diagnosis prior.

Secondly, I had mentioned that I had not been able to work. I have not worked since Aug 2011. Assume that everything you imagine would happen to you if you had not worked this long has happened to me. We have lost everything but .... we are debt free now and live in a comfortable little rental and drive a free car. God has been very good to us.

Next, I have finally received my Fully Favorable letter from SSI. This is huge. This took three years to complete and within that time it is a bunch of hurry up and wait to be denied. So this is what I want you to take away from this adventure; File early, file with an attorney. I figured that the paperwork and Drs information I had would get me through this system in one try. This was not the case. I was denied three times before I got a hearing date and was able to plead my case before a judge. I had an attorney at this time. If you think you need to apply for SSDI benefits do not wait. Every event take 6 months to process.

Here's what I have learned about some natural remedies. Coconut oil is great. I fry my eggs in it. So much better tasting than butter. I use Coconut oil in the wok. I cook alot of chinese food. I also take 2000mg of Omega 3 and 250mg of B12 each day. I walk each day and do a little Yoga workout that keeps me in shape. My meds have a weight gain issue so I struggle to remain just shy of 210lbs. The benefits of the natural remedies is that I remain a little more even in mood and physical condition.

Here is what I learned about dealing with my memory issues. I have tried everything that seems appropriate for assisting my memory. I have a nice phone that does really cool stuff and even has a Calender, voice recorder and Notes app. None of this is worth it. I use a little notebook and a pen. I can't remember squat. If I put anything in the phone I cannot remember to look at the Calendar again. Even alarmed entries are eventually forgotten. The pen and paper is looked at more often.

Here is what I think about riding again. I really want to. But, since I cannot drive over 30 minutes without some issue such as "Where am I going" a big boy bike is out of the question. I would like a smaller (600 or so) bike that I can ride locally. I don't get out much since I have no place to go but every so often there is an errand I'd like to run. Maybe a scooter would be good for this.

Here's the bottom line in case you didn't read the above since I was long winded: I'm facing a better future than was originally diagnosed. I have learned to deal with my disability that allows me to function fairly well. SSI is a process best played out by professionals. Riding is no longer something that I simply cannot do .... I can ride, just with limitations.

I hope you cats are well. I miss hanging out here with you. Hopefully I can get another bike here soon and participate in some riding adventures.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Re: Capt_Gruuvy: Four years to today or what I have learned about filing for Disabili

I hope you're able to do some riding soon. Hang in there and let us know how it's going.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Capt_Gruuvy: Four years to today or what I have learned about filing for Disabili

Well, I'm glad your diagnosis was wrong and turned out better!
How about if you use a GPS and have it give you directions when riding?

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #

How about if you use a GPS and have it give you directions when riding?
This is a requirement now for long drives. It is so frustrating. Unless I have been somewhere before and know where I am going I get lost every time so a GPS is important to me. I think that a GPS and riding buddy would allow me to ride longer distances.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Mark, it has been one heck of an ordeal for you and because you are a fighter, you've managed it the best you could!

It is really great to hear from you and that you are doing as well as you are.

We miss you here and hope and :pray1: for the best for you always!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

Good news......glad you're still around and coping (pretty well, it sounds like, considering and all).....you know you don't need a bike to hang around here.....keep reading and posting......and keep learning how to adjust.........good thoughts and wishes.................ff

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Nice to read up on you!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

I hope you cats are well. I miss hanging out here with you. Hopefully I can get another bike here soon and participate in some riding adventures.
Great to read your post. Sorry for your troubles but glad to read that they're better than 1st indicated and you've stickhandled (it's a Canadian thing) thru the red tape and bureaucracy.

Here's hoping a gruuvy bike comes your way soon.

All the best Capt'n ... & keep on postin'

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #

Mark, really good to hear from you again. You have been missed here. Glad your table was turned in the right direction for you. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sent from my Galaxy 2014

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Glad to read your post Cap. I've wondered from time to time about your journey since the original (mis) diagnosis. The human spirit is fantastic - thanks for sharing with us.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #

Mark, I'm so vary glad to read you and your family are getting along! I'm glad you continue to work around your disability(ies). All the best to you and yours in the future.

Bike
st1300 vfr800

Glad that things are looking better for you and your family hopefully rididng will become part of your routine again even for short jaunts around home . I cannot imagine how your system works to tie everything up for such a long period of time ,you certainly are a fighter .Thanks for the incite and may God bless .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Hang in there bud.... Great to see you drop in .

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Good to hear from you Mark... Thanks for checking in with the update! Is your son still going to school up in Rocklin?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

That is good news and you know you don't need a bike to stop in here and chat with us. Glad to see thing are finally stabilizing for you.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

Best wishes, Cap'n. I hope things can keep on getting better, and that you can get out to ride some. Cheers.

Glad to learn that you have some positive strategies & control over the situation(s)!... and thanks for sharing your experience(s)!... like you mentioned... get connected with a riding buddy that can get you back home... after all... the ride does not really need a destination... take care!& best to you...:):03biker:

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Great to hear from you Cpt., hang in there and continue to see the best in things; great perspective.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius

Thanks for the update, Mark! I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up and that your future is so much brighter than first anticipated!
Good thoughts to you! Take good care of yourself and don't be a stranger!

Patty

Top Bottom