Trophy SE Thoughts?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I am just wondering if you guys still have your bikes? Did Triumph get everything taken care of on your bikes? And what is your long term opinion of the Trophy?
2017 was the last year of production for the Trophy. There are some good deals out there on left over 2017 models. I might have to add another Triumph to the stable. My 2015 Tiger 800 XCX has been rock solid and oh so much fun to ride!

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I am just wondering if you guys still have your bikes? Did Triumph get everything taken care of on your bikes? And what is your long term opinion of the Trophy?
2017 was the last year of production for the Trophy. There are some good deals out there on left over 2017 models. I might have to add another Triumph to the stable. My 2015 Tiger 800 XCX has been rock solid and oh so much fun to ride!
I've read on other forums about some final drive issues... not sure what model years or if it's been resolved. Other than that every review I've read has been extremely positive.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Thank you very much. I will look into that. I see the first year had some problems. I'm hoping they got everything taken care of. The Explorer had a few problems at first. Triumph took care of them.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I still have the Trophy which now has 40,000 miles on it. It's been reliable since the first year or so when all the recalls/TSBs were performed. The only thing I've done since 2014 is change the oil and filter and the clutch slave cylinder which was the victim of the manufacturing process. Quite a few of us got a slave cylinder that had an internal seal corner folded over which subsequently caused it to fail and leak internally. Its not an expensive part and Triumph replaced it under warranty regardless of mileage or time. Since I was out of warranty I ordered it and replaced it myself and couldn't get it refunded.

I'm on my third Yusa battery--for some reason they don't seem to last as long as they did on my Gold Wing or ST-1300. After six years both batteries for the TPMS died and I had to spring for new ones. I don't consider that a failure, but replacement of wear items. Unfortunately you have to replace the whole sender in the tire as the battery is not replaceable separately.

There have been a few rear drive failures (around $1,500) and Triumph redesigned it on later models. It's a non-replaceable seal issue. One side can be replaced and the other side can't. Mine hasn't been an issue so far.

I've had no issues with my 2011 Tiger XC800.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I test rode a new 2017 Trophy. They discontinued the Trophy. It was marked down quite a bit. I really liked it and should have bought it. I might still end up getting one. I did a lot of research on them. They seem to be a rock solid dependable bike.
I test rode a 2018 Tiger 800 XCX Saturday. They made 200 changes to them for this year. It is a major improvement over my 2015! And I absolutely love my 2015.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Well, I just completed the 20K service on the Trophy and it's quite the job. It took me about two hours to get the fairings off the bike to get down to the gas tank. I could do it in about 45 minutes next time. It's really nice that, except for two plastic clips, everything is held on by a threaded fastener and there are only two different lengths to keep track of. Once you get the fairing off, removing the gas tank is pretty straight forward. I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, engine coolant and brake fluid and adjusted the valves and throttle bodies. You need software to balance the throttle bodies and bleed the ABS brake unit. I paid about $100 for Dealer Tool from England to do that. Adjusting the valves requires removing the camshafts and the manual calls for some pretty exotic tools to measure camshaft rotation angles. A guy on the Trophy forum came up with a workaround that doesn't require purchasing those specialized tools. All in all it went pretty well. Dealers charge upwards of $1000 for that service and I spent about $350 including the software.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Glad the Triumph is still doing you right. I'm sad to say I only have 14,000 on my 15 Tiger 800. It shares time with 3 other bikes. I didn't but that new Trophy. I should have probably. I sure did like it. My local dealer had a steal of a deal on a used one with 7,000 miles on it about a month ago. It didn't last long at all.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
No, they are just about giving them away. Mine was a bargain, $13K with 3200 miles on it in 2013. It's such a comfortable bike and worth so little now, I'll probably keep it until I'm done riding. I'm looking to find another Tiger 800 to carry in the bed of my truck behind my motor home. I had one, but it wasn't getting ridden much since I had the Trophy, a Gold Wing, a CB1100F and the Tiger. Now I wish I'd kept it.

Bike
VStrom 650
No, they are just about giving them away. Mine was a bargain, $13K with 3200 miles on it in 2013. It's such a comfortable bike and worth so little now, I'll probably keep it until I'm done riding. I'm looking to find another Tiger 800 to carry in the bed of my truck behind my motor home. I had one, but it wasn't getting ridden much since I had the Trophy, a Gold Wing, a CB1100F and the Tiger. Now I wish I'd kept it.
Do you guys and gals get the Sprint GT over there, I've sat on one a couple of times, quite nice in a sport tourer GT sort of way.
Upt'North.
22467.jpeg

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
The Sprint GT was before the Trophy. We got them here. They are a very nice bike. Chain and no bells and whistles. The Trophy is more like a RT or a FJR ES. Or like the ST should be.
I have a 2015 Tiger 800 XCX. I had my suspicion set up for me. What a difference. It handles so much better than my ST or my 2016 BMW R1200RS on twisty roads. And it is all day comfortable to tour on. And when the pavement ends, keep going. It is my favorite bike of all 4 that I own.
I hope you find yourself another one. 16 and newer went to 20K valve checks. Mine is 12K. 200 upgrades on the 2018. It really is a lot better out the box than mine.

Bike
VStrom 650
The Sprint GT was before the Trophy. We got them here. They are a very nice bike. Chain and no bells and whistles. The Trophy is more like a RT or a FJR ES. Or like the ST should be.
I have a 2015 Tiger 800 XCX. I had my suspicion set up for me. What a difference. It handles so much better than my ST or my 2016 BMW R1200RS on twisty roads. And it is all day comfortable to tour on. And when the pavement ends, keep going. It is my favorite bike of all 4 that I own.
I hope you find yourself another one. 16 and newer went to 20K valve checks. Mine is 12K. 200 upgrades on the 2018. It really is a lot better out the box than mine.
I didn't actually realise that the bikes seem to have been dropped, both the GT and Trophy aren't on the Triumph UK website. The page might just be being updated but it seems they've gone. If they have it doesn't surprise me as both were slow sellers and I would have thought easily outsold by the tiger 8 and 1200's. They both could be victim of EU emissions. Shame. But taking on the RT was never going to be easy.
Upt'North.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
2017 was the last year for the Trophy. Another good sport touring bike that bit the dust. I'm not sure what the last year was for the Sprint GT. Both are very nice bikes that seem to be very reliable.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Do you guys and gals get the Sprint GT over there, I've sat on one a couple of times, quite nice in a sport tourer GT sort of way.
Upt'North.
Only used. I looked at one before I bought the trophy and they are definitely at the sportier end of the spectrum. The riding position for the trophy is more gold wing than ST.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
An update: My final drive failed after 7 years -- the 2012 and 2013 models were prone to do that and Triumph fixed a lot of them out of warranty. I guess they finally stopped doing that. For ~$1,900 I got the final drive that they are installing on the Tiger Explorer so I shouldn't have anymore issues with it. It's a supremely comfortable bike to ride and since they discontinued it, their resale value has gone way down. I might as well keep it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
May 2020 and I the Trophy is still hanging in there. If winter wasn't our prime riding season here, I'd probably trade it off on a mid size adventure tourer, but that huge fairing makes riding in 30-50 degree temps a walk in the park.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Well I traded in my 2016 BMW R1200RS in on a 2017 Trophy SE Wednesday. Going to sell the 2007 ST after 15 years. Two Triumph's in the garage now. Can't wait to get a chance to ride it.
As long as Tammi is okay with selling the ST......

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Well I traded in my 2016 BMW R1200RS in on a 2017 Trophy SE Wednesday. Going to sell the 2007 ST after 15 years. Two Triumph's in the garage now. Can't wait to get a chance to ride it.

Hey Keith,

The Trophy SE is one I have considered (in addition to the RT). Seeing how you had the RS and now have the Trophy, I would be very interested to read your impression and comparison of the two! Maybe I'll see you around at a RTE sometime. :)

--Dave

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
As long as Tammi is okay with selling the ST......
I have to find a too box and see if I need to change seats. She is perfectly comfortable on the ST. We did 300 mile the day of your RTE. I could just park it in her garage so we can ride it when I’m there.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Hey Keith,

The Trophy SE is one I have considered (in addition to the RT). Seeing how you had the RS and now have the Trophy, I would be very interested to read your impression and comparison of the two! Maybe I'll see you around at a RTE sometime. :)

--Dave
Hopefully we can meet for a RTE and you can ride it. Hope to put some miles on it during my next days off. I think I am really going to like it though.

Top Bottom