Trophy SE Thoughts?

STOC #
Now that the Trophy SE has been out for a while I am looking for what the thoughts are about the Trophy vs. the ST1300. I know there were some electronic issues in 2013 but they seem to have been sorted out.

Magazine reviews are OK as far as they go but to me they focus way to much on "latest and greatest" looks and technology and are heavily influenced by the horsepower front. And of course they have completely forgotten about the ST in these comparisons.

What is the Trophy like in real power terms? What is it like to live with?

:slv13:

Cheers,

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Go ride one and decide. It will either speak to you or not. Don't worry about quality, it is fine. Coming up on three years and 30,000 miles on my Tiger (my first Triumph). Would be more miles if I had more time and money.:( I have never owned one bike this long. No plans to replace it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
First the bad--my Trophy is waiting on parts for an ECM recall, center stand recall, and TSB to replace the cylinder head. I had only a few of the electronic problems that have dogged the bike and none of the serious throttle position sensor problems which actually shut the bike down. Apparently they are blaming all those on the ECM. I had things like it not finding the audio system, randomly resetting the trip computer and multiple low voltage announcements which cause multiple functionality issues with the electronic doodads, but don't stop the bike from being started and ridden.

The good, most of these glitches seem to have been fixed--there is a redesigned ECM, cylinder head, center stand, and a multitude of other things modified about halfway through 2013 production. My bike is a very early model.

Its funny about the power--most reviews tout the extra HP of the 1215 cc triple, but the Trophy's exhaust is different than the Tiger Explorers and drops HP by about 10. Compared to the ST, I'd say they are about even. I often used the word "seamless" to describe the acceleration of the ST and that also applies to the Trophy. There isn't any sudden hit of power, it just accelerates quickly. Not in sport bike territory, but it definitely moves and while it has tremendous roll on torque, I think the ST probably has it beat in a top gear roll on. It has a six speed gear box so that may affect things. I tend to ignore 6th until I'm going to be riding over 70 mph for an extended amount of time. 5th seems just right for 70 mph.

It vibrates more than the ST. Its smooth, but not like a V4 or my Gold Wing, I'd say it feels more like an in-line four in that regard. Having said that, you don't feel it much unless you look for it as rubber foot pegs and bar end weights keep that tingling out of your feet and hands. The mirrors are fairing mounted so they aren't fuzzy. You can feel just how much vibration there is by putting your pinky on one of the bar end weights. There is a considerable amount of buzzing going on there that I don't feel on my Gold Wing and didn't feel on the ST.

Weather protection on the ST was excellent, better than the Gold Wing in my opinion. The upper body protection of the Trophy is just as good as the ST and the lower body protection is better and the mirrors do a better job of keeping the wind off your hands. Speaking of mirrors, they aren't any better than the STs. I get a good view of my knuckles and the top of the saddle bags. You can see what's behind you between the two. The Trophy fairing seems much bigger than the STs and you sit closer to it.

The Trophy is lighter than the ST and looks bigger so it's kind of an odd riding experience at first because you just expect it to be a handful. It's quite agile when you're riding it, but like the ST is top heavy at low speed. I replaced the low seat (standard in North America) with the regular seat and the bike is all day comfortable now. I rode the 200 miles from Abilene to Salado on the low seat and was ready to get off after just three hours. You sit more up right and your feet are a little bit in front of you compared to the ST. In fact the foot position feels too far forward and I ride with my toes on the pegs 90 percent of the time.

The Trophy has more lean angle than the ST and I've not scraped anything yet. That comes at the expense of being a very tall bike. I have a 32" inseam and can't come close to flat footing the bike. I guess that is a trade off between the regular and low seat. Since its lighter it changes direction a little quicker than the ST and the adjustable suspension is better than the STs in normal and sport. In comfort it feels a lot like the ST did and its easy to overwhelm the rear if riding very fast. I will say that the ergonomics of the ST are better for very aggressive riding than the Trophy's as it feels like I'm just sitting too up right to really take advantage of the bike.

I get around 50 mph on every day riding, but it goes down quickly as your speed increases. Once I leave central Texas and head west, the speed limits on most roads are 75 with some at 80 mph and at those speeds gas mileage is close to 40. You're pushing a really big fairing through the wind. I had a Clearview GT large screen with Gold Wing vent on my ST and it was perfect for me. The stock Trophy screen is smaller and there isn't a lot of aftermarket support out there yet, but I'd like a set up similar to what I had on the ST. The Triumph touring screen is wider and taller, but doesn't have a vent. You don't get pulled forward like I did with the stock ST windscreen and don't slide toward the gas tank on the seat.

Maintenance on the ST couldn't be easier and the Trophy seems more like the Gold Wing in that regard. You have to remove the fairing and gas tank to change the air filter! Valve adjustments are every 20K and fairly complicated according to the service manual. Triumph uses a lot of threaded fasteners for the plastic parts instead of those plastic clips which makes it easier to remove and replace the plastic. There doesn't seem to be a zillion different size ones either. The oil filters sticks out the side of the engine for easy access and the interval is 10K. Its definitely a bike designed to be ridden a long way and often.

I think the Trophy is closer to the ST in terms of riding experience than any other bike I've ridden. In fact, I think Honda would be better served by upgrading the ST, like Yamaha did the FJR, than designing a whole new platform around the VFR-1200 engine. If they did, they'd end up with the Trophy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nakerr
STOC #
Thanks for the excellent report. Looking and sitting on the Trophy (in showroom, way to much winter here otherwise) I have a real d?j?-vu feel. The bike gives me the impression of what a 2014 ST should be.

I think that I probably will finally be making a change. After 45 years of Hondas, though, I am nervous. :scared2:

:slv13:

Cheers,

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Norm I see you are still looking for something new, Jim Allen in Whitecourt has the new Trophy and I have seen it on a ride to Slave Lake this past year, nice bike, very sweet sound. He may have some knowledge to share with you, he is a little taller then yourself and managed the bike very well. Have you already sold the ST or are you still in the dreaming stage?

OP
OP
nakerr
STOC #
Hi Rob, I still have the ST. My wife just gave me the tentative OK to move ahead with something. Have looked at the new BMW as well as the Triumph and am leaning toward the Triumph. The BMW is nice but I think that I may not want to deal with the costs, etc of a BMW.

Cheers,

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
For me, the deal breaker would have been the seat.

http://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,885.63.html

You can see the difference on in this thread starting at post 63.

The regular seat fixes all the issues for me--too little leg room, sliding you toward the tank, thin padding. They also make a gel seat, but I've heard some bad reviews of that.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
One last thing, did I mention its a tall bike? I put it on the side stand on uneven ground once and it was leaning a little more to the left than normal. I couldn't push it back upright with my left leg. The only leverage I could get was my ankle joint and I didn't have enough strength to do it. I had to get off the bike, straighten it up then jump on it. No big deal, but it just shows you how tall it really is. When backing out of the garage it's almost all foot and ankle with very little hip involved.

OP
OP
nakerr
STOC #
Well, I made the decision. Ordered a Pacific Blue 2014 Triumph Trophy SE on friday. Have received the VIN # already but the bike is still in the UK and depending upon ships, weather, ext. It will be here on March 14.

Now I need to either sell the 2007 ST1300A privately or strip off the Clearview shield, Corbin heated front saddle, MCL tip over bars, etc and get it to the dealer for trade evaluation. Either way need to get rid of 12 inches of snow and ice to access the bike.

After 45 years of Hondas this is a little scary.:scared2:

Cheers,

Norm

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Congratulations. Order the tall seat ($189) and your butt and knees will be happy campers! BTW, you can order stuff on-line from Triumph and have it delivered to your dealer free of charge. They probably don't stock many accessories and it will save a trip.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I got the Trophy back from the ECM recall, center stand recall and cylinder head replacement the first week of March. Everything was great for about a week. The bike was much quieter with none of the top end clatter it had before and I guess the center stand and ECM were working better. Eight days after I picked up the bike it wouldn't start with the electric start button. I could push start it, so everything but the button was working.

I took it in and it seems that the right hand switch gear cable pulled out of the connector at the bottom end where it plugs into the main harness. The cable was too short for the bars to turn full lock in both directions without pulling on the connector. There has been some suspicion on the Trophy forums that the cable was too short because others had experienced different situations where functions of the right switch gear didn't work. An informal inspection of a few different bikes found that some of the cables were routed under the front brake line and others were routed over it down near the steering head. Just that small routing difference seemed to determine if you would have problems with the switch gear or not. I wonder if the cable on my bike was routed differently during the service.

Triumph finally decided that the cable was too short and redesigned the assembly to lengthen it a couple inches. The problem is the new one isn't available today, and Triumph won't authorize my dealer to replace the cable with the current version. Triumph says the cable will be available this week and in the US next week. They also said this will be a TSB or maybe even a recall since it can cause the bike to die while you're riding it down the road.

Triumph has been aggressively addressing the teething problems they've had with the Trophy, but its still frustrating to have to take the bike in repeatedly for recalls and TSBs. It seems Triumph didn't do enough product testing on the Trophy to ensure it's reliability, which is unusual since I have not heard that any of their other recent models had issues like this. It's a shame because when its working well, the Trophy is a brilliant modern motorcycle with all the latest technology.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
You have to Triumph credit for admitting to a flaw and doing something about it. Many others wouldn't/haven't.

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
So I am sure you will be anxious to get out for a ride once all this snow and it's effects have cleared out of our region. When do you take possession of your new bike Norm?

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Assuming that it does not snow again or get even colder I am scheduled to pick up on Saturday; if weather holds will tell them I will want it on Friday.
Congrats on the new bike Norm. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Assuming that it does not snow again or get even colder I am scheduled to pick up on Saturday; if weather holds will tell them I will want it on Friday.
Congrats! You'll love it and I hope Triumph has the bugs fixed in the 2014.

Top Bottom