Tire changers - Mount without trailer hitch?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I am thinking of buying a tire changer and was wondering how to mount it without a trailer hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Mine just has 2 2x4s. One across the back mount and one across the front mount. The previous owner had the 2x4s bolted down. I don't change a whole bunch of tires so I just put my feet on the 2x4s. Would probably be better bolted down but really not bad. 2x4s are 2 1/3-3 feet long.

Bike
Suzuki SV650
I know several guys that mount their changers to a sheet of plywood that they stand on while they're working. When not in use, the changer is unbolted from the plywood and both get stored away for the future. I drilled some holes in my basement floor and tapped in threaded inserts. That way there's nothing to trip over when I have the changer stashed under my work bench.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you don't plan on moving it, I just lag bolted mine using concrete anchors to my garage floor. Use pretty good size ones as there can be a lot of 'stress' put on the unit sometimes. You can always drill bigger holes in the feet to accommodate larger bolts.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
If you don't plan on moving it, I just lag bolted mine using concrete anchors to my garage floor. Use pretty good size ones as there can be a lot of 'stress' put on the unit sometimes. You can always drill bigger holes in the feet to accommodate larger bolts.
+1.....changed many tars & No-Mar no move.

John

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Re: Tire changers - Mount without trailer hitch?

I know several guys that mount their changers to a sheet of plywood that they stand on while they're working. When not in use, the changer is unbolted from the plywood and both get stored away for the future.
I did something similar to this but used a pallet. It disassembles and is out of the way when not in use. I might try the threaded inserts though, the pallet doesn't give you much room to stand.

Dennis

Top Bottom