Tire Watch TPMS.....any experience with it?

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
Has anyone used or had any experience with the Tire Watch TPMS
http://tirewatch.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Media-Release-20121.pdf

Here's an interesting article from the Iron Butt boys
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag4-p76-83.pdf

I see it's been sold in EU and AU and is now sold in NA by Murph.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=421

Here's some info I got from from Murph:

What is NEW in the "new & improved version" due out this December?............The battery can be ?pinged? with a tool to check voltage

What is the tire pressure range (PSI)?...........99PSI

Is the display unit waterproof?..............Yes

Can the battery in the tire sensor unit be changed.........Was not meant to be, but people have done it

Can you purchase a new sensor?,Cost of replacement sensors?..........As of right now we don?t have single sensors available?

Andy

Bike
06 ST1300
Looks like no one has one of these. I was searching for info about them but not much out there. They seem to be used in the UK but not much info from there probable couldn't read it any way. I may go with the Doran and carry a small heat sensor in my pocket for when I stop for fuel run a heat check on a walk around. I run two up loaded a lot and heat build up is a concern. If you find some good reliable info post it.

Paul

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
To me, the ideal system has replaceable sensor batteries, waterproof display primarily. I have a Doran on the FJR and like it, but every couple of years or so you need new sensors ($25 ea.). I bought another system from China, which is the one at tpms.ca except cheaper direct from China via ebay. Batteries are replaceable but the display is not waterproof. It's going on the V-Strom. If you get a Doran, mount the sensors externally and remove them for bike storage as they do not transmit at 0 pressure thus saving batteries.
The Tire Watch is likely to require sensor replacement similar to the now discontinued SmartTire (it was THE best). I would be skeptical of all the battery life claims.

Paul, I recommend you keep the rear tire pressure at 44 psi which will minimize heat build-up and give you better tire life. I run 44 all the time.

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
My Orange Electronics rear sensor failed to transmit when I took my bike out of storage. worked approx. 2 years with no problem.

I purchased a Tire Watch from Murph's and I'm waiting for a few warmer days before I pull the tires and install the TW.

The Tire watch doesn't start transmitting until you've hit 20 kph (12 mph) so that should extend battery life. The Orange sensors transmitted all the time.

I've had the tire watch system on my ST for over 15000 miles, and haven't had any problems, apart from losing a bit of pressure from the rear tire over a few weeks. Not worth reseating everything, but the Tire Watch has performed flawlessly. I wrote my original ST off, and used the wheels and tires off it when my replacement ST's tires were worn, so the batteries do tend to last well. I installed the system in 2012, and I've only just had new tires fitted to the later model rims and transferred the sensors over. No problems there either. When they stop working, I'll see if the batteries can be replaced, but new sensor units are available out here (Oz) for not too many $$, and if I can replace the batteries, I might even buy new sensors and use the old ones in my other bike(s), as the receiver only has to pair with a set of sensors to work with them. That way, I can just move the receiver to whichever bike I'm riding and it just works.

I've also been running 44PSI in the rear, and I've noticed that the rear tire doesn't get as hot as it did with 42PSI. Also doesn't quite hit the same hot pressure, so it must for working better with the extra 2PSI.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been using the HawksHead TPMS from B.C. Canada - waterproof head, long lasting battery (USB Charged) and I have been super pleased with them on all three of my ST1100s. The caps have CR1225 button batteries that you can replace. They 'sync' up quick and also have a backlight sensor for when it gets dark. The upper/lower range is adjustable and so is the max temp. So far, a really great piece of kit! I've been told the caps are the same ones that the Garmin TPMS uses.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
That tire watch system looks good. I prefer inside-the-tire sensors to the ones that screw to the step externally and hold the schrader valve open. The Mobiltron system looks very similar to the old SmarTire system.

Top Bottom