First Harley Test Ride!

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
In their defense I have to say that when I'm on the road & haven't seen anything for a half hour or better, here will come a Harley along solo. Even the few times I run the interstate I see more Harleys than anything else. These aren't the loud pipe guys or boutique bikes but baggers--those guys are closer to big towns or cities. I've talked to a few that put on a bunch of miles, just like some of the ST guys.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I'm one of those who think if you like it, brings a smile to your face, go for it! But I just ran across this article. And disagree with some of it, everyone has an opinion.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/is-harley-davidson-the-worst-motorcycle-money-can.aspx
At least for a "sound" reason not to buy [a?] Harley, I found this the article's most interesting point: "Harley carries the highest price-to-earnings ratio, selling for nearly 20 times trailing earnings, "

Styles

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Sounds like a challenge. Tell him to get the title and put up or shut up.
Don't try that with a Vrod...pretty even...depends on the rider.......and yeah, even though I dis the 10 miles to a bar group.....out west I see every year a bunch of guys doing serious miles on dressers....to each their own.....................ff

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I have a friend who wanted a Harley in the worst way he had Suzuki, Honda and a Kawasaki. His dad passed away and left him a little money. He of course bought a used low rider Harley of some type. He lives in Evansville about 2 hr at best from me. After 3 or4 trips from here back to Evansville he said it best. " I thought I wanted a Harley but it vibrates so bad I can only ride a hour at a time, boy those things are overrated, I made a mistake. "

Bike
2003 ST1300
For me, the Harley's suspension is too limited and the floor board position doesn't allow me enough flex or weight transfer to my feet. That's it. I have ridden my buddy's Ultra Glide and found it to be extremely comfortable. That's the trap: comfortable on a smooth highway doesn't translate to comfortable on rough twisty roads. Yet still, my buddy keeps up with me thru most twisties, and does so for hours at a time. So I say this: Beware of the man who only owns one gun, he likely knows how to use it.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't try that with a Vrod...pretty even...depends on the rider.......and yeah, even though I dis the 10 miles to a bar group.....out west I see every year a bunch of guys doing serious miles on dressers....to each their own.....................ff
Yeah, but the Harley crowd doesn't consider the Vrod a "real motorcycle" either.

I have ridden a Vrod and think it would give an ST1300 a run for its money.................................................Until you hit a turn.

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
My stepdad, a 50 year Harley rider, has an Electraglide. We traded bikes one day, his bike felt like it had wooden brakes, suspension was bouncy, didn't want to turn, the power was not even close. I know, apples & oranges. After 25 miles, I wanted to trade back, and he wanted to keep riding my ST, asking me "what's the rush?". I'd rather ride my 40 year old GT.

I'd be interested if Harley came out with a lightweight version of the 500 or 750 that's debuting soon.

For me, the Harley's suspension is too limited and the floor board position doesn't allow me enough flex or weight transfer to my feet. That's it. I have ridden my buddy's Ultra Glide and found it to be extremely comfortable. That's the trap: comfortable on a smooth highway doesn't translate to comfortable on rough twisty roads. Yet still, my buddy keeps up with me thru most twisties, and does so for hours at a time. So I say this: Beware of the man who only owns one gun, he likely knows how to use it.
I like the end quote. Very true. Harleys aren't that bad, the older ones are underpowered nad overrated but I think that they're really just overpriced. I'm also not a fan of HD's cult fan base who are willling to pay 30$ for one of their branded shirts.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Well, I like Harleys. I've owned two in the last 7 years and enjoyed riding them both. I also like dirt bikes, big touring bikes and smaller sport bikes. I don't ride the Harley as far as I ride the Gold Wing, but I didn't ride the Blackbird or XL350 as far either. Right now I have a three singles, a V-Twin, a triple, a couple in-line fours and a flat six. Guess what? They're all different! What you guys seem to miss is there are a bunch of other bikes out there that you don't like either, but you focus on Harley Davidson. Why? I know for a fact that most of you wouldn't want to ride a CBR1000R very far either, but I don't hear a bunch of whining about how you don't "get" the riding position, don't like stunting on the highway and don't want to wear a helmet with that Trojan brush thing on top either!

I don't dress like a pirate and very few of my friends that own Harleys do either. I do wear a leather jacket on the Harley instead of the synthetic jacket I usually wear, but it seems appropriate for the bike.

Harley-Davidson is selling a lifestyle/brotherhood/image, as well as a motorcycle. Harley is excellent, one of the best, at marketing and branding themselves to the public. Harley's customer base is very loyal; I read one of the highest of any company in any industry in the world. With very few exceptions, the Japanese manufacturers sell only motorcycles. Yes Harleys suffer when comparing performance capabilities or reliability to a typical Japanese bike, however they appeal to the subjective side of alot of people. Would I consider purchasing a Harley? No, the cruiser is my least favorite design, and Harleys typically have minimal performance, therefore they don't sell anything that would interest me. The fact that H-D dominates the large motorcycle segment in America vindicates their strategies. I have alot of family and friends who don't understand why I am passionate about motorcycling, but motorcycling appeals to me in a way that can't be satisfied in other pursuits. H-D has tapped into that very effectively. Ride whatever make and model that meets your needs. What irritates me is the attitude that many Harley riders have towards other riders. Harleys are far from 'exclusive', and people don't have to be a big, tough man to ride a 'real' motorcycle.

Bike
2013 st 1300
Don?t think that bike would be comfortable for a ride of more than an hour.

For my buck, the ST is a much better touring machine. I love the vibration free engine, more power than I ever have used in 30,000 miles, and what I perceive to be a comfortable suspension. ....
I rode a stock Superglide across Can and back in 15 days. I really had no problems with comfort. I actually found it more comfortable than my stock ST, mostly because I could move my legs around alot. The ST is definitely a better touring machine than the Superglide though. I never rode a Harley touring bike. I traded the Harley for the ST because of the reliability of the ST.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Well, I like Harleys. I've owned two in the last 7 years and enjoyed riding them both. I also like dirt bikes, big touring bikes and smaller sport bikes. I don't ride the Harley as far as I ride the Gold Wing, but I didn't ride the Blackbird or XL350 as far either. Right now I have a three singles, a V-Twin, a triple, a couple in-line fours and a flat six. Guess what? They're all different! What you guys seem to miss is there are a bunch of other bikes out there that you don't like either, but you focus on Harley Davidson. Why? I know for a fact that most of you wouldn't want to ride a CBR1000R very far either, but I don't hear a bunch of whining about how you don't "get" the riding position, don't like stunting on the highway and don't want to wear a helmet with that Trojan brush thing on top either!

I don't dress like a pirate and very few of my friends that own Harleys do either. I do wear a leather jacket on the Harley instead of the synthetic jacket I usually wear, but it seems appropriate for the bike.
Must be nice to have such a harem. :)
I had a '72 Electra Glide that would make my hands and feet numb in a few mins riding on the interstate.

Top Bottom